Grand Prix 2019 Japanese Grand Prix, Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion.

Bernoulli

Spectator
I remember M. Schumacher's engine going bang because Ferrari cheaped out on a part which supposedly only cost a couple of pence.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
hamilton wasnt helped that between 2009 - 2013. not much you could do as it was best driver on 1 his fav tracks in best car & suzuka played to it aero strengths. didnt vettel take pole 4 years in a row. struggle with race pace as qualified well but beaten every yr in race. couldve stopped that streak in 2013 but for too ambitious move that retired him. also as been saud button finally found a "home" he was good at

I remember M. Schumacher's engine going bang because Ferrari cheaped out on a part which supposedly only cost a couple of pence.
it happens so many times. hill was 50p & few others have had issues like that. cant remember. shame as that was shaping up to be a cracking finale. instead of winner take all fight we had a damp squib where alonso just had to finish

RasputinLives

So Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Contributor
It would be cool if a journalist (they lurk in forums) asked Hamilton if he feels it took him a few years to dial into Suzuka. He is usually quite honest about this sort of stuff and I'd be interesting to hear what he had to say as he has alluded to struggling at Suzuka on occasions before. I remember him getting visibly upset when he had an off in practice one year.

Just to point out I'm judging Hamilton by a higher standard than most because he is so good. If anyone else had his record here between 08 and 13 then I wouldn't be suggesting it was a poor track for them. Its just he is usually good everywhere!

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
RasputinLives i dont know hamilton & suzuka press conference doesnt normally go well :D

we should judge hamilton because like we said about vettel he is mentioned in same breath as Schumacher Fangio & Prost. partically Schumacher because he is likely to match or better his record

Bernoulli

Spectator
It would be cool if a journalist (they lurk in forums) asked Hamilton if he feels it took him a few years to dial into Suzuka. He is usually quite honest about this sort of stuff and I'd be interesting to hear what he had to say as he has alluded to struggling at Suzuka on occasions before. I remember him getting visibly upset when he had an off in practice one year.

Just to point out I'm judging Hamilton by a higher standard than most because he is so good. If anyone else had his record here between 08 and 13 then I wouldn't be suggesting it was a poor track for them. Its just he is usually good everywhere!
The only thing better about Hamilton in comparison to Leclerc, Verstappen and Vettel is his car and the team. His records along with those of Rosberg are completely skewed. It’s a shame that Rosberg retired at least he put up some sort of challenge to Hamilton.

RasputinLives

Contributor
I disagree with that. I think his consistency at performing at such a top level is second to none. But of course it's all very subjective and a personal view isn't it and I can see why you might come to that conclusion.

Bernoulli

Spectator
His consistency in part derives from his car and team though. In the past two years we have seen Hamilton and Mercedes crack under pressure at occasions. We keep saying that Ferrari and Red Bull make strategic errors but they're consistently under more pressure from Mercedes. An example of this is Red Bull in Hungary where it wouldn't have made a difference if they had completed another pit stop like Mercedes because Hamilton had the pace to over- and undercut Verstappen.

RasputinLives

Contributor
I find it interesting you've attributed all the pace Hamilton had in Hungary down to the car rather than the driver but I'm guessing you've probably seen some analysis round it that I haven't or you wouldn't have put it as an example.

Bernoulli

Spectator
For the driver the backing of the team also plays a big role for his on track performance. Rosberg got a right thumping after Spa 2014 although it was a racing incident albeit an unfortunate one because it was his team mate whom he punted off track. Also having to play second fiddle in Malaysia gave Hamilton edge over Rosberg. I can't imagine Hamilton would have done the same when Button came into his team in 2010.
It's also what Vettel has been struggling with at Ferrari unlike his time at Red Bull where Webber got the unjustified blame for the incident in Turkey.

Bernoulli

Spectator
I find it interesting you've attributed all the pace Hamilton had in Hungary down to the car rather than the driver but I'm guessing you've probably seen some analysis round it that I haven't or you wouldn't have put it as an example.
He was cruising behind Verstappen, he even said so on the radio. In his last stint Verstappen's tyres were shot whilst Hamilton was on fresh ones.

RasputinLives

Contributor
I still don't know how you sperate car from driver from seeing that. I wonder if this is best moved to the Hamilton thread now we've moved away from Suzuka?

Back on topic - Suzuka is famous for its cross over point but I always find we never get a good shot of it TV wise.

Last edited:

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I believe it’s the only track with a cross over, it must be amazing to be trackside with a view of cars screaming over the top of other cars.

Bernoulli

Spectator
Abu Dhabi is still on the calendar, right?
Monza has a cross over too, it's just not used anymore.

There are plenty of others not on the F1 calendar, such as Oran Park which used to be one of my favourite tracks.

Top Bottom