Grand Prix 2019 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So onwards we got to what has become the annual Hamilton/Mercedes lap of honour. After victory in his home country was secured Lewis now turns his eyes to a nice bit of PR for his team at the Hockenheimring. The once great Hockenheim is not what it was and isn't the most exciting track in the world (the stadium section is alright I guess) but we should feel lucky to have a German Grand Prix at all really given recent history. Once again we are predicting this will the last race at this circuit and that it will drop off the calendar next year. But as with Silverstone this seems to be said every year. I wouldn't say I would miss the track but not having a German Grand Prix with such German involvement but going to Viet Nam would be beyond mental.

Compeating to come second to Lewis Hamilton this weekend will be Valteri Bottas -just starting his mid-season slump, Charles LeClerc - trying not to become Jean Alesi, Max Verstappen - got his sensational win for the season under his belt, and Sebastian Vettel - coming off the back of his worst run of results in a decade. I can't say I'm that excited about it all but it might be interesting I guess. Mercedes 1-2 all the way.

Midfield is interesting. Gasly needs to jump out of it. Sainz and Norris need to continue the Mclaren revival. Haas need a new car. Renault need some results and George Russell needs to just keep doing what he's doing.

Not the greatest write up I know but I'm afraid life has got in the way - over F1Brits_90 who has some stuff he'd like to add.

Last edited:
Weird race...but pretty entertaining. A few takeaways

1. The only driver in the top three teams that did not spin was Vettel.
2. Driver of the day was Kvyat (who also did not spin).
....a. Verstappen spun.
....b. Vettel went from 20th to 2nd in a superior car
....c. Kvyat went from 14th to 3rd in an inferior car - so I give it to Kvyat
3. Not sure who else did not spin, crash, or run into their teammate (a weekly occurrence at Haas).
4. Good run from Stroll. Clever strategy, unlike Mercedes, Ferrari or even Red Bull
5. Sainz went off track and least three times and spun once. Still got 5th.
6. Albon: Hard not to like this kid or his driving
7: Kimi: He spun...but he looked good in the first half of the race
8: Giovinazzi: guessing he spun once or twice.
9. Hamilton: Surprised he did not get back up in the points by the end of the race. It looks like he gave up.
10. Now what is the argument for retaining Bottas again? I would replace him with Ocon.
11. Gasly repeatedly looked out of the depth at multiple times during the race. It is probably time to swap Kvyat for Gasly.
12. Hulkenberg: What can a say. Good driver...never gets the big results.
13: Leclerc: He is very good, but he still kind of looks like a "#1.5" driver. Really not quite ready to be a "#1" yet.
14. Verstappen: Two race wins this season, and he was a major part of why they both happened (although luck and Mercedes falling by the wayside helped).

Why did Racing Point feel they had absolutely nothing to lose by taking a punt on slicks and having it pay off handsomely when Williams could have done the same and didn't??

Weird race...but pretty entertaining. A few takeaways

1. The only driver in the top three teams that did not spin was Vettel.
2. Driver of the day was Kvyat (who also did not spin).
....a. Verstappen spun.
....b. Vettel went from 20th to 2nd in a superior car
....c. Kvyat went from 14th to 3rd in an inferior car - so I give it to Kvyat
3. Not sure who else did not spin, crash, or run into their teammate (a weekly occurrence at Haas).
4. Good run from Stroll. Clever strategy, unlike Mercedes, Ferrari or even Red Bull
5. Sainz went off track and least three times and spun once. Still got 5th.
6. Albon: Hard not to like this kid or his driving
7: Kimi: He spun...but he looked good in the first half of the race
8: Giovinazzi: guessing he spun once or twice.
9. Hamilton: Surprised he did not get back up in the points by the end of the race. It looks like he gave up.
10. Now what is the argument for retaining Bottas again? I would replace him with Ocon.
11. Gasly repeatedly looked out of the depth at multiple times during the race. It is probably time to swap Kvyat for Gasly.
12. Hulkenberg: What can a say. Good driver...never gets the big results.
13: Leclerc: He is very good, but he still kind of looks like a "#1.5" driver. Really not quite ready to be a "#1" yet.
14. Verstappen: Two race wins this season, and he was a major part of why they both happened (although luck and Mercedes falling by the wayside helped).
Nice summary my friend

So the driver who was demoted from Red Bull because he wasn't up to the pace of Danny Ric is being touted as the man to return to Red Bull to replace a driver who isn't as quick as the driver who replaced the driver who is now being touted for promotion back to Red Bull.

I love the silly season.

Having said that, Gasly is shit.

Also, Honda are very much on an upwards curve in terms of power and reliability.

Renault on the other hand.... Oh dear.

So the driver who was demoted from Red Bull because he wasn't up to the pace of Danny Ric is being touted as the man to return to Red Bull to replace a driver who isn't as quick as the driver who replaced the driver who is now being touted for promotion back to Red Bull.
Lol..pretty much... But Kvyat always had the speed, same as MadMax. Just needed some finessing

I’ve just seen that the Saubers, sorry Alfa Romeos have been penalised 30 seconds each, leading to Hamilton finishing 9th, and Kubica getting his first points since his return to F1...
Hey, I always knew Kubica would pull it all together !!!

Anyhow, shame about that, but rules are rules. Wonder if this had anything to do with Hamilton’s rather in undynamic drive at the end of the race?

DCB866AE-ABFC-4DEB-95DD-A890C7954514.jpeg
Go FB

Ha! What a great race. I bet Jenson Button wished he had been there, just the sort of conditions he enjoyed.

BTW, both JB and Danni Kvyat became fathers in the last few days. Well done them and their wives/partners, who had to do significantly more work than they did.

Kvyat always had the speed, same as MadMax. Just needed some finessing
I was glad Kvyat got another drive, let's not forget he was punted from RB because Vettel ran off to Horner (when he still had some parting sway with him) and had a whine.

Re Hamilton, a win was still on if Merc had chosen to wait 2 laps to put on the slicks to see how dry it really was. Yes the mistake was Hamilton's, he should have stayed off the paint, but he likely would have been nowhere near the edge on wets.

Last edited:
What a race, it just reminds us of how dire F1 has been recently. A bit of rain sure spices things up doesn't it? Vettel and Kvyat drove like champions and all credit to them. If Kvyat isn't back in that Red Bull soon with Gasly demoted I'll be amazed, after that drive he deserves it I'd say. Mercedes went to pieces and it was a joy to see. That pitstop of Hamilton's was dire, one for the worst I've seen in years!

As for the penalty Hamilton got, DC felt it was unfair and said what else could he have done? He should have continued on and have gone round again then come in next lap is the simple answer. Sure he'd have lost a lot of time but if he'd done that his pit crew would have been ready for him and he wouldn't have got a penalty. That bollard rule is there for a reason, you can't decide some rules you will enforce and some you won't!

As for the penalty Hamilton got, DC felt it was unfair and said what else could he have done? He should have continued on and have gone round again then come in next lap is the simple answer. Sure he'd have lost a lot of time but if he'd done that his pit crew would have been ready for him and he wouldn't have got a penalty. That bollard rule is there for a reason, you can't decide some rules you will enforce and some you won't!

Did DC really think that was unfair? I watched the Sky coverage so managed to miss that gem. That's got to be an example of one of the clearest cut penalties I can think of!

rufus_mcdufus - when held up against the lens of Leclerc not receiving a penalty, I think that there could be some dispute over the penalty.

That being said, Leclerc’s lack of penalty really draws me in two opposing directions. When there is a safety car, and all the cars are coming into the pits, teams sometimes have the quandary of whether to wait till the entire snake has passed, or risk an unsafe release...

i was thinking where do you begin talking about a race like that. utterly crazy so instead of a review. its basically easier to bullet point the drivers. because almost everyone had a story today. but today wasnt about being perfect because everyone had a big issue at 1 point but getting more right than wrong

Verstappen - dreadful start like Austria, stuck behind bottas so had more pace than he showed showed when he had that twitch at hairpin but yet could still be 2 tenths quicker. red bull strategy was terrible 1st half medium tyres what were they thinking. everyone knew it was soft or nothing for heat build up but great 2nd half risky 2 pit stops in 4 laps but absolutely correct

Vettel - very glad on the scene of 1 of his big lows. sign of his huge high. he struggles under pressure but today was great just stay in the race gave himself a shot. despite early struggles 20th to 2nd outstanding my driver of the day & hope this will kick start his confidence

Kvyat - Over the moon for him if ever a guy deserved a result like that i have such respect for his comeback 2016? i really bad he was in tears post qualy treated atrocious by red bull. couldve quit but no fought his way back to F1 to brilliant podium in 2019 & who knows what in future (i wont be discussing gasly. because everything already been said. after these many races stop being constructive) & a mention for albon he was fantastic was few moments it was very nearly 2 toro Rosso on podium but in trying for 3rd he ended up 8th

Leclerc - battled brilliantly to get from 10th - 4th & with great strategy under the VSC closing at a rate of knots. nice to see that team got punished instead of the driver because he is taught not to question the green light. but big understeer struggles at penultimate corner you think after lucky twice he would been careful but still pushed & got punished for it. but F1 is a learning expierence

Force India - didnt have race pace for majority. took shot a nothing go slicks. so nearly won the lottery. stroll like baku is always there in crazy races & this team is reason me & my dad arent on pit wall After Perez i said "why inters perez struggled on full wets" then everyone passed magussen. my dad "why slicks for stroll, everyone saw drivers sliding off"

Sainz - very impressive to think he'd binned it but still came 5th. but what the case with everyone today. nearly got a podium like kyvat stroll albon & numerous midfielders

Hulkenburg - gutted for him was 2nd place drove brilliantly. 1 of very few to be on right tyre at that right time thought he had saved it but hit a puddle & skated off. just has no luck in these races like Brazil 2012. still best driver to never stand on the podium

Mercedes - what happen comfortable til leclerc crashed. but i dont mean to have ago that was a nightmare & i understand why espically that point when it was too dry for inters & too wet for slicks. but why when hamilton said its raining do you ignore driver. still go with slicks. button won so many GPs but pulling rank demanding certain tyres. then there was the 2nd SC when why he had a 14 sec advtange on albon did he not get fresher tyres but hamilton as at fault still rookie Spins which you don't expect. & who saw pitlane dejavu in consecutive seasons happening again

Bottas was second a lap slower than max & should've felt 4th today was good enough he wouldve been back 27pts in championship. but pushed too much did cardinal sin of touching the kerb. but still bottas will be there 2020 i feel

finally Williams this is no slight on Kubica, but it a horrendous luck on part of russell he has out qualified him 10 out of 10 & beat him in race 9 out of 9. but the 1 race Kubica wins he gets the world championship point. but it'll be nice for williams should keep the morale up. if they didn't seem that closer to midfield

Last edited:
I loved the race for numerous reasons, highly entertaining with a resulting podium that I would love to see more often.

But there's a but. I'd rather see (albeit less) exciting dry races than exciting wet races. The excitement was a bit comical at times, and watching F1 cars twitching about at 3/4 speed isn't quite the pinnacle of motorsport IMHO. Anyway, rain is rain, fair enough it can happen – just not too often please.

Back
Top Bottom