Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

The FIA overreacting to the stepped nose could kill this season stone dead. Who is going to spend the usual vast fortunes getting their cars to the front if they are developing redundant technology?

Are we expecting HRT to not make an appearance tomorrow? Would undermine the rule if they allowed them to race, would it not? I could strap a Cosworth engine to my back and run round the circuit quicker than them.

I'll be surprised if they are

Under Rule 36.1 I don't see any "exceptional circumstances" reason for the Stewards to allow either of them to race.
But:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/3/13114.html
if Kovaleinen is adjudged to have impeded de la Rosa then who knows?

I won't be so crass as to make a joke about a large pile of cash being a valid exceptional circumstance, that would be wrong, on so many levels.

So if the FIA do re-clarify the rules for 2013 and ban stepped noses then with all the other regs staying very similar, McLaren will have a big advantage in this area.
Their biggest advantage though would be this year, unquestionably. IF (yes, that's a big 'If') the Mclaren's nose is giving it a potentially winning advantage (and let's remember that they haven't won anything yet), then unlike the F-Duct, which the other teams were able to mimic fairly quickly, thus nullifying its advantage, no-one else can realistically hope to remove the steps from their own noses this season even if they wanted to, as they are built into the structure of the cars.

hamiltons strategy will be interesting,i hope they dont mess it up.i still dont trust whitmarsh,im sorry i just dont.
End of Quali. McLaren team radio from Jenson Button.
"Yeah...thank-you guys....almost....huh....I lost a tenth on the..yeah...back straight into the corner of turn 11. But...er...yeah.....good job by everyone, great to be on the front row."

The FIA should have predicted the stepped nose. There is no point changing rules if you don't consider the possibility of creating something dangerous or butt ugly.
I believe they did, didn't they? But there wasn't unanimous agreement within the teams to the chassis height being reduced accordingly, as they were (or so they thought) getting so much aerodynamic benefit from keeping it as high as possible.

Today's pole time was 1.4 seconds off last year. Think we'll have to wait till Malaysia to see how much of this was EBD/tyres, as the track was very green out there.

If we have a close season, with 2011's quality of races, could we be on for one of the best seasons ever, in a golden era of seasons...I honestly don't think I'm being overly optimistic saying this, even if it is early days. Sooooo...looking forward to tomorrow.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, tomorrow will show whether your optomism is justified :) I hope so, I think the same

It was the other way round!
That's what I thought.

Don't think so, but then I'm only going by the F1 website http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/3/13114.html

Karthikeyan, Ricciardo and Kovalainen are being investigated by the stewards for allegedly hindering Alonso, Schumacher and de la Rosa respectively.

The allegations on the F1 website are:
Karthikeyan hindered Alonso
Ricciardo hindered Schumacher
Kovaleinen hindered de la Rosa

The FIA on-event page is being its usual sluggish self in getting the Stewards' decisions typed up and published !

For whatever reason there's no way KAR should be let out the house never mind into the cockpit !

We've been wondering for the last 2 years how Vettel would do if he started off the front row and in traffic, well. We'll find out tomorrow :D

Got a little tiresome last year hearing people that should know better praising him as though he was the second coming, when it was so obvious he had a huge car advantage. Designing their car around a hot blown off throttle double diffuser that could be tweaked even further for qualifying, at least during the first half of the season, then see it banned for 2012 has somewhat pulled the rug out from under them. It's going to be great to see a more level playing field, especially if Ferrari can sort their problems out. :cheers:

It's going to be great to see a more level playing field, especially if Ferrari can sort their problems out. :cheers:
With Mclaren, Mercedes and Lotus potentially competitive, and if Kimi can be bothered to turn up and compete on a regular basis, perhaps it doesn't even matter if Ferrari don't sort themselves out; Red Bull might still only have the fourth fastest car. ;)
(gets coat...)

Karthikeyan, Ricciardo and Kovalainen are being investigated by the stewards for allegedly hindering Alonso, Schumacher and de la Rosa respectively.

The allegations on the F1 website are:
Karthikeyan hindered Alonso
Ricciardo hindered Schumacher
Kovaleinen hindered de la Rosa

The FIA on-event page is being its usual sluggish self in getting the Stewards' decisions typed up and published !

For whatever reason there's no way KAR should be let out the house never mind into the cockpit !
That must be by the time he cleared him he was on his in lap and maybe came up to him in a bad time

With Mclaren, Mercedes and Lotus potentially competitive, and if Kimi can be bothered to turn up and compete on a regular basis, perhaps it doesn't even matter if Ferrari don't sort themselves out; Red Bull might still only have the fourth fastest car. ;)
(gets coat...)

Actually, leave your coat where it is, just for now :)

Note to Teams
The Stewards received a request from HRT F1 Team to allow car 22 Pedro de la Rosa and car
23 Narain Karthikeyan to take part in the race under exceptional circumstances having failed to set a lap
time within 107% in Q1.
The Stewards having considered all relevant material decide to not allow both cars to take part in the
race in accordance with article 36.1 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Back
Top Bottom