Ask The Apex

Hamilton is as close as you're going to get in recent memory, finishing above Alonso in the championship but equal on points in 2007. I'm not sure you'll find a more impressive début either. I haven't got the knowledge or memory to come up with a better answer, recent well respected newcomers like Perez, Di Resta, Rosberg and Hulkenberg haven't managed.

EDIT: Josh wins :D

I know Kobayashi did in 2010. He beat de la Rosa 32 to 6 over the entire season. de la Rosa was replaced for Italy though but at that point Kobayashi already had 21 points and dlR 6 (his only points finish) so... Oh, and he beat Heidfeld too.

I don't think there's a rookie after Kobayashi who has beaten his veteran teammate, but I'm not sure!

Oh, and D'Ambrosio beat Glock in 2011 (as did di Grassi in 2010) but that was obviously not on points ;)

Some interesting ones from yester-year are Innes Ireland beating Graham Hill 5 points to Nil at Lotus in 1959 and Ayrton Senna beating Jonny Cecotto 13 points to nil at Toleman i9 1984. Both Cecotto and Hill were in their second full seasons.

The Coanda effect is an aerodynamic property of a fluid to follow a surface that is flows over

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coandă_effect

Using this effect, teams can flow the exhaust downwards and to the rear floor of the car, sealing the area between the edge of the diffuser and the wheels and ground, this in turn can allow a greater rake angle than would otherwise be possible, and hence increased downforce.

In Whitmarshes post race interview he mentioned that Hamilton is aiming for 150 points from the last 6 races. I know that is the usual manager hype but has anyone ever dominated the closing half of the season to take the championship?

I know Williams had a very strong car at the end of 91 but wasn't enough to take the title then, there's also been plenty of cases where a driver dominates the 1st half.

I'm probably being really stupid here but... Everyone keeps saying Mercedes will be much stronger in 2014 with the new engine regulations. Why is this? I thought that all customer teams had to recieve the same engine package as the works team. Therefore the manufacturer (Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull) would have no advantage in performance (over teams with the same engine)?

It would depend on how early the customer teams are allowed to have the new engine as the cars will have to be designed around the engine not only on size and layout but in terms of power delivery and drivability the new engines will have a different power curve with much more low end power (Torque.) than today's power units so the suspension and drive shafts will need to deliver this effectively not to mention gearbox ratios...

So like I say if the customer teams get their engines well in advance there shouldn't be any disadvantage but get them late and they will be on the back foot....

Plus the customer teams will get to define aspects of the engine to best suit them, such as where the mounts are located. AS the works team get to define this, customer teams have to make do.

I am not sure how much is open to configuration, but any little advantage helps.

Back
Top Bottom