Ask The Apex

7) DEAD HEAT
7.1 Prizes and points awarded for all the positions of competitors who tie, will be added together and shared equally.

7.2 If two or more constructors or drivers finish the season with the same number of points, the higher place in the Championship (in either case) shall be awarded to:​
a) the holder of the greatest number of first places,​
b) if the number of first places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of second places,​
c) if the number of second places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of third places and so on until a winner emerges.​
d) if this procedure fails to produce a result, the FIA will nominate the winner according to such criteria as it thinks fit.

You've got to love line 7.2d. A typical FIA statement.

Wonder what would happen if it was a dead heat between a certain Ferrari and a certain Mclaren ;)

When was the last time only 7 (or less) cars took part in Q3?

After a brain and finger busting search through every race since 2006 there have been plenty of times when 9 cars have set a time but only three occasions when 8 cars have set a time. These were the 2009 Japanese GP, the 2011 Monaco GP and the 2011 European GP. It should be noted that at all of these GPs at least one of the two cars who didn't set a time did so because of a mechancial issue or some other issue during Q3 only once or twice did a car fail to start Q3 or opt not to do a run.

So in short, there has never been another occasion since the introduction of three part qualification when 7 or less cars have run in Q3

This one's actually a very easy question to answer, as it's addressed in the FIA F1 sporting regulations...

In qualifying, the drivers are ordered in the order they set the times... So the first person to set a time lines up ahead on the grid.....

In a race, a dead heat is sorted by:

7) DEAD HEAT
7.1 Prizes and points awarded for all the positions of competitors who tie, will be added together and shared equally.

For a championship:
7.2 If two or more constructors or drivers finish the season with the same number of points, the higher place in
the Championship (in either case) shall be awarded to :
a) the holder of the greatest number of first places,
b) if the number of first places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of second places,
c) if the number of second places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of third places and so on until a winner emerges
d) if this procedure fails to produce a result, the FIA will nominate the winner according to such criteria
as it thinks fit..

It occured to me the other day that Nick Wirth has designed two pointless cars for two different teams (Simtek and Manor) has any other designer managed to do the same and design pointless cars for more than one team?

It occured to me the other day that Nick Wirth has designed two pointless cars for two different teams (Simtek and Manor) has any other designer managed to do the same and design pointless cars for more than one team?

Good question. I should imagine there are a few. The first name that comes to mind is Gustav Brunner, he was a fixture at the back of the grid through the 80s, though I haven't gone back through the results to see how many (if any) of his cars failed to trouble the scorers.

Yep, a quick check reveals that Gustav Brunner designed pointless cars for ATS, RAM Racing and Zakspeed. He did however, manaage to design cars that scored points for Leyton House/March, Rial, Minardi and Ferrari. He was last seen in F1 as the technical director of Toyota from 2001 until 2005.

I'd expand on the question - Wasn't Nick Wirth also in charge of the design that Andrea Moda raced in 1992? (It was based on the design that Simtek did for BMW's stillborn F1 project for 1990)...

So, are there any other designers who have designed 3 pointless cars for 3 teams?

Yes, I think you're right about Reynard.

I was wondering whether the 1993 BMS Lola and the 1997 Mastercard Lola were drawn by the same hand. I can't remember the designer's name in either case.

Eric Broadley? - Although given that the MAstercard Lola project was essentially Lola's F3000 car with a slightly more powerful engine installed, I'm not sure I'd class it as an F1 car!

I think the '93 car had a fair bit of the F3000 about it as well. I know Broadley was the man in overall charge, just not sure if he was the actual designer. Given that he was behind the very first Lola in the 1960s, perhaps that would explain a thing or two, though...

Where did John Barnard fit into the design structure for Prost? I know he was employed as a consultant, but I'm not sure beyond that!

I don't know all the ins and outs of course, but as I recall it was just bits and pieces. I'm sure he'd seek to minimise his involvement now!

Back
Top Bottom