Grand Prix 2020 Styrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Back in the day the German GP used to be followed a week later by the Austrian GP. This was when Hockenheim was a bizarre flat out blast out in to the forest and back again with a mickey mouse stadium section to pull the punters in. Hockenheim was neutered to create more grandstands and make it more TV friendly.

Austria was probably the most majestic circuit on the calendar with long, sweeping curves set in the Styrian hills which were a challenge for cars and driver alike. The Osterreichring, like Hockenheim, was then neutered to make it, supposedly, safer and dump more spectators in and around the circuit. It was renamed the A1 ring from 1993 to 2006, presumably as an homage to the London to Edinburgh trunk road. In 2011 it became the Red Bull Ring after the fizzy drink company rebuilt all the infrastructure whilst keeping the layout the same.

Now, one week on from the Austrian GP we have another race but this time not requiring the teams to drive about 450 miles and set up the whole circus again as we are staying at the Red Bull Ring and a new race has been created, the Styrian Grand Prix. Styria is, of course, the region of Austria where the track is located.

Last Sunday F1 won me back, for a week at least, with an exciting, incident packed race around the "The Ring". I suspect we will not see the same this weekend but I do hope that Verstappen's car will allow him to have a go at the Mercs and Albon won't have his race ruined again. Look for some sort of reaction from Lewis Hamilton after the series of troubles he experienced last Sunday.

A few notes of trivia. Racing drivers Helmut Marko and Jochen Rindt are/were both from the region as are Dietrich Mateschitz (well durr) and Arnold Schwarzenegger. In addition to these luminaries Styria gave us the Eurovision winner in 2014, Conchita Wurz. However, Conchita wasn't the first Eurovision winner from Styria, the lead singer of Teach-In came from here as well, and they won the competition for Holland in 1975.

Final piece of Trivia, two winners of Miss World come from here in 1969 and 1987.

Last edited:
the current radar fir the red bull Ring. i.hiping qualifying should go ahead as Green is normally fine but Yellow & Red areas hit. then it will be red flagged

20200711_090302.jpg

It has been an announced that FP3 has been abandoned and that if Qualification is abandoned that it will take place on Sunday morning. This means that the sprint race Formula 2 would not take place.

In my opinion this is very unfair, it goes along with all the racing which would be lost if Friday was removed.

watching the F3 the visibility was pretty dreadful. so this was warranted.

but F1 has lost abit more on this. ive said for many years. we dont race on full wets anymore no whether this is pirelli issue or F1 has gotten cautious or over cautious , because how many times have we watched a race where drivers are on the radio saying its ready for inters & when the Safety car pits all drivers following it in

another annoying thing about F1, how come they can rejig things to have it on sunday morning but they cant be flexible to start at 1pm/1.30pm while it was good. & instead of waiting until 2pm

on pole by 1.2 secs not for the 1st time. what an outstanding lap by Lewis. imagine thinking it was the car was majority of the reason for why hamilton is 6 time world champion. & this isnt a 1 off thats the 4th wet qualifying session since 2017 when the cars changed. Lewis is on pole for all 4. 6 tenths britain 2017, 1.2 secs italy 2017, 3 tenths hungary 2018 & 1.2 seconds Styria 2020

the younger drivers really impressed me today Ocon Norris Russell & Verstappen (is he still a youngster?) all putting in some cracking laps & Russell is proving again he is a star of the future

all 19 drivers (exc Grosjean) should take a bow. thats why im disappointed when F1 avoid the rain & qualify on a Sunday morning as i want to see the drivers like today showing their immense bravery & skill. because the balls on drivers would've been huge. driving blind & still flat out

The gap between Max Verstappen in 2nd to Sebastian Vettel in 10th was closer than the gap between Hamilton on pole and Verstappen in 2nd.

I'd more concerned if I was Bottas because Russell proved himself in the wet which actually shows a true driver's ability whilst he was way off Hamilton

I 'd understand the point about drivers skills come to the fore in the rain but it is a safety point of view of medics and marshalls who deal with treacherous conditions have to tend to drivers safely without risk getting hurt themselves

I’m confused why they stopped the session in Q1. There were cars on fast laps, and Giovanazzi stopped his car after the finish line.

Surely, they should have just double yellow flagged turn 3, and let anyone who was already on a lap to complete...

Back
Top Bottom