Grand Prix 2015 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Out of the ashes of World War II came a lot of military installations scarcely needed now blowing up enemies was not a priority. Well not so much of a priority.

Silverstone airfield on the Bucks/Northants border was such an installation. With Brooklands going the other way - a victim of the Luftwaffe - British motorsport needed a new home. Today Silverstone has evident primacy over Brands, Donington and the Top Gear test track.

Its corners are famous - Copse relegated from Turn 1 status but unbowed, Abbey renewed, Stowe tricky, Luffield frustrating, Maggots/Becketts flowing.

F1 is scarcely in rude health, with implausible grid penalties adding to its promoter describing it as "crap". What it really needs is barnstormers. And this one's on the BBC, so some people might chance upon it!

Hamilton inherited a sketchy win from Rosberg last year, just as Rosberg had profited from Hamilton and Vettel losing out in 2013. This year, you suspect there'll be Mercedes again to the fore.

It'll be windy. It might be wet. Good ol' Silverstone.

Yes but... the owner of the Miami Dolphins? Really? It's not going to be an improvement.

Dash Racing
And as a HUGE NFL fan, I can't say he's exactly built a perennial power in Miami and they've had their share of scandals including the Incognito fiasco 2 years ago...where the Mgt and Coaches were clearly running an out of control playground for spoiled kids.

Not encouraging for someone that should be ready to help "fix" F1. Throw in the Qatar connection with people who were probably part of the FIFA scandal at the end of the day...yeah, not a good feeling about this one. :givemestrength:

Exactly my thinking, DaveD I'm not a huge NFL fan, but I know enough to know that the owner of the Miami Dolphins doesn't really know how to do his job. The Qatar connection worries me too. If this fixes F1, it won't be because they're the new owners, but because they'll get bored and sell it to someone who really can fix it.

We have an office in London...i wonder if it's too late to wrangle a trip next week? :) Seriously, I should have planned better because I'd love to be at Silverstone and with a little planning I could have been there.
I've been to Canada and the US races, is Silverstone worth the trip?

Chad,
Wow, that is a monumentally stupid way to piss off the people who bought tickets last year. I hope they have some way of compensating them or at least throwing in some freebies or something for those early birds from last year. I have no problem with them dropping ticket prices for any excuse as the sport is too expensive in general. But you gotta be smart about how you do it. :thinking:
I think it's just the general entry prices they've dropped. My sister just bought two grandstand tickets ( there are a few left) and she paid full price. More than I paid on the earky bird price.

I had a look to see what is available on Bookf1.com. There are no 3 day tickets under £300 and very few Sunday only ones either. Looking elsewhere I did find some general admission at just over £200. I'm not going at those prices.

According to Silverstone's own website the race day general admission tickets are available for £155 and the three day general admission tickets are £249.

Where am I going wrong? I go to https://shop.silverstone.co.uk/Page...t=BGPTBA&campaign=&type=S&productsubtype=F115 where there is a map of the circuit showing the various areas. If I click on a General Admission area a pop-up allows me to select one ticket, I then click on "Buy" and up comes a message saying "Sorry, there are not enough tickets available. Please re-select and try again.".

If I go to the menu area on the left hand side and click on "Area" a list comes up which has 13 selections, Farm is the cheapest at £249.

Bill Boddy Greenlantern is right, general entries have now sold out. They were 155 for Sunday and 175 for three days. The cheapest grandstand still available is Woodcote B and Village B at 289. My sister bought two Stowe tickets just two days ago at about 220, but it seems they've now gone. It definately pays to book early. My three day tickets at Village A , which is a great view were about £ 250/ 60 ish

Back
Top Bottom