Grand Prix 2019 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff Member
It would be more fun if it was a real crossover, like in Scalextric.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
ive seen some nice pictures on formation lap of degners & 130R but rarely during the race. camera on wrong side

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
after listening to 5 live preview they had the bbc weatherman on who is big F1 fan. & using knowledge of both, he's stuck his neck out. says he would be amazed if anyone was on the track Saturday & along with crofty believes qualifying will be 9am local time (1am uk). but the race will be fine maybe even normal dry race

so thought i have have a look at forecast now i can, as it closer on my accuweather app & he's got a point. just the 6 weeks of rain in 10 hours 🌧

Screenshot_20191010-234215.jpg

Last edited:

Radical F1

Test Driver
It's official then, qualifying won't happen until Sunday morning. The weather is going to be too extreme on Saturday. Full details here: Saturday running cancelled in Japan – full revised timetable for Sunday | Formula 1®
However Kansai area which includes Suzuka will not get direct hit by the typhoon but will still experience heavy rain and gusty winds.
We in Tokyo though will get the eye of the storm/direct hit. Predicted to be the biggest hit in Tokyo over recorded history, we will get hit from 9:00AM to 8:00PM Saturday. This damn Typhoon is huge that it engulfs 80% of Japan.
China should do something with their huge contribution to Global Warming !

Catch you on the flip side later Angel. Hope I make it LOL

Last edited:

Angel

Race Winner
Contributor
However Kansai area which includes Suzuka will not get direct hit by the typhoon but will still experience heavy rain and gusty winds.
We in Tokyo though will get the eye of the storm/direct hit. Predicted to be the biggest hit in Tokyo over recorded history, we will get hit from 9:00AM to 8:00PM Saturday. This damn Typhoon is huge that it engulfs 80% of Japan.
China should do something with their huge contribution to Global Warming !

Catch you on the flip side later Angel. Hope I make it LOL
You'd better make it my friend, I will have you on my mind until I hear from you afterwards. Stay safe okay? :friends:

Angel

Race Winner
Contributor
Quote from Andrew Benson on twitter "If weather conditions are still too bad on Sunday morning to run qualifying, as Typhoon Hagibis makes its way north after hitting Honshu tomorrow, the results of second practice will define the Japanese GP grid."

So expect FP2 to be more like qualifying.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I was talking current F1 circuits. Not all circuits , I’m sure there are plenty of other circuits with a cross over.

RasputinLives

Doesn't look a bit like Jesus
Contributor
Angel will they get out for FP2?

Also - not wanting to stir the pot or anything - but if they are able to do qualifying in Sunday morning before the race this week, then in the name of cost and fan satisfaction, shouldn't they do that everyweek?

Angel

Race Winner
Contributor
Angel will they get out for FP2?

Also - not wanting to stir the pot or anything - but if they are able to do qualifying in Sunday morning before the race this week, then in the name of cost and fan satisfaction, shouldn't they do that everyweek?
There you go again RasputinLives trying to be sensible. :rolleyes: Of course it would be better for the fans as it would save them a lot of money if it was all done on the one day. However I am guessing the tracks need to get the extra day of ticket sales in order to cover the costs imposed on them. I suppose they could just bump the race days ticket prices to cover it but would you really pay that much for just one day out?

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
There you go again RasputinLives trying to be sensible. :rolleyes: Of course it would be better for the fans as it would save them a lot of money if it was all done on the one day. However I am guessing the tracks need to get the extra day of ticket sales in order to cover the costs imposed on them. I suppose they could just bump the race days ticket prices to cover it but would you really pay that much for just one day out?
apart from that in European races it wouldn't be able to fit in because you have the 2 F3 & F2 races in the morning. I disagree I think for tv audiences as well it works because for like me id probally end up not watching qualifying because I don't have the time in such a cramped schedule. (im talking UK as I don't know other countries) because in races like Australia China Japan Vietnam, used to be Malaysia. . if you've got qualifying at 1am - 3am & the race at 6am - 8am. we are likely to just wake up early watch the race skip qualifying

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
why do they use FP2 for race grid if needed surely the fairest way is to use drivers championship positions like I think IndyCar have used this season because that's your great barometer of pace

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Well no the best indicator of pace is from running at that track i.e. the latest practice session. The only way they would start in championship order would be if there was no running at all before the race.

Angel

Race Winner
Contributor
I wasn't thinking about F2 and F3 races F1Brits_90, I have only ever watched the F1, I've never had the coverage of those other races and they don't occur to me as a result of that.

Makes sense to use FP2 if they can't qualify for the reasons Greenlantern101 gave.

To date I personally have never known them had to cancel a race since I started watching F1, could this be the first time it happens?

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
I think the final cut off is dependant on available light. I don't recall the exact time (maybe 3 hours) but it is determined by sunset I think. The failing light was a factor in Biachi's death which is when they changed it. So if the weather is still terrible 3 hours? before sunset it will be the first cancellation ever I think.

Top Bottom