Anyone for clouds?

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
There is to be an eclipse of the moon on Monday morning at 3-ish. I don't know how many times I have been within the zone of a full eclipse of the sun or moon; they have all been spoilt by heavy cloud cover. The weather forecasters are saying the sky should be clear, but then last weekend they were saying that yesterday would be the driest of the week; we had a downpour.

So is it worth staying up on the off-chance of it being visible, should I risk having an angry wife on being woken up by the alarm going off at 2 am or should I just give it a miss with the possibility that I might wake without any outside assistance?

Weather update for here:

Midnight - clear sky
1 am - partly cloudy
2 am partly cloudy
3 am - light cloud
4 am - light cloud
5 am - light cloud

:(

If you wrote about what happens around here at eclipses no-one would believe you.

I'm not that far off the centre of the biggest grey area on the map. I did suggest moving back to civilisation but it was turned down.:(

At the moment there is nothing to see. I woke at 3 am so could watch the moon change from about 90% coverage to a reddish body (there may have been some cloud/mist around as no stars were visible). There will be no more to see for several more minutes, I'm off back to bed soon.

It was worth getting up for though.

View of the moons eclipse was rather disappointing this morning 3.40am. Haziness obscuring a perfect clear view. Moon not as big as I was expecting either. Still interesting enough to get out of bed for.
DCS_6152.JPG

Now I am getting excited - there is to be an eclipse of the moon early Monday morning and the forecast is for clear skies! At last! No, I don't know why the times are given as for Taunton (where one of the residents told me that nothing has ever happened).

Thanks to: https:/ /www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2019-january-21

* The Moon is above the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in Taunton, the entire eclipse is visible.

Eclipse calculations usually accurate to a few seconds.

The magnitude of the eclipse is 1.195.

The penumbral magnitude of the eclipse is 2.168.

The total duration of the eclipse is 5 hours, 12 minutes.

The total duration of the partial phases is 2 hours, 15 minutes.

The duration of the full eclipse is 1 hour, 2 minutes.

Event UTC Tim Time in Taunton* Visible in Taunton
Penumbral Eclipse begins 21 Jan, 02:36:29 21 Jan 02:36:29 Yes
Partial Eclipse begins 21 Jan, 03:33:54 21 Jan 03:33:54 Yes
Full Eclipse begins 21 Jan, 04:41:17 21 Jan 04:41:17 Yes
Maximum Eclipse 21 Jan, 05:12:14 21 Jan 05:12:14 Yes
Full Eclipse ends 21 Jan, 05:43:15 21 Jan 05:43:15 Yes
Partial Eclipse ends 21 Jan, 06:50:39 21 Jan 06:50:39 Yes
Penumbral Eclipse ends 21 Jan, 07:48:02 21 Jan 07:48:02 Yes

I got up 4am. It was cloudy so I went back to bed.

I got up again 6am it was hazy. There was a fuzzy white thing. I didn't bother taking a photo as it would of been shit.
I went to work.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother.

Clear skies in the south coast this morning, Venus and Jupiter shining away low in the SE, and a beautiful bright white moon setting in the West. Prettier than the red one!

I'm with you Greenlantern101, we went to a concert on Sunday pm, on the way home the moon was partially visible through the broken clouds then at about 11 pm it was in light overall cloud; that was the last that I saw of it despite trying to see it during the time of the eclipse.

Someone's out to get me.

Back
Top Bottom