Grand Prix 2013 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Mokpo's love motels welcome you to the Korean Grand Prix, situated on bleak wasteland miles away from anywhere else. Envisioned as a 'motor city', with tall buildings surrounding the circuit, it is likely that the race will drop of the calendar in the next couple of years, showing the success of the Korean venture into Formula 1. It's not a brilliant circuit to be honest, and some of the races there were rather tedious. It is, therefore, seen as one of the less memorable grands prix of the season.

In terms of the championship, Vettel's won it. Only Alonso (60 points behind with 150 left to play for) has a realistically small chance of overcoming the young German.

The only really memorable race here was the inaugural one in 2010, held in wet conditions, and finishing in the dark after an unnecessarily long red flag & safety car period. When we eventually got racing on the construction site that was the Yeongam circuit, Webber span out, Vettel's engine expired, Alonso won, the midfielders forgot how to drive and Jonathan Legard got all confused between Hamilton & Button.

To be honest, it would be easier to skip these final races and fast forward to 2014. Ah well.

Ready, Steady, Discuss!!!

Last edited:
I just look at the Turns 10-18 complex and wonder how anyone, let alone F1's pre-eminent designer, could foresee that producing good close racing. And you're completely right that the marbles only serve to exacerbate the problem.

But luckily we'll never see Yeongam again (good thing they displaced those farmers:rolleyes:), because Seb already spilled the beans that we wont be back. He would have gotten that info directly from Bernie I'm sure.

Yup, I have to say that although I warmed to it, I'll not miss it at all.

Edit: I miss Turkey ... one of the two best circuits Tilke ever designed. The other being COTA, Austin, Texas.

Last edited:
I've not read it in so many words but I gather the fire truck incident resulted from the combination of Charlie Whiting being less than comprehensive in issuing his directive and the circuit's fire marshal being zealous in the performance of his duties.

"Charlie, should we send out the fire truck?"

"Yeah, ..."

"SCRAMBLE THE FIRE TRUCK!!"

...VRROOOMM!!!...

"...but wait until after the safety car is deployed."​

Oops.

I have mentioned before that my faith in the FIA is less than absolute. Over the past few years they (the FIA) seem to be taking a firmer and firmer grasp on what all of us should want from F1. It's like they listen to what the fans say, take it in, shit it out and do their own thing.

Fans - "That was a great race in Canada [2010]"
FIA - "You enjoyed a one off race where the tires were unpradictable? Then I bet you will enjoy that all the time!"
Fans - "No, it was just nice to see it as a one o..."
FIA - "You'll love it"

Fans - "That was a great pass by RoGro on Massa in Hungary!"
FIA - "I'm glad that you are enjoying the prescribed overtaking that we can allow in our predetermined safe passing zones."
Fans - "No, it happened on a corner completely separate from either DRS zone. He really had to work fo..."
FIA - "Not on my watch sucker! Penalty!"

Fans - "It was great to see Alonso give Webber a lift back to the pits."
FIA - "Oh, did you enjoy seeing a lovely symbolic act of kindness from one driver to another, despite them being in different teams? And did you notice that any amount of common sense and alert driving from those that passed them on the track could have avoided an accident?"
Fans - "Umm, yes. It all looked goo...."
FIA - "Wrong answer dumb ass. Penalty!"

We just need to understand that the FIA (and FOM) know best.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the highlight of the race for me. Some classy driving, showing respect and it wasn't all DRS crap. Alonso was much kinder to Hamilton than I was expecting... Still a great move from Hamilton with a car considerably slower car on the straights.

(Awaits the FOM to remove the video...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom