Grand Prix 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Someone other than Vettel is leading the Championship!

It may be strange to see, but for the first time since Abu Dhabi 2010 someone other than Sebastian Vettel is top of the Championship after Jenson Button won the Australian Grand Prix in commanding fashion with Vettel second and a folorn Hamilton falling foul of a safety car which allowed the German through.

Going into Malaysia it seems apparent that Mclaren have the strongest car as they were far and away the strongest team in Australia and it was only after having to fuel save for 90% of the race that let Red Bull get within distance, when Button and Hamilton were at full throttle for the first 8 laps, they pulled away at over a second a lap which provided a comfortable cushion even though it was wiped out by a safety car due to Vitaly Petrov breaking down on the main straight.

But the Australian Grand Prix raised more questions than it did provide answers, the only thing that we learned was that the not quite so new teams are still as bad as they were last season and Mclaren and Red Bull are the two fastest teams. Ferrari had a shocking qualifying but Fernando Alonso managed to drag it kicking and screaming into 5th place which suggests a better race pace compared to qualifying pace while beleaguered Felipe Massa trundled around in midfield like he was on a Sunday drive in the Australian parks.

lotus are the only team where a question mark still remains about the general competitiveness. Roman Grosjean qualified a remarkable third but was taken out early on by Maldando while returning champion Kimi Raikkonnen failed to get out of first qualifying but managed to fight through the field to finish a very strong seventh which suggests that they do have a strong car but need to ally qualifying with race pace if they are to take the fight to the top teams.

In 2011 Malaysia was a race full of pit stops due to the high degradation of the Pirelli tyres, and while the tyres this year are more conservative and stable, high degradation is still to be expecting and several pit stops are going to be the norm with an unpredictable weekend to come. The only thing to expect is the likelihood of a massive shower at some point during the weekend which would no doubt spice things up.

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/sepang-international-circuit/

I have to say I am still unconvinced with regards to Vettel's overtaking credentials. This is not because of anything he has done wrong - but im just yet to see enough evidence. OK so he earned the title "crash kid" during 2010 but that year is long gone. During 2011 he showed signs that he could overtake, but I do not yet think there's enough evidence to say what kind of class he is in this category.

I honestly think Jenson and Lewis are the two best overtakers in F1 right now. Lewis showed his overtaking credentials before their were tyres that cause huge differences in lap time or a DRS to help top speed. I honestly think Lewis' overtaking has been temporarily haulted a little because of all the focus he had in 2011 and when a few moves don't go your way you inevitably lose confidence. Anyway, so back to Vettel - all I can say is that almost all of his overtakes seem to look like he is "pushing his way" past another car and generally requires the other car to move out of the way. I feel on certain occasions if others cars had not lifted acceleration or moved out of the way then there would have been an accident. I know many overtakes fall into this same category, but I just feel with Vettel, almost all his overtakes are like this. He seems to wait for a while and then suddenly goes for a move and it doesn't look like a natural or normal overtaking move. This could be a fault or it could be a new invention.

Take his overtake on Rosberg at AUS. Rosberg is renowned for getting out of the way when people try to overtake him and have a faster car - he does not put up a good fight and Vettel just seemed to drive around him, I didn't personally think it was a proper overtake. I do think his overtake on Alonso at Monza was very impressive but equally, it wasn't a stereotypical overtake, he drove around Alonso because he clearly had a much better car. Now I know most overtakes are done in this way but one still has the feeling as to how much he actually made that overtake himself and how much of it was due to the Red Bull's imperious cornering speed that just blew Alonso aside.

All in all I still have my reservations. I want to clarify, I in no way or form have the mantle out and think he cannot overtake. He may turn out to be an overtaking great, but with such a dominant car in the past few years and generally leading races, he hasn't proved it yet. He does generally look a bit clumsy and forceful in his passes and lacks a bit of finesse compared to some other drivers, but this could just be his style.

The jury is still out?

if its rain then its a lottery because I guess most of the cars would have been set up for dries and aquaplane

unless Red Bull deliberately ran more downforce hence the slow speed

Now they've got their little "push to overtake" buttons this isn't so true.

It depends on your definition of "noteworthy". I would consider (directly) DRS-aided passes to be particularly unlikely to be noteworthy, although Hamilton's pass on Schumi at Monaco last year was an exception. A noteworthy pass to me is one that exhibits an unusual quality of judgement by being daring and barely on the edge of the possible, and a level of execution which seems beyond the ability of most drivers most of the time.

if its rain then its a lottery because I guess most of the cars would have been set up for dries and aquaplane

unless Red Bull deliberately ran more downforce hence the slow speed

It definitely is more of a test, but lottery may be slightly far. The quickest car will often be quick in the wet too. It levels the playing field too, making the driver more important. Going to be fantastic either way, I reckon.

I have to say I am still unconvinced with regards to Vettel's overtaking credentials. This is not because of anything he has done wrong - but im just yet to see enough evidence. OK so he earned the title "crash kid" during 2010 but that year is long gone. During 2011 he showed signs that he could overtake, but I do not yet think there's enough evidence to say what kind of class he is in this category.

The jury is still out?

Rather than the thread going off topic I thought I'd reply with a video in the Vettel thread.

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/sebastian-vettel.2464/page-33#post-117094

So excited for tomorrow's race. Gutted it'll be 3 weeks till China. A Lewis win and 40 points on the board would be a great start, even if Button has 43. Come on Lewis!!!

I believe its Mclaren's race to lose whatever the weather. Im backing Button to win again, Hamilton looked extremely quick but that lock up in the final corner on his fastest lap looked nasty, it could cost him dearly in the first stint

I believe its Mclaren's race to lose whatever the weather. Im backing Button to win again, Hamilton looked extremely quick but that lock up in the final corner on his fastest lap looked nasty, it could cost him dearly in the first stint
Hope it rains..........and they start on wets...........:yesss:

It will rain! It won't rain! It will be interesting either way though! Will there be a Mclaren rain dance? I would like it to start dry and rain in the middle between lap 9-38 drying till the end

I hope it rains 1-2 hours before the race, or whatever needed so that we have a normal start but wet. Safety car starts seem to be the norm these days in wet races. A bit of rain then in the race would add to the unpredictability. Just hope we can get the full laps in. Even if it means waiting like Canada. From a Lewis pov though, I want it dry and predictable. ;)

I want it to start raining just as the red lights go out.
Now that would be something! If it does rain, Schumi will have his best chance of a podium/win in a long time!
Tacitus gives a useful prediction. Both Mclarens will crash out in turn 1 trying to take the lead. :twisted:
Schumi will cruise to victory. You heard it first hear folks!!
I would love to see that being a schumi fan!

Tacitus gives a useful prediction. Both Mclarens will crash out in turn 1 trying to take the lead. :twisted:

If they really are as matched on pace as Australia, then this seems almost inevitable at least once this season. If they stay smart like Australia though, they should be okay.

Schumi will cruise to victory. You heard it first hear folks!!
If that is true, I would give you a virtual million pounds.

Our clocks went forward last week so I had the same trouble with the OZ GP.

I am really excited for this race (just like every race).

Safety car starts really annoy me. These are the best drivers in the world in the best cars in the world, why are we fannying around starting behind the safety car? Let the lads race and prove their skills. If its not safe to start the race under racing conditions then don't start it at all.

Back
Top Bottom