Pre-Season 2012 New Car Images & Discussion

I see the boffins at Ferrari have been reading their history books,

thumb.jpg

He's got a very valid point...

My understanding is that the high nose was introduced for its aero benefits and the FIA are moving back towards low noses to reduce reliance on aero.

Why not go the whole hog and say that the underside of the nose cannot be more than, say, 100mm above the underside of the front wing?

It appears from this forum and others that the low nose cars of the 80's and 90's are liked for their clean lines and low noses.

I think the low nose is all about safety, rather than aero. The FIA were concerned about the nose intruding into the side of the cockpit or riding up and hitting a helmet.

The low-low nose cars of the 80s were just as bad, because in a front-rear shunt the driver behind was in danger of the gearbox of the car in front ending up on his head. There's a compromise in there somewhere.

The low-low nose cars of the 80s were just as bad, because in a front-rear shunt the driver behind was in danger of the gearbox of the car in front ending up on his head. There's a compromise in there somewhere.
So ideally you want the nose lower but not too low, say at or maybe just above axle-height, so as not to submarine under the car ahead?

Back
Top Bottom