Grand Prix 2015 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Out of the ashes of World War II came a lot of military installations scarcely needed now blowing up enemies was not a priority. Well not so much of a priority.

Silverstone airfield on the Bucks/Northants border was such an installation. With Brooklands going the other way - a victim of the Luftwaffe - British motorsport needed a new home. Today Silverstone has evident primacy over Brands, Donington and the Top Gear test track.

Its corners are famous - Copse relegated from Turn 1 status but unbowed, Abbey renewed, Stowe tricky, Luffield frustrating, Maggots/Becketts flowing.

F1 is scarcely in rude health, with implausible grid penalties adding to its promoter describing it as "crap". What it really needs is barnstormers. And this one's on the BBC, so some people might chance upon it!

Hamilton inherited a sketchy win from Rosberg last year, just as Rosberg had profited from Hamilton and Vettel losing out in 2013. This year, you suspect there'll be Mercedes again to the fore.

It'll be windy. It might be wet. Good ol' Silverstone.

Seems a shame to post this before Austria has even started...

I've watched less F1 in a season than ever; and I'm struggling to get excited about our own GP.

It should be sad but it just feels empty.

Despite that, thanks for a good intro TBY

It could be argued that while Donnington and Brands have retained their character, Silverstone has retained the GP. The price of keeping the Short Lord happy is selling your soul.

At least the cameras will be treated to the sight of packed grandstands from the first wheel turn on Friday until the last on Sunday. Something that we don't see at more than half of the tracks around the globe.

My first visit to Silverstone was part of my 18th Birthday present at the 1992 British GP. I proudly displayed my Team Lotus flag on the general admission banking just after Abbey. Smoking free ciggys that the Marlboro girls were handing out to anyone who wanted one. Watching a group of over excited Mansell fans leap the fence at the end of the race and flag down a very very pissed off Ricardo Patrese in the other Williams. All for the sum of £45 for a general admission race day ticket. (Roughly 84 pounds at todays prices) which when you consider that a race day adult general admission ticket for 2015 is currently displayed onthe silverstone website for 86.80 may put pay to the myth that the tickets have got far too expensive. Though come to think of it, it may just mean that they were always too expensive in the first place.

Last edited:
Seems a shame to post this before Austria has even started...

I've watched less F1 in a season than ever; and I'm struggling to get excited about our own GP.

It should be sad but it just feels empty.

Despite that, thanks for a good intro TBY
Same here, I can't be arsed to watch any F1 live anymore I simply record it and skip through I don't bother with Q1 and Q2 I just fast forward to the last 5 minutes of Q3

Last edited:
I love the British Gp more than any (except for Brazil) so many wonderful memories of Mansel, Damon, Coulthard and of course Lewis (sadly I can't see this one being Jensons turn to win somehow!)

I will certainly watch the British GP this year but in years gone by I would watch them all......but today on Father's Day when I could be expected to kick back and submerge myself in an Austrian F1 fest I just can't see it happening.....I still want My driver and team favourites to do well but the need and the drive to follow every second has just gone.....

King Bernie is losing his grip on all of us it seems....or maybe just losing his grip.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...one-slams-F1-in-his-Gerald-Ratner-moment.html

Interestingly, Nico Rosberg is widely available at 4/1 for the drivers' championship, which might look to some like very long odds indeed given the championship situation and the number of races left.

I wouldn't, though, if I were you.

A good race between the Mercedes will always be Hamilton chasing and passing Rosberg... if roles are reversed I see Hamilton putting up a robust defence. There are a lot of good sports to overtake at Silverstone which should hopefully be set for a good race
Ferrari and Williams ought to be closer or will have a close race no doubt

What else are people expecting out of a good race ? It is really up to the opposition to develop their car to be able to match and race the Mercs. Is it not?

I will certainly watch the British GP this year but in years gone by I would watch them all......but today on Father's Day when I could be expected to kick back and submerge myself in an Austrian F1 fest I just can't see it happening.....I still want My driver and team favourites to do well but the need and the drive to follow every second has just gone.....

King Bernie is losing his grip on all of us it seems....or maybe just losing his grip.....

Well, considering the rumors going around that American Stephen Ross and some Qatar interests may be buying out CVC....we may finally be rid of the little 84 year old troll.

Its hard to be optimistic about the rest of this season providing entertainment, but can we at least be optimistic about the future and hopeful about the salvation of the sport in the years to come?

Looking forward to half-watching the British GP on DVR while doing something else on my laptop.

DaveD perhaps not; I've read that Ross would be keen to keep Bernie on as chief exec even if the buyout bid was successful.

Also, I see that Silverstone have been doing a good job of pissing off loyal customers who bought 'Earlybird' tickets immediately after last year's race, by offering some tickets now at 44% off. Nice one!

Yeah 44% off to "celebrate" Hamilton's number. But don't forget according to some British Journo's (I'm looking at you Mr Brundle) it's already a sell out. Not according to Silverstones website it isn't. Three day general admission tickets were showing up as green on Sunday when I checked, indicating high availability.

Normally this is the one GP of the year I will attend without fail, but this year I haven't been that bothered by it. I have received a number of invites but normally just do general admission because the atmosphere is what makes it. I may watch it on TV after recording it I guess, but that is the extent of my interest.

Strangely enough, if you think that normal tickets are expensive, I get the silverstone hospitality emails, and Paddock Club was coming in at around £4k for 2 days :o There are still some tickets for this left if people really want to...

.....I still want My driver and team favourites to do well but the need and the drive to follow every second has just gone.....
I'm just the same.

I got back into F1 in 2007 and from 2007 through to the end of 2012 I was 100% obsessed with this sport. I had to watch every second of practice and qualifying for every race. The wait from one season to the next felt like forever. The feeling of nervous exitement when the lights cam one at the start.......

I posted all the time on here, BBC606, Muzz606 and Not606

I followed every detail of every test.

F1 has lost its sparkle for me now. I still watch every race but just the races. I rarely post on here now.
And all this while my favorite driver is winning.

I will still be at the british GP in person though for all 3 days. Its the only 3 days of the year when I feel as good about F1 as I used to.

Chad,
Wow, that is a monumentally stupid way to piss off the people who bought tickets last year. I hope they have some way of compensating them or at least throwing in some freebies or something for those early birds from last year. I have no problem with them dropping ticket prices for any excuse as the sport is too expensive in general. But you gotta be smart about how you do it. :thinking:

I had a quick look at this year's Le mans ticket, with a view of going there ext year.

£70 general admission price. For the entire Le Mans week.From past experience I know you get great views in most of the general enclosure area.

I kinda makes you think when you compare it to F1 admission prices in terms of value...

Back
Top Bottom