2013 Driver Line Up

Worst one of the lot as far as I'm concerned. Has never even impressed in GP2.

It is dutch media report though so maybe just maybe they've jumped the mark. Prob not though.

Just that odd FI seat left.

Just noticed that FI have a new partnership with TW Steel (Dutch watchmakers) maybe thats what the driver thing is all about? Maybe they were waiting to see their budget before making the driver decision.

So, finally, a clear out of some of the old hangers on - Glock, Kovaleinen, Petrov etc. I'm no fan of pay drivers but to get a few younger guys having a chance has to welcomed rather than the same old farts driving around at the back.

Now, I am all for giving young drivers a shot in an F1 seat, but I will never understand why teams give two youngsters rides on the same team. Pic and van der Garde? I keep expecting Caterham to make a step forward, but 1) switching driver lineups every year will not work and 2) it's been proven year after year that a young driver NEEDS to be paired with a veteran if they want the younger to develop and team to score points.

2) it's been proven year after year that a young driver NEEDS to be paired with a veteran if they want the younger to develop and team to score points.

My counter-examples:

1984: Ayrton Senna & Johnny Ceccotto (second year)
2001: Nick Heidfeld (second year) & Kimi Raikkonen (23 car races) = Sauber's best ever WCC result ex. BMW years
2007: Sebastian Vettel & Vitantonio Liuzzi

I guess what I'm saying is the best drivers will out.

.....and they said that was what the plan was just 4 weeks ago.

I can see why they went for Pic because he showed last year that he has a little bit of something. Van Der Garde is a complete mystery to me when Razia was testing for them and obviously has backing himself. Razia is younger and has a much better record. Doesn't make too much sense to me.

teabagyokel I understand what you're saying. However I don't think we can compare Senna, Kimi and Vettel with Charles Pic and van der Garde. I think Pic does have some skill, but I still feel teams and young drivers will ALWAYS benefit from having a veteran presence in the other car. Not just in developing the car, but also the young driver.

So just Razia to be confirmed by Marussia then; you have to assume he has been given a contract to have posted as such on his own site.

Bloody FI are being extremely annoying by not announcing their second driver until the Barcelona test.
Which is after we launch Fantasy F1...

Don't forget van der Garde already has a lot of experience and has been test driver for the team. Seems he's done well enough in that role to deserve an upgrade.

So,
Luiz Razia (who was beaten to the 2012 GP2 title by Davide Valsecchi) gets a F1 race seat,
Esteban Gutierrez (who finished 3rd) gets a F1 race seat,
Max Chilton (4th) gets a F1 race seat,
Diego Van der Garde (5th) gets a F1 race seat.

David Valsecchi meanwhile has to settle for a 'third driver' position. At least it's with a decent team I suppose. He'll just have to hope that Grosjean gets himself another ban.

On the above evidence, my prediction for Force India's second driver is Jon Lancaster.

Don't forget van der Garde already has a lot of experience and has been test driver for the team. Seems he's done well enough in that role to deserve an upgrade.

Yes he has a lot of experience at not winning anything and constantly being rejected for F1 drives! Our survey says Uh Uher!

At least Razia is relatively young.

Seems he's going to get the nod over Sutil and Bruno thank god!

But who's gonna be the third driver? Force India test driver usual means race seat the year after!

Van der Garde is 27 (almost 28) and has never done anything of note in the lower championships except becoming the Formula Renault 3.5 champion in his second season. After 4 seasons in GP2 he has a total of 5 wins and his highest championship position was 5th. The only thing he has probably done well enough at is bringing money.

Back
Top Bottom