Grand Prix 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The 2020 double headers continue. At least in Bahrain though they have decided to run the race round a different layout. This will be a line it up and floor it racetrack at its absolute finest.

1606769097445.png

There will be 87 laps of a this 3.5 mile circuit. I suspect it will make Monza of the 60's, or Silverstone of the 80's seem really demanding and a bit "pedestrian". Not sure if Grosjean will be back for this weekend, I suspect not. What money on Nico Hulkenberg turning expecting to have a go in the second Haas? Fingers crossed this will be a little more interesting than last week's effort, although expect a Hamilton pole and win in anyway.

What a race. Pleased for Perez, gutted for Russell. Though Russell did show what he can do, and highlighted what Bottas can’t do. Surely Perez can’t be out of a car next year when there are so many mediocre ( relatively speaking) drivers on the grid . And daddy Stroll must be rueing getting rid of Perez for Vettel🤔 , unless it’s because Vettel will make baby Stroll look better.
Those unnecessary Merc pitstop! :o How could they get all that so wrong?
Next year would be good to see Russell in the Merc and Perez in the Red Bull.

Russell’s comments after the race let the cat out of the bag - he’s got a signed contract either to race at Mercedes in 2021 (or at worst 2022)... “we‘ll get this opportunity again”

I wonder whether he’s signed a contract for 2021, with the promise that if Hamilton doesn’t sign, he’ll be given that seat, but if Hamilton does sign Bottas will get The heave ho...

Last edited:
Russell’s comments after the race let the cat out of the bag - he’s got a signed contract either to race at Mercedes in 2021 (or at worst 2022)... “we‘ll get this opportunity again”

I wonder whether he’s signed a contract for 2021, with the promise that if Hamilton doesn’t sign, he’ll be given that seat, but if Hamilton does sign Bottas will get The heave ho...
I’ve caught that slip by him twice. Over the team radio while he was still in the car and then in the media pen after the race when he was asked if he’d be in the car again and he clarified they meant next weekend.

I’ve caught that slip by him twice. Over the team radio while he was still in the car and then in the media pen after the race when he was asked if he’d be in the car again and he clarified they meant next weekend.
All I can say is “of course you did George...”

it seems obvious that he will now be racing full time for Mercedes sooner rather than later...

Toto Wolff said the same that this is beginning of something & he will get another chance. but this is obvious, how funny that the biggest damage to bottas mercedes career has come at a race that lewis never raced in

Will Mercedes really want two British drivers in their "German" cars?
If there was a German driver out there available on their books then "No"
Someone needs to tell the Merc board to stop trying peddle Vettle via the backdoor when Russell was so impressive iin a car that does not even fit him

A while back they pushed hard for Wehrlein but his career has disappeared into the abyss seeing no one wants to hire him.

Mick Schumacher is out of the question as he is tied to Ferrari

In terms of marketing point of view there are no decent US drivers on the grid for the North America market either plus Mercedes like go develop their drivers to be the face of the brand.

For Bottas the fact remains the only way he could have come out of this weekend with any credibility was to show Russell a clean pair of heels all weekend.

I can forgive Friday because we have no idea what their respective running programs were and fuel loads etc when their quickest laps were set.

Saturday is when Bottas has had the best showings in his race weekends and he got pole. It wasn't exactly comprehensive but he did the job.

Sunday was a different story. Until the Mercedes pit crew inexplicably took off their heads and popped on their chicken suits Bottas didn't seem to be able to do much against Russell.

How would Russell perform against Hamilton? I think Hamilton would still have the measure of him due to far better racecraft. Russell's youth and lack of fear would challenge Hamilton far more.

I think Bottas has mentally given up. This weekend proved that. Having said that, his biggest fan at Mercedes right now could be Hamilton. Does Hammy need a young charger snapping at his ankles and could, with a bit of luck and an issue or two with Car 44, snatch the world title from under his nose?

My money is on Hamilton signing a two year extension with an option for a third providing Bottas is in the second car next season before someone else, probably Russell gets the second seat in 2022.

What we would know then is how the various regs would be chipping into Mercedes dominance.

cider_and_toast i think that it is the beginning of the end for Bottas at Mercedes. As I’ve mentioned before he looks a broken man now does the Finn. Being constantly beaten by Hamilton looks like it has taken its toll. Mercedes might start the succession plan with Russell replacing Bottas at the end of 2021. It will also give Russell a couple of years of experience with Lewis Hamilton before he probably retires and George Russell becomes the team leader at Merc.

cider_and_toast i think that it is the beginning of the end for Bottas at Mercedes. As I’ve mentioned before he looks a broken man now does the Finn. Being constantly beaten by Hamilton looks like it has taken its toll. Mercedes might start the succession plan with Russell replacing Bottas at the end of 2021. It will also give Russell a couple of years of experience with Lewis Hamilton before he probably retires and George Russell becomes the team leader at Merc.
I still think Russell will be at Mercedes in 2021 - I did wonder if Hamilton was going to retire - but it’s all a big secret...

Did anyone notice whether Fittipaldi and Aitken did anything worthwhile yesterday? I know Aitken managed to bring out the safety car.

For Bottas the fact remains the only way he could have come out of this weekend with any credibility was to show Russell a clean pair of heels all weekend.

I can forgive Friday because we have no idea what their respective running programs were and fuel loads etc when their quickest laps were set.

Saturday is when Bottas has had the best showings in his race weekends and he got pole. It wasn't exactly comprehensive but he did the job.

Sunday was a different story. Until the Mercedes pit crew inexplicably took off their heads and popped on their chicken suits Bottas didn't seem to be able to do much against Russell.

How would Russell perform against Hamilton? I think Hamilton would still have the measure of him due to far better racecraft. Russell's youth and lack of fear would challenge Hamilton far more.

I think Bottas has mentally given up. This weekend proved that. Having said that, his biggest fan at Mercedes right now could be Hamilton. Does Hammy need a young charger snapping at his ankles and could, with a bit of luck and an issue or two with Car 44, snatch the world title from under his nose?

My money is on Hamilton signing a two year extension with an option for a third providing Bottas is in the second car next season before someone else, probably Russell gets the second seat in 2022.

What we would know then is how the various regs would be chipping into Mercedes dominance.
I think Hamilton will do 1 year with a pay cut with an option to extend because if he does win an 8th he can retire . The competition next year could be fierce with Alonso back at the improving Renault, Ricciardo and Norris at Mclaren plus the Ferraris ,Red Bulls and Racing Points.

Will he want Russell in the team seeing he already said is a future champion? It would be wrong of him to do it given Mercedes helped him fast track into F1. It would also take the gloss if he does win an 8th title

Toto does not want two No 1s in his team but his bosses will be reminding him that their invested young drivers should be out there driving their cars

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom