Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

Massive Ferrari fan here and pretty disappointed with today's performance. Massa was in no mans land :dunno: Alonso, as you would expect from a top line. elite driver clearly had the pace to get into Q3 (Even on used tyres) and should have sneaked through. but for the mistake :no:

Bit of a shame overall as im convinced the Ferrari isn't as bad as it looks! In the hands of Alonso im confident Ferrari could have split the Red Bulls had he went through to Q3

Anyway, roll on the race. I reckon the bulls are the ones to watch, They looked quick in quali considering they were without KERS, ive a feeling they've played a clever one and have concentrated and optimized their car for tomorrow's race.

My prediction for tomorrow

1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Button
4. Webber
5. Alonso
6. Grosjean

It's only the first race so plenty of time for Ferrari to bounce back.

It's going to be interesting finding out how the cars compare over a full race distance.
Roll on tomorrow!

Welcome to the site :wave:

You have to worry, a bit at least, for now, about the stability of a car when Massa was very twitchy and rather cautiously brought it in 16th and Alonso tried to better that and binned it.
They will improve I have no doubt, but it might take the 3 weeks until China before they do.

EDIT: ...and I mean improve back their podium scoring ability, not just bettering 12th & 16th place

It's going to be interesting finding out how the cars compare over a full race distance.
Roll on tomorrow!

Thanks Brogan. And yes, it will be very interesting to see who has edge in terms of race pace. Im particularly looking forward to seeing what Grosjean can do at the start of the race! Exciting stuff :)

You have to worry, a bit at least, for now, about the stability of a car when Massa was very twitchy and rather cautiously brought it in 16th and Alonso tried to better that and binned it.
They will improve I have no doubt, but it might take the 3 weeks until China before they do.

EDIT: ...and I mean improve back their podium scoring ability, not just bettering 12th & 16th place

Yup, but who knows how the car will handle over a long distance. Ferrari have said the cars unpredictable, hopefully its unpredictably good tomorrow. The car may fare better with heavy fuel onboard, .Who knows.. :)

Any news on the driver investigations? I know the HRT's are not being allowed to race tomorrow, but if for instance Karthikeyan was deemed to have blocked Alonso, could a penalty be given which would apply at the next race?
(I'm sure if it were Hamilton involved, it could :whistle:)

From what I've heard (unconfirmed sources) they can't get grid drop because they're not on the grid so it's meaningless, but if they get a reprimand that lasts hanging over them for 5 races, and if they get another reprimand in that time they will get a real penalty.
Only applies to Kartikheyan who allegedly impeded Alonso, de la Rosa was allegedly impeded by Kovaleinen who could face a grid drop.

Roll on tomorrow!

Also going to be interesting seeing how those who pushed their tyres too hard, suffer. It looked like a pretty clean lap from Lewis.

Update:

The F1 website has reversed their original statement of the Kovaleinen/de la Rosa incident to now say that de la Rosa impeded Kovaleinen.

They have also announced that de la Rosa has received a reprimand for impeding Kovaleinen, and Karthhikeyan has received a reprimand for impeding Alonso.
The other case under investigation (Ricciardo allegedly impeding Schumacher) resulted in no action being taken.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/3/13114.html

Any news on the driver investigations? I know the HRT's are not being allowed to race tomorrow, but if for instance Karthikeyan was deemed to have blocked Alonso, could a penalty be given which would apply at the next race?
(I'm sure if it were Hamilton involved, it could :whistle:)

Rule 18.2 of the Sporting regulations states, on the subject of reprimands (imposed under Rule 16.3.d)

"Any driver who receives three reprimands in the same Championship season will, upon the imposition of the third, be given a ten grid place penalty at that Event. If the third reprimand is imposed following an Incident during a race the ten grid place penalty will be applied at the driver’s next Event.
The ten grid place penalty will only be imposed if at least two of the reprimands were imposed
for a driving infringement."

Reprimands are not subject to appeal.

And I guess that impeding another driver is a driving infringement !

Back
Top Bottom