Football 2013/14 season

Who will win the 2013/14 Premier League?

• Arsenal

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Aston Villa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardiff

• Chelsea

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Crystal Palace

• Everton

• Fulham

• Hull

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Liverpool

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Man City

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Man Utd

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Newcastle

• Norwich

• Southampton

• Stoke

• Sunderland

• Swansea

• Tottenham

• West Ham

• West Brom

• Total voters
cider_and_toast well I was a little young for that, but after Ronaldo moving, there was a sudden jump in football player prices.

The clubs with extra mega bucks are probably to blame, it's getting really ridiculous now.

Yeah, and Chelsea 50 Million for Torres ROFL

Some people have got more money than sense but tthe whole thing is beyond stupid. I've just bee reading the troubles facing Coventry. Another club with a proud histroy being driven to the wall by a combination of over ambition, foreign ownership and financial mis-management. The crippleing price of trying to keep up with or buy your way into the elite is crippling most clubs.

Out of interest, these are the biggest transfers of the 80's and early 90's, inflation adjusted to give you some idea of how that looks in relation to todays transfer market.

Maradonna - Boca Juniors to Barcelona 1983: £8.5 million

Maradonna - Barcelona to Napoli 1984: £13.5 million

Ruud Gullit - PSV Eindhoven to Milan 1987: £14.3 million

Roberto Baggio - Florentina to Juventus 1990: £15.4 million

Jean-Pierre Papin - Marseille to Milan 1992: £17.5 million

Gianluca Vialli - Sampdoria to Juventus 1992: £21 million

Gianluigi Lentini - Torino to Milan 1992: £22.7 million

Alan Shearer - Blackburn to Newcastle 1996: £24.4 million

Strange to think that in todays crazy world of football, for one Fernando Torres you could have had Maradonna, Gullit and Baggio playing in your team.

I suspect that this time they haven't got the money up front and want to pay in instalments.

On the other hand, if they've got the cash we should bite their hands off. We could name the new stadium after Gareth!

To be honest, if Ii were Levy, I would be laughing that Madrid would be stupid enough to approach £100m for Bale. No player is worth that much - you could probably buy 5/6 world-class players for that!! So sell him, I say. He'll only come back to Spurs after a few years anyway for a knocked-down fee.

I'd like to offer my congratulations to Portsmouth for their stunning start to the season, not! Looks like it could be Conference football for 14/15 :(

A friend of mine who has been a season ticket holder at Fratton Park since he was a boy was quite philosophical about that Bus Stop Chicane and simply said no he wouldn't and I bow to his greater wisdom and love for the team than me. Like many teams Pompey bought some (limited) success but their backers didn't have the pockets of the Arabs at Man City or the Russian at Chelsea, etc, etc.

FA Cup win, AC Milan at Fratton Park, incredible times but it obviously couldn't last. The real kick in the nuts was the latest spell in administration when that Latvian bloke was arrested as the club just didn't deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom