A sad day for Italian motorsport

It has always struck me as somewhat ironic that with all their financial and physical resources (i.e. company owned test tracks and factory) that Ferrari have not, apparently, run driver development programmes like those run by a certain soft drinks company and then utilised products of said programs. Maybe the gentleman should look closer to home. Of course, something may have been lost in translation since it would be somewhat bizarre, if indeed it has escaped his notice that Ferrari haven't employed an Italian driver for so very long!
Ferrari do run a young drivers programme.
http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formula1/Scuderia/Driver_Academy/Pages/Driver Academy.aspx

Thanks Sportsman. You may gather by now that my interest in Ferrari waned quite some time ago! Having said that, they obviously need to do somewhat better. ;) Getting serious again, I'd be interested to know where their graduates are ending up. I guess I can wait for a post from someone more knowledgeable about Ferrari's programme to tell me - or hope that at some time or other I can rekindle the old love I once had for the team. I look forward to being further educated on the subject.

Thanks Sportsman. You may gather by now that my interest in Ferrari waned quite some time ago! Having said that, they obviously need to do somewhat better. ;) Getting serious again, I'd be interested to know where their graduates are ending up. I guess I can wait for a post from someone more knowledgeable about Ferrari's programme to tell me - or hope that at some time or other I can rekindle the old love I once had for the team. I look forward to being further educated on the subject.

Perez and Bianchi are on the scheme I think.

Like Valentino Rossi? Yeah, he's ****ing enormous.
What happened to the "s" in fast??!! My typo's are getting worse. Serves me right for playing my guitar for four hours before visiting Clip! Doh!

Seriously though, I think it's because fat Italians tend to race motorcycles.
That should obviously read: "Seriously though, I think it's because fast Italians tend to race motorcycles"

For me i'm not bothered that we have no Italian's out on the grid this year, as their never taken seriously to be honest. Ferrari are the face of Formula One from Italy and will always be so.

But if we were in the Italian supports shoes, they'd be riots that there's no British F1 Drivers on the grid for a season or two. Those days will come sometime in the future, but I hope not too soon.

Tongue in cheek I'm sure. A world title without Ferrari in the mix would be somewhat hollow.:thinking:
There was indeed an element of tongue in cheek in the second sentence, but with the first I don't believe any nation has some kind of right or should even have an expectation of having a driver in F1. Regarding your Ferrari/hollow comment, however, I couldn't disagree more. I'm not a subscriber to what I consider to be Montezemolo's whimsical fantasy that F1 "needs" Ferrari, in the same way as it doesn't need any one driver F1 also doesn't need any one team, IMO.

There was indeed an element of tongue in cheek in the second sentence, but with the first I don't believe any nation has some kind of right or should even have an expectation of having a driver in F1. Regarding your Ferrari/hollow comment, however, I couldn't disagree more. I'm not a subscriber to what I consider to be Montezemolo's whimsical fantasy that F1 "needs" Ferrari, in the same way as it doesn't need any one driver F1 also doesn't need any one team, IMO.

My comment works both ways. I'm sure Ferrari wouldn't gain the same satisfaction of winning a World Title if McLaren weren't in the mix, so maybe we need to agree to disagree on that one. Unless I've missed something I don't think Ferrari believe they have a right to have an F1 driver in the championship, just disappointment that they don't have one, which I can understand considering the importance of F1 to Italians. :disappointed:

The sad day for Italian Motorsport (for me) was when Alfa Romeo pulled out of the ETCC - I used to love the Alfa 156 vs BMW 320i battles.

Now, if only they could resurrect the Arese V6 for the new engine formula! That would be something to listen to...:yes:

A sad for me in Italian motor sport was when Ferrari dropped the V12 for a V10 even though the V12 was not competitive the noise was brilliant, Oh and of course when Marco died that was a gut rencher...

Back
Top Bottom