Ask The Apex

Ha FB i want to know the exact same thing, Although i belive FB Ferrari have stuck with the ' traditional push-rod layout' and Red Bull use the pull-Rod (or at least the 2010 did).

I would like to go a bit further though and whats is the differnce in layout as well, Does anyone have some close up pics to comare side by side?

All i know is that the RedBull suspention is an older layout, but the Way the backend of an RedBull car is packaged tends to suit it more.

A question for all you engineering, techy geeks out there. The new Ferrari has a push-rod suspension (like the Red bull had last year) what benefit does this bring to the car compared to the more usual pull-rod system the teams have employed over recent years?

Adrian Newey perfected it in the RBR - QUICK! copy it ;)

Here are two questions entirely unrelated to Formula 1:

1. We are planning to take a trip to the UK next year, and would like to attend a hillclimb. We went to one 2 years ago (I cannot remeber the venue) and loved it. Which would you most recommend?

2. I would like to contact Brian Redman regarding his days with Porsche. Does anyone know how I could do so?

Prescott is a good 'un.

That is fairly easy. It is a strip of rigid material placed at the rear edge of the rear wing of the car. It enhanced the aero effect of the wing with little cost in drag. It was originally developed by Dan Gurney for use on the Eagle race cars. They are sometimes called wickerbills.

BTW, Dan Gurney is fast as hell on a motorcycle as well as in a car

I think an advantage of a Gurney Flap is also that it can be easily and quickly removed - I seem to recall this being done at pit stops in F1 but many years ago (70s/80s).

I think an advantage of a Gurney Flap is also that it can be easily and quickly removed - I seem to recall this being done at pit stops in F1 but many years ago (70s/80s).

I love the story that Gurney tells about when the Eagle team introduced his eponymous flap. Other teams were sniffing around so DG had his mechanics put it about that the strip was there to aid in pushing the cars around the paddock and prevent damage to the wing element. Some teams bought it, and were seen to attach the flaps to the underside of the wing!

OK, why are Renault being called things like 'Lotus Renault', 'LRGP' or 'Black and Gold Lotus'? Is this the media's doing or Group Lotus'?

On a side note does anyone remember any other teams that the media called by their sponors name rather than their own?

Those were a bit obvious, and clearly not what you meant.
What about Copersucar?
Benetton (again probably not what you meant)?
Red Bull (again probably not what you meant)?

There is one distinguished ex-member who's recent ban has prevented him rubbing his hands with glee at that particular question, KraXik!

Virgin are a decent example, but in most cases (like Virgin) they simply fix the Constructor name to be the sponsor. Of course, Group Lotus cannot do this, because there is a Lotus already on the grid. Hence, they've been forced to keep the name Renault even though the French company is little more than an engine supplier.

Either that, or McLaren were never known as McLaren until they won Le Mans, whatever your personal viewpoint!
rolleyes.gif

TBY, I thought they had to keep the Renault name due to the Concorde agreement?

I understand that Virgin, Red Bull, BAR, etc had the sponsors name as the team name but what I don't understand is why everyone makes a fuss that Renault is being sponsored by Lotus. It would be like calling Mercedes - Petronas Mercedes GP. Realistically not many really care about the sponsor yet with Renault it seems to be different. It reminds me of this old website that used to translate your text into 'Ron speak'. Whenever you mentioned McLaren, Ron speak would change it to West McLaren Mercedes.

I just hope they don't start a trend and we have to then start typing Marlboro Ferrari and Vodafone McLaren! It's awfully long winded!

In another place McLaren were referred to as VMM as an abbreviation for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes by many contributors. Strangely Ferrari never was SFM for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro though...

There used to be a clause in the Concorde Agreement that a constructor could only change the name of their chassis once in a five-year period, otherwise they would lose their entitlement to FOCA (now FOM) cash.

But since the whole BAR/Honda/Brawn/Mercedes business I have no idea whether that is still in force; and even if it is it can doubtless be overridden provided the other teams agree.

So as clear as mud, then.

I think its just because we call teams what we/the media want to cal them.

We didn't run round the place calling them Genii did we. Why? because we didn't like the sound of that! It would still be more appropriate to call them Genii Renault than Lotus Renault! but until there is an official name change, they are still Renault, no Benetton, no Toleman, no scrap all that, The Enstone Based Team in my eyes.
confused.gif

Good point FB, also of note is that HRT is known as HRT rather than HRF1T or even just Hispania or even just HR. I guess HRT is funnier though.

HRT though is whats on the entry list tohugh, because there not allowed to use Hispana because appently it isn't a word,
FIA being pedantic?.......never!

Back
Top Bottom