Grand Prix 2013 Indian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Here's CTA's discussion thread on the Indian GP, as F1 travels to New Delhi from October 25-27:

WDC:

Despite the best efforts of Webber and RoGro, Vettel needs only a fifth place finish to secure his 4th title, which means its all over in the WDC. But the drivers down the grid have more than pride at stake.

Alonso's lack of performance over the last 2 races, better pace from Hamilton and Kimi and the lack of any bad luck for Webber means that the 2nd to 5th positions in the WDC are yet to be settled. And good performances (or the lack of it) from several drivers (Hulkenberg, Massa, Sutil, Di Resta to name a few) could still determine where (and if) they are driving next season.

WCC:

RBR may be on the verge of winning the WCC, but only 33 points separate 2nd placed Ferrari from 4th placed Lotus, and the battle for 2nd position (very important from a monetary standpoint) is poised to go down to the last couple of races. Sauber and McLaren may have secured their respective positions from their rivals, but can McLaren get that elusive podium to avoid the record books from being rewritten.

Circuit and Race:

Despite having an interesting track layout, with each and every lap of the Indian GP being led by Vettel to date, its no wonder that the past races don't trigger too many memories. And with race not being held next year, a good race and crowd support will be essential for the race to return in 2015.

But throw in some encouraging signs from the Japanese GP (atleast Vettel didn't win it in Lap 1) and the tyre degradation battles in the last 2 races (tracks similar in nature to the BIC) and who knows, we could have an interesting Indian GP. But one things for sure, it will be a pleasant surprise if we dont see that finger....

As I said Mephistopheles I know many who feel exactly as you do and I do understand. I've always read as much as possible about countries I'm about to visit to try to develop a little understanding of the culture. Giving money to anyone in the street has always been a mistake in India for reasons you discovered. There are far more effective ways of giving in any foreign culture which benefit the entire community thereby avoiding the unfortunate experience you had. Beggars are pimped in India just like prostitution in other societies. A sad fact in any desperately poor country, those at the bottom of the ladder are used and abused and sadly rarely have a way up which is why its so important to find an effective way to help, if your lucky enough to have the money to do so of course.

Back to the Indian Grand Prix...

Any doubt we will see the new WDC crowned at this race?

Back to the Indian Grand Prix...

Any doubt we will see the new WDC crowned at this race?

No. Although we could hope for some Delhi belly to mix things up. Although food poisoning is more Mark's thing isn't it.

Last edited:
I think we are all being a tad rude about the Indian GP.

It is no worse a track than many over the last decade, many of which have been ignored by the local populace (Bernie's doing!?) and Vettel will win where Vettel wins, so we all need to hope for catastrophe for the said Vettel, or failing that, concentrate on P2 and back.

It will be a shame if he (Vettel) wins this Grand Prix. If it is the last Indian Grand Prix then he's won every single F1 race that they have ever had, and no one will ever be able to challenge him. Which seems a bit of a shame.

Promotion though seems to be absolutely pathetic.

I don't know what the fad is with building all these great tracks a long way from any major city. Korea/Turkey/India miles from anywhere, no wonder no-one comes. Probably add Russia to that list as well.

Take a look at Austin, 10 miles from the city, no wonder it works. Same with Abu Dhabi, right next to one of the world's major airports.

If this New Jersey race happens, it will be an instant hit, right next to 3 of the world's major airports (Newark, JFK @ La Guardia). Access will be so easy.

I believe Vettel needs to retire/no score and Alonso has to come 2nd to keep the WDC going until the next race. Alonso hasn't been on the podium since Singapore and Vettel hasn't been off the podium since Silverstone.

LifeW12 - Having said that, Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps and Nurburgring are scarcely in urban locations either.

I suppose that was the problem with Magnu-Cours though.

The entire country is the wrong location. India is not a car culture. F1 needs to be held in countries where the population are still in love with their cars, in other words, the west. The only two Asian countries where F1 can and will flourish are Singapore and Japan.

they recently built a new one in Inje not far from Seoul

LifeW12 - Having said that, Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps and Nurburgring are scarcely in urban locations either.

I suppose that was the problem with Magnu-Cours though.

But these tracks were built in the WWII era, where the lay of the land determined the layout. Street racing was too dangerous and they didn't exactly have 300 million lying around.

A trip to these tracks is never an issue because of the heritage and soul of the place.

Magny Cours was built in 1991 and being miles from Paris, it was bound to fail. How it managed to stay around for nearly 20 years is beyond me, maybe money was the major factor.

India though, no heritage, no soul.

Last edited:
I think it is fair to say the race should of been closer to a major city, but to say its in the wrong country is rather short sighted.

The race was taken to India to try and get the Indians interested in F1. With 1 billion people in India it is a huge untapped market place. All it would need is for Force India to make a decent car or India to produce a world class driver who could drive for anyone but even better if its for a fast Force India.

You have to remember that empty seats used to be the norm in Spain as well before a certain Mr Alonso came along. Being in the wrong location is no longer a problem if the whole country has a hero to cheer on. Thats why Silverstone is always packed despite being in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
India may have a billion plus people, but trying to attract 100,000 of them to motorsport will be a hell of an undertaking.
Spain and India bare no comparison, every aspect of the two cultures are worlds apart, in fact it's fair to say India is worlds apart from any country on the planet you care to think of. To believe that Force India and a successful Indian driver, if we could find one, could do for F1 in India what Alonso did for F1 in Spain is wishful thinking at best, Spain has a rich motor racing history, including a complex comparable to Brooklands that, like Brooklands, also feel into disuse many years ago. Spanish interests followed with fanaticism, two wheeled motorsport until Alonso arrived on the scene, but motorsport in the form of motorcycling was very much imbedded in their culture. If F1 ever clashes with a reasonably important cricket match in India there will be 100,000 spectators for sure, but not at the Grand Prix.
We should never forget how many of the billion people we talk about don't even have running water. I really don't think India and F1 go together. I see that Bernie's next target is Thailand and the Thai government has agreed to underwrite it. Most on this site will guess how that makes me feel. I've been helping feed and educate children in Thailand for over fifteen years. I felt sick knowing that Bernie would suck money out of Thailand that's needed so badly in the poor regions. The GP in Australia cost the State plenty so I hope no ones going to tell me how Thailand will benefit. I think I'm going to throw up. >:(

My sister in law is Thai, lives in Thailand, is a huge F1 fan and is super excited they are getting a GP.

I missed the part where F1 became a sport for the poor and only takes on new ventures if it's part of an economic development programme.

Back
Top Bottom