Grand Prix 2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So it’s Formula One’s tribute act to New Years’ Eve: an interminable and unexciting pre-amble to ten minutes of fireworks then the vain hope that next year will be better.

Ok, so that’s the least optimistic take ever, but Abu Dhabi has only really produced one race that is memorable for being a great race - 2012 - and we all recall the radio calls of the winner more than the action.

Brazil suggests that Hamilton’s Mercedes (with the 2018 engine) is the best around, but they’ve not shown much pace at night this year even if circumstances conspired to deliver victory in Singapore. There’s usually a multi-chassis race in the top six, somewhere.

It’s the end of an error, erm... era, at Woking as McLaren bail from the Honda project. Toro Rosso are currently showing them how easy Renault can be to work with.

Most will expect the pink Force Indias to be followed home by yellow, orange and white machinery with the Heartgas partnership at Toro Rosso around too.

Sauber will probably bring up the rear. Nice to mention them?

A season that promised a title race for the ages has delivered a remarkably damp squib. All we can say, Formula One, is see you in 2018.

The Mercedes is such an inferior car to the Ferrari, Lauda was absolutely right. I hope they remain competitive next season. Otherwise it’s going to be a one horse race.

I’ll get my hat...:goodday:

Bonsai?
acer-bonsai-pall.jpg

Well they are discussing our issues, pre race. People getting bored and not tuning in, the problem of dirty air. Ross Brawn said that the way forward is amazing looking exciting cars, noisy V6 engines, with energy recovery systems, that the driver is allowed to manage. Good old Ross.

First time that three drivers have finished a season with 300 or more points.

Edit: The new logo:
DPkTBwHX0AULU_Q.jpg

Is it supposed to be an image of a tap?

NCT001-SINGLE-B.jpg

Last edited:
how does this happen every season. doesn't seem like 2 minuts since I was watching grosjean exit the pits in FP1 in Melbourne at 1:30am & somehow its the end of the season. although F1 doesn't end with us wanting more. it ends with a whimper & I would say worst race of 2017 but I'll wait for "out of 10" season stats for that. although saying that. ive seen far worse in 2002 2004 2011 & take your pick from back end of vettel dominated won by turn 2. Grand Prix's of 2013. the 1st 30 laps were good I thought some good action down the field. after 95 laps spread over 2 grand prixs on 2 different continents we finally saw Alonso finally find away past Massa whooooo hoo. & lewis tried to have a battle for the lead but he just lost huge amounts of time in that final sector made it impossible

you cant help put thing of the future at this time, for me whatever engines we decide upon V6 V8 V10 V12 Hybrid or not are a side note to our major dirty air problem thats needs sorting asap not in 2021 because I heard Lewis saying this circuit needs changing as just couldnt overtake but thing is in my opinion the circuits fine & he was driving the problem for 55laps, because in F2 sprint & feature race on the same track with less talented drivers there was nothing but positivity, that is the trend for the last few years it how I wasn't surprised at how entertaining race in azerbajain this season because in GP2 they were my 2 favourite races in 2016 had me on the edge of my seat with gasly & gioveranzzis fight through the field then overtake on the final lap to win the race. I'm thinking over the last few months that if we go for ground effect we can have a our cake & eat it. because we reduce the dirty air because the overreliance on wings is stopped cars can get close, without DRS. & we can keep the 2017 downforce, extra speed breaking lap records every weekend

but til then how badly we need competitive 4 way battle mercedes ferrari Red Bull & mclaren/alonso in 2018. but even with then the backmarkers are falling back at too much. i mentioned in America & Brazil that gaps to Top 3 team to everyone else was quite scary. because it has turned into LMP1 & LMP2 situation. because a minute separated them in Mexico & USA

.... Ross Brawn said that the way forward is amazing looking exciting cars, noisy V6 engines, with energy recovery systems, that the driver is allowed to manage....

Just which one of those would generate closer racing which is what most fans seem to want?

I may be getting old but I don't really get that excited about the look of the cars these days (they don't really change very much from year to year) and I've got used to the quieter engines now and it doesn't bother me. The frickin' racing does though!

I really don't get the "engine noise" bit. So the cars aren't screaming in the way a DFV used to, big deal. The problem is the predictable nature of qualifying and racing. Mercedes will take pole, they have an engine mode that makes them unbeatable apart from at a couple of tracks where brute force is not the major requirement. Usually by the end of lap 5 there will be no challenge at the front as the cars behind aren't able to follow the cars in front due aero problems.

Down the field some of the cars will try and race one another but mainly due to the more restricted talent of the pilot than the quality of the car. Ross Brawn might well want "sexy cars", I'd rather the cars were hideous but were able to get close to one another through the corners and not rely on gimmicks like DRS to be able to over take.

Here's an idea - the front wing can only be made up of 3 elements maximum. Then it doesn't matter about turbulent air off the car in front as the cars wouldn't have much in the way of front end grip anyway. Get rid of all the clutter between the front and rear axle and limit electronic aids such as engine mapping, differential settings, brake balance etc. If a driver is struggling to control fuel consumption, that's what his right foot is for.

How about a maximum of 4 switches on the steering wheel and these only have two positions?

Oh, just to explain the Hulkenberg, Bonsai comment. Ted Kravitz was interviewing Sainz and Hulk and discussed the number of places they have made up on the first lap. Nico said that he tries to have a "Bonsai first lap" and Ted corrected him that it was banzai. A very awkward silence followed.

English is obviously not his cup of cake!

Oh, just to explain the Hulkenberg, Bonsai comment. Ted Kravitz was interviewing Sainz and Hulk and discussed the number of places they have made up on the first lap. Nico said that he tries to have a "Bonsai first lap" and Ted corrected him that it was banzai. A very awkward silence followed.

The funny thing is, he corrected a non-native speaker, only to make the mistake two or three times on Sunday...

English is obviously not his cup of cake!
bonsai and banzai is Japanese :thinking:

spot on FB if we get brilliant racing with dirty air no longer a dominant influence. no one will care what they look like. i remember after 2 gp2 races at baku last season & f2 sprint race in Bahrain this season, will buxton tweeted something like i know they are spec cars but if they just had different liveries instead of Prema DAMS & ART it was Red Bull Ferrari & Mercedes would anyone care. the responses were no because it was so entertaining you forgot about everything

Back
Top Bottom