2024 silly season

I think the amount of people in the US who knew Sato was pre his indy 500 win would have fitted in a Phone Box.

However I know Drive To Survive is popular in the US so Danny Ric is probably much better known. The makers of that show love him so they'll prob make a spinoff called "Danny Does Dallas" or "Drinking from a Different Shoe" to follow his move to US.

His name may be known but I think big coup is probably over doing it.
by indycar standards it would. abit like entertaining spanish GPs. the bar isnt high. this is a series that made a big deal about Marcus Ericsson & a ancient Rubens Barrichello

i might be wrong but if he went i think he would be the 1st F1 race winner to go to indycar for a full season. since Mansell

Thats a good pub quiz question. In my head I think Villeneuve went back for a year. I might be wrong on that one. Can't think of anyone else that might fit the bill

Helmut likes to stir sh*t, but even Peter Bayer confirmed a decision will be made during the summer break.

“Really what we want to try and achieve is go quietly into the summer break and then have a discussion between – it will be Helmut. It will be Christian, it will be Laurent, it will be myself and even the shareholders might be interested in the final decision. But it will be quiet and without any haste.”

Red Bull and RB set summer break meeting to discuss Ricciardo’s future

On the other hand, I think they are waiting as well to see if Max will leave RedBull after all or not...

Last edited:
On the other hand, I think they are waiting as well to see if Max will leave RedBull after all or not...
thats true, as i think they arent 100% confident & as brundle said, even though he said yes in a interview it took a few questions to push for the yes & he seemed non committal

but riccardio for me would only being kept to be expierenced head as tsunoda would be internal choice for that seat

i was going to put it on F2 but its more suitable here

the issue with Antonelli as i say alot, he came into this talked about being the best youth driver since max or lewis hamilton. im sure you can have a look further on F2 for my season preview. but he supposed to better than leclerc, russell & norris. when you see his results & continues to be almost guaranteed a seat next season whether that is mercedes or williams

i continue to think, of what are the F1 teams seeing something we aren't. because barring a few sparks. like front row at Melbourne & 4th in imola. he is hugely underwhelming 9th in championship (should be 10th if bearman had taken part in saudi or stalled while leading in the pits at imola) & you look at his last 4 races 7th 15th 12th 15th & 16th on grid tomorrow. if this a Victor Martins or a Jak Crawford they would be nowhere near F1

i was going to put it on F2 but its more suitable here

the issue with Antonelli as i say alot, he came into this talked about being the best youth driver since max or lewis hamilton. im sure you can have a look further on F2 for my season preview. but he supposed to better than leclerc, russell & norris. when you see his results & continues to be almost guaranteed a seat next season whether that is mercedes or williams

i continue to think, of what are the F1 teams seeing something we aren't. because barring a few sparks. like front row at Melbourne & 4th in imola. he is hugely underwhelming 9th in championship (should be 10th if bearman had taken part in saudi or stalled while leading in the pits at imola) & you look at his last 4 races 7th 15th 12th 15th & 16th on grid tomorrow. if this a Victor Martins or a Jak Crawford they would be nowhere near F1
Just because you are good in junior level does not mean you are going to good in F1 as Murray Walker use to say see Jan Magnussen or Trulli

As for Antonelli, they've seen his progression which is why Aron left or got dropped. This was on the basis the team was going through a rebuild transition but the last few races have shown Mercedes are not miles off so the expectation would be too much.

It has to be said Prema for once have got the car wrong for F2

Going back to Ricciardo is he worth hanging on to lose Lawson because if he has a wretched start next season , then do you hang onto him and now deny Hadjar progression?

Then what if Perez continues his slump because I expect Ferrari to be stronger then Red Bull will replace him with?

Well, this is yet another case of the top drivers in F2 being overlooked. Bearman is currently 14th, 89 points behind Paul Aron.
whereas i like Aron & it would yet another F2 travesty if he wasnt on the grid in 2025, of he went on to win F2 championship. & ive felt if i was Mercedes purely on F2 nothing else i would be getting extremely concerned have i backed the wrong horse. because they let paul aron go & this is a guy thats doing what leclerc, Russell, Norris, piastri etc did & what we expected antotelli would

but I still rate bearman very highly last yr still at so young 17 5th in the championship & 4 wins. really he should be further up the championship that he is at least 5th, best case 3rd, as he lost 50-60 pts as was on pole in saudi but had to be step in for sainz, car stalled in pits while leading at imola. his drive at monaco & overtake on Antonelli at lowes hairpin in the feature race was fantastic. just won in Austria

Last edited:
Well, this is yet another case of the top drivers in F2 being overlooked. Bearman is currently 14th, 89 points behind Paul Aron.
He did miss one race to substitute Sainz and Imola was one he could have won . Overall Prema have actually made a mess this season of the car

As for Aron , its weird Mercedes let him go but he might have got an inkling that Antonelli was the backed horse

I see him going Indy or Formula E . The trouble with F1 with 10 teams this 💩 happens much like GP2 back in the early 2010's that winning the title does not guarantee you an F1 sear

My plan for F1 was always that there is a "pool" of F1 drivers, who randomly get allocated to a different team each week (done by drawing lots). The two drivers who finish in the bottom two places automatically get "relegated" (e.g .to F2), whilst the 1st and 2nd drivers in F2 automatically get promotion to F1.

i am in favour of guaranteed spot for F2 champion, but for your proposal you would need spec car & i dont know how i feel about that

i am in favour of guaranteed spot for F2 champion, but for your proposal you would need spec car & i dont know how i feel about that
Why would you need a spec car? I think you'd probably need a spec steering wheel, but everything else could differ across teams. There would still be competition across teams, as the constructors championship would still be there.

Why would you need a spec car? I think you'd probably need a spec steering wheel, but everything else could differ across teams. There would still be competition across teams, as the constructors championship would still be there.
because all cars have their strengths & weakenesses, leaving alot to luck. imagine if a driver got their 1 turn in 2023 red bull at singapore,

because all cars have their strengths & weakenesses, leaving alot to luck. imagine if a driver got their 1 turn in 2023 red bull at singapore,
But equally, look at the current shit show - where a driver can win 90% of the races, just because he's lucky enough to have the best car. The positives massively outweigh the negatives...

Currently:
  1. Drivers can buy their way into F1
  2. Drivers hold on to seats, long after they are passed their sell by date
  3. It is almost impossible to make the step up into F1
  4. Teams favour particular drivers, leading to "team orders" debacles.
It is often claimed that "X driver" would not win if they were in "Y team" - surely it's time to start testing that hypothesis... And then we would genuinely have a drivers champion, and genuinely have a constructors (not team) champion.

NB - people often think of the constructors championship as a "teams" championship - but it's not that - it's clearly a championship for constructing the best car.

Back
Top Bottom