Grand Prix 2014 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Hamberg

FOTA VIP, I've got the avatar to prove it :)
Contributor
Doesn't surprise me, you have to be a bit more lenient with first lap incidents. Where did you get it it was more Perez fault from the document though?

"...do not believe that either driver were wholly or predominantly to blame"

Splash

Points Scorer
But the argument was that there was a mode that they had agreed that they would not use; this may be because of several reasons; here are just two.
  1. The engine mode would put more strain on the engine, meaning it made it slightly more likely to blow; the team didn't want to take that risk with either driver - and if one driver is using it to generate more power, then the other driver would need to as well, to stay in contention.
Why didn't Mercedes just disable that mode via the software?

If they were worried it might blow the engines then they should probably have disabled it anyway.

If they were worried that one driver might "unfairly" use it then they should have made sure that it was disabled on both cars.

Don't give a driver a tool that you don't want him to use.

Chad Stewarthill

Champion Elect
Contributor
How are we not talking about Bianci? (Or sis I just miss it?) A brilliant drive by him.
Yeah, he overtook Kimi, Seb, Sergio, Esteban, Jean-Eric, Daniil, Valtteri, Adrian and even Pastor. :whistle:

Don't get me wrong; joking apart, it was a great result for Marussia, and gratifying to note the genuine congratulations from the other teams, including the top ones. But it was a peculiarly 'Monaco' result; I can't see it being repeated at any other circuit.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
Why didn't Mercedes just disable that mode via the software?

If they were worried it might blow the engines then they should probably have disabled it anyway.....
It is there because they need to make sure that if they really have to turn the power up then they can. I expect that they use it for the first part of the race to build up a lead and then switch to a less powerful but easier on the engine mode. They cannot lock modes out or remove them during the race so they have to rely on the drivers following orders.

I suspect that Lauda may well have given his drivers a few words of caution such as reminding them about Spain and saying Monaco has evened it up, so be good boys again.

Top Bottom