Grand Prix 2013 Indian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Here's CTA's discussion thread on the Indian GP, as F1 travels to New Delhi from October 25-27:

WDC:

Despite the best efforts of Webber and RoGro, Vettel needs only a fifth place finish to secure his 4th title, which means its all over in the WDC. But the drivers down the grid have more than pride at stake.

Alonso's lack of performance over the last 2 races, better pace from Hamilton and Kimi and the lack of any bad luck for Webber means that the 2nd to 5th positions in the WDC are yet to be settled. And good performances (or the lack of it) from several drivers (Hulkenberg, Massa, Sutil, Di Resta to name a few) could still determine where (and if) they are driving next season.

WCC:

RBR may be on the verge of winning the WCC, but only 33 points separate 2nd placed Ferrari from 4th placed Lotus, and the battle for 2nd position (very important from a monetary standpoint) is poised to go down to the last couple of races. Sauber and McLaren may have secured their respective positions from their rivals, but can McLaren get that elusive podium to avoid the record books from being rewritten.

Circuit and Race:

Despite having an interesting track layout, with each and every lap of the Indian GP being led by Vettel to date, its no wonder that the past races don't trigger too many memories. And with race not being held next year, a good race and crowd support will be essential for the race to return in 2015.

But throw in some encouraging signs from the Japanese GP (atleast Vettel didn't win it in Lap 1) and the tyre degradation battles in the last 2 races (tracks similar in nature to the BIC) and who knows, we could have an interesting Indian GP. But one things for sure, it will be a pleasant surprise if we dont see that finger....

FB that is a very odd quote especially as he was supposedly pushed into the race seat by Mercedes.

Is he suggesting that the car would suit a Renault or Ferrari engine better? Is he suggesting its the engine that wrecks the tyres? Maybe he's just ranting nonsense.

Force India very much need a top ten finish this weekend to stop the advance of the much improved Sauber. Both drivers need a result personally as well.

On the last few race performances I don't see it happening though.

Now Guttierrez is a man to watch as he needs another good result. Could be a death or MowMow situation though so either glory or gravel trap awaits.

I fully expect another lack luster quali from Alonso and Kimi followed by lots of people waxing lyrical about their great drives when they get back up to where they should be in the first place.

Anyone seen this?
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/f1-and-india/

If the Indian government removes the $5m tax exemption from this GP then it seems pretty unlikely it'll return in 2015.

This is turning into quite a rhetorical topic on this thread :):

• The Indian Govt does not really care too much about F1. For them its a private event and even this $5m payment is to be made by Jaypee
  • India has elections in the next 6 months and there is presently a lot of political pressure due to a fall in economic growth (currently at the lowest in the last 9 years) and the growing budget deficit. The last thing a power hungry politician wants is to answer questions on tax exemptions for an "elitist" sport
  • I get a feeling that Jaypee have also topped up on the economic benefits of the race (I referred to this in an earlier post on the thread). There is absolutely minimal marketing for this event (the first year when the crowd touched 98k, there was a Lady Gaga concert. Some may think this is stupid but marketing is a big factor to promote an event which does not have a history with the locals)
  • The concerns about the taxation that the govt has requested the teams have to pay, while correct are slightly exaggerated. Due to India's budget balancing concerns over the last 2 years, there is a massive drive to increase taxation which unfortunately, has given India quite a bad name - The finance nerds can google about Vodafone and Shell taxation cases in India
  • As many posts have already mentioned, India does have things more important that F1 to adhere to. But this will always be a paradox in a country which has several people in the list of the world's top billionaires, is an important reason for Apple to launch the Iphone 5c, but paradoxically has a large portion of the population whose annual income is less than the cost of an Iphone 5c
  • Last but not the least, IMO F1 does not have a future in India for the next 10 years till the focus turns from increasing sustainability of the population to improving the country's global image
Hoping for a Webber Vettel crash on Turn 3 to make this a race worth remembering :please:

Will Vettel actually let Webber win one before the end of the season?
The short answer is "No." it was so obvious to anyone with half a brain he didn't want to do it in Brazil that time of the "Oh seb you've got a gearbox problem." fiasco and then the team tried to make out he was some sort of god by even bringing the car home and the absolutely pathetic comments by seb saying he now knows how Senna felt when he lost all his gears and dragged the car home.

And so my opinion is no, no, no and no he won't...

And quite honestly. Why should he? If Mark ain't good enough to win on merit then he ain't good enough and it would be insulting to gift him a win, like some dog waiting for the scraps from the masters table..

I don't know why anyone thought that was so special, those steering wheels slip on faster then a greased marigold, far quicker than the the wheels on each corner do...

Yeah I know they made a big deal out of it at the time but meh, it didn't impress me, I've seen it happen before loads of times...

Last edited:
Please tell me when else you've seen a 3.3 second pit stop with a steering wheel change?

Nobody was expecting it, it was executed very slickly (is that even a word? :nah:) and was a point of interest in a Vettel race.

I also said it was memorable, not special, which is clearly the case if I brought it up.

Of course your right, I do remember it but I can't remember anything else about the race, which either says something about me or the quality of the race..

Lets face it, It's me isn't it?

Last edited:
Please tell me when else you've seen a 3.3 second pit stop with a steering wheel change?

Nobody was expecting it, it was executed very slickly (is that even a word? :nah:) and was a point of interest in a Vettel race.

I also said it was memorable, not special, which is clearly the case if I brought it up.

I saw Mansell change all 5 wheels in Brazil in 1989 because Ferrari's flappy paddle gearbox on his steering wheel had more bugs in it than Windows Vista. Think it was longer than 3.3 seconds though. Mansell did win the race however and missed his flight home in the process as he hadn't expected his Ferrari to make it past 7 laps and had booked an early flight home!

Last edited:
You know the racing hasn't been all that good when the best moment happens on the pit lane!

For actual on track "action", the first 2/3 of a lap in 2012 is all I remember.

Another one for the Sky+ box I think, so I can whizz forward through the inevitable Bollywood homage and the cringeworthy "Pinky & Krav go shopping in New Delhi" bits, plus the equally grimly predictable feature on the Force India drivers and how "bitterly disappointed" they are bound to be with how the season has panned out, but are hopeful of a good result at their second "home" GP:bored:...and that's before we even get to yet another teeth-grinding interview with Christian Horner. That man will become the new poster boy for Bruxism after this season, with all the "trying to be cheerful and complimentary in the face of increasing antipathy and loathing for everything Red Bull stands for and achieves". :rolleyes:

Hmm - excuse me while I go away and choke on my own bile...:sick:

Mephistopheles[India is] a country you either love or hate,...
I both love and hate India. It is the most enchanting, most mystical place I ever have visited. But in time, I found it soul-crushing to be surrounded by that much misery and human suffering. And I am largely considered a callous and unfeeling lout.

I previously have gone on record stating the Buddh circuit was a mistake, both because of the level of poverty and the primitive infrastructure. I once spent 13 hours in a hired car travelling just 250 km from Delhi, mostly over 'modern' dual carriageways. It took so long because of the state of disrepair of the roads and the masses of bicycles, farm equipment, herdsmen (with herds) and draught animals we shared the roadway with. So what passes for a short drive to westerners looks far more formidable through Indian eyes. And even the most posh Delhi accommodations do not rival Abu Dhabi or Monaco, so good luck attracting the international jet set to fill those vacant grandstands.

Not to mention F1 must lure away India's entertainment rupees away from its two greatest loves, cricket and the cinema.

But back on topic, ...

Do you suppose it's only KARMA that the RED BULLS should clinch the World Championships in the country of the SACRED COW?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom