Ask The Apex

What is the rule on driving old cars in the testing ban?

Because Ferrari have given Perez a test in the 2009 car and Renault say they will give Kubica all the time he wants to retrain in thier 2009 car

I think it's unlimited in the strict sense as the testing ban is designed to control costs with regard to development and testing of the cars. The negative impact on new drivers getting experience in the current cars is an incidental and possibly unintended side effect of the ban.

Having said that I could well be wrong.:thinking:

A bit late as the thread has moved on somewhat but I'm sure in the mid '90s i read that teams often ran different wheelbases for different circuits. The geometry of the wishbones were different enabling wheels to be moved further forwards or backwards as required.

Lewis was given a shorter wheelbase McLaren chassis than they had been running earlier in 2008 at Valencia. Heikki had to wait two or three more races to receive his own. I think Lewis actually switched between the two chassis at various circuits for the remainder of the season.

A bit late as the thread has moved on somewhat but I'm sure in the mid '90s i read that teams often ran different wheelbases for different circuits. The geometry of the wishbones were different enabling wheels to be moved further forwards or backwards as required.
Also, on a related note, pretty much all the teams run a unique front suspension/steering geometry at Monaco in order to get round the hairpin*.

*without having to do a three-point turn!

What is the rule on driving old cars in the testing ban?

Because Ferrari have given Perez a test in the 2009 car and Renault say they will give Kubica all the time he wants to retrain in thier 2009 car

I think the testing ban is a block on teams running cars less than two years old... The intention being it stops the teams developing 'current' technology.

Which driver used to wear a pair of gloves held together with sticky tape as they were his "lucky" driving gloves?

Which driver used to wear a pair of gloves held together with sticky tape as they were his "lucky" driving gloves?

Never heard bout the sticky tape bit, but im sure Arton Senna used the same pair of gloves during his carrer, getting bit worse for wear towards the end of is carrer

Back
Top Bottom