Football All things Football

The number of comments I've read justifying the non penalty being awarded because the England team somehow deserved it :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your fake win.

Verstappen wound be proud.

The number of comments I've read justifying the non penalty being awarded because the England team somehow deserves it :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your fake win.

Verstappen wound be proud.
it was never a penalty. i think had united every friend i know & every former player but ian wright. but we are due some luck on that front.
86 - hand of god
93 - Koeman shouldve been sent off, wasnt & went off to score the winner to stop England going to 94 world cup
04 - sol Campbell denied a winning goal to beat Portugal
10 - frank lampard disallowed goal despite being miles over the line

(maybe 1998 & 2006, that simeone & ronaldo did dodgy tactics to target our best player )

true Brogan , but after being on the wrong side of so many dreadful var decisions it was nice to at least have 1

& its not impossible, in 1 off games anything is possible but england would have to repeat the 1st half v dutch, defend well, be lucky & clinical. but i do think spain will pass us to death, rodri will run the game & jamal or williams will rip us to bits on the wings

its not how you start its how you finish that matters in tournament football

Spain have been playing a high level but had to put a rear guard vs France which is the first time in this tournament whereas England have slugged their way through until the Semi where they played brilliantly first half.

As for the penalty unfortunately the way the rules are written something like this will happen. If the boot was on the other foot then everyone will say it was another dodgy decision that cost England the game

decided to go & watch the blades up at york, it was depressing despite the victory that was the 1st time ive seen us win in person since 9th december & the 1st time sheff utd have won a competitive game since 10th February. LOL

the 1st 25 mins we were concerning, anel & robbo had been abit rusty gave york the lead. but the longer we played, the better we got. & in the 2nd half york never really tested us. & we shouldve won by more, Brewster had a great chance but keeper pulled off a great save & osula shouldve had 2 before he had a fantastic finish from the edge of the box

although york have moved to a new stadium & its 1 of the weirdest ones ive known its almost as if the football was an after thought when building the football stadium as i noticed in the same venue. a swimming pool, climbing centre, cinema, kids outdoor play area, NHS medical place & a library

Screenshot_20240713_201224_Gallery.webp

20240713_194714.webp

walker as good as he was 1st half. what was he doing in middle of the box leaving williams with acres of room. & if you give these 2 spanish wingers time & space they will kill you

Though I don't watch England play reasons explained before, I realised we'd gone behind as a thunderflash went off down the road, the Spanish set them off for their goals, I won't get any sleep if they win☹️

It would have been a travesty had we won that.

Great to reach the final but Southgate ball is so sodding boring .

Walker knackered himself out in the first half by running around like a headless chicken. We may as well not had a right back in the second half given how much space we gave Spain on their left.

walker as good as he was 1st half. what was he doing in middle of the box leaving williams with acres of room. & if you give these 2 spanish wingers time & space they will kill you
Unfortunately Walker positioning was exposed time and time again in thd 2nd half where their goals came from

england should take heart from this game they were more competitive than i feared we would be & i dont know what more we could have done with that level of opposition . Spain are arguably the best team in the world, we did well to contain Yamal & Williams for most of the game. they say we shouldve attacked more but Opening up more might have led to a heavier defeat. because saw what happens when you give time & space to these spanish players

Looking ahead to the next tournament in America, the situation with Kane is tricky. He's an incredible player with an outstanding record, but if he doesn't fit the current team, Watkins has shown more impact & danger when he came on in both games. but kane is undroppable because he's captain. which looked like a hinderance this tournament

i said pre match that it might be controversial but i hope win or lose this is Southgate's final game, Southgate gets criticism, i think its easier to be the Prime minister than England Manager. but he deserves to go out on a relative high from where england were 2008 - 2016, enjoy his life without the flak or pressure &i didnt want a ignominy like Hodgson before him v iceland

Last edited:
england should take heart from this game they were more competitive than i feared we would be & i dont know what more we could have done with that level of opposition . Spain are arguably the best team in the world, we did well to contain Yamal & Williams for most of the game. they say we shouldve attacked more but Opening up more might have led to a heavier defeat. because saw what happens when you give time & space to these spanish players

Looking ahead to the next tournament in America, the situation with Kane is tricky. He's an incredible player with an outstanding record, but if he doesn't fit the current team, Watkins has shown more impact & danger when he came on in both games. but kane is undroppable because he's captain. which looked like a hinderance this tournament

i said pre match that it might be controversial but i hope win or lose this is Southgate's final game, Southgate gets criticism, i think its easier to be the Prime minister than England Manager. but he deserves to go out on a relative high from where england were 2008 - 2016, enjoy his life without the flak or pressure &i didnt want a ignominy like Hodgson before him v iceland

The commentators on Fox Sports (US television) made a great point when it was 1-0. If England had been playing like this all game they would win. But England only ever play like this when they are down.

I have to say, at the age of 48, I am now reaching the point with England that I was with F1 in 2022-2023. No point watching any more. I have been on this planet almost a half century and they have never won a major tournament. I don't think they ever will.

US TV commented on Kane being old, but they said this is typical of football and the Spanish captain is a year older. Both were substituted at the same time.

Last edited:
The commentators on Fox Sports (US television) made a great point when it was 1-0. If England had been playing like this all game they would win. But England only ever play like this when they are down.
yeah its disappointing i was saying when we were 1-0 down that we have played some of our best stuff at 1-0 down. i dont think this is a purely England issue. it turned into a very cagey tournament. the 1st 2 match days brilliant. but from deciding group stage games onwards. so many 1st halfs were non events..you look at the quarter finals it took until the final quarter final to get a goal in the 1st half after 3 0-0s

I've been listening to the BBC and Talksport and I would say 95% of the callers want Southgate to go

Off course the players will want him to stay because they may not get picked if they want him out

The FA want him to stay because they are just like the Tory Party a members club for old farts who don't understand the game . They dont want to pick someone who is divisive and take on the media

Worst of all the best candidate mentioned is Graham Potter !!

---

Looking back , Southgate plays to not lose which makes England hard to beat but not great as an attacking side

the same pattern keeps happening where England play well for periods then invite the team to come back so end up chasing the game

I am astonished that the lessons of the final in 2020 and the tournament still did not convince Southgate to change his approach when playing Spain who were only troubled by one team --- Germany in the tournament

His stubbornness to drop Kane/ Foden/Saka/Bellingham or at least switch the system reminds me of the Sven days picking players on reputation

His excuses about players being tired are hogwash , bringing 26 players - some of them did not get game time

Its obvious Palmer made a difference but his loyalty to Foden was infuriating

His gamble on Kane did not work

With that group of attacking players at his disposal England were one of the least offensive teams in the tournament

Misuse of Trent who is the best crosser in the team and most of the games England could not even cross the ball

What is the mindset sit back after going into the lead or after equalising , it is almost like he was playing for penalties . Against the first real quality side England got punished, I just dont understand the mindset behind it all when you are in the tournament to win

I was expecting England to improve as the tournament went on and they did not

He is always a reactive coach not a proactive one

This is probably the best golden generation of players England have had

There is a saying

" If you either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain" - this is what Southgate has become so its time for him to go

i always felt that this was his final tournament, whether we crashed out or won it. 4 tournaments is alot for a manager & i felt like we all needed a break & southgate deserved to go out on a high for the job he did

yes he was tactically "safe" & it was time for a change win or lose on sunday, hope in time Southgate gets the praise for the gentlemen he was & the amazing job he did. we take for granted the culture change & multiple glass ceilings he smashed through as manager.

England football manager is a bit like politics, time for a change but will it be better, greener grass over the hill is always a gamble? However he's made his decision so hopefully it will be greener grass and better, probably not LOL LOL

Back
Top Bottom