Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

Great qualifying session, but we need to be cautious about reading too much into it. Pace over the long runs is going to be more important. With seven different cars in the top ten, and the gaps so close, I don't see a clear competitive order emerging just yet.

Outstanding lap from Grosjean - with Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel driving that car could have been on pole?! Good to see Williams, apparently, back in the upper midfield, though Sauber looked frankly faster than them until they got to Q2.

Hamilton's first flying lap in Q3 was mind-boggling.

Well what a qualifying session.
Lots of questions answered there.

McLaren have to be extremely pleased and that's one in the eye for those who criticised their design philosophy.

Mercedes have to be as pleased as they look to be just about on a par.

Red Bull are probably the most disappointed team; even more so than Ferrari and HRT.

Massa once again shows the huge gulf in skill between himself and Alonso.

Grosjean - incredible.
Raikkonen - oh dear.

La la la la I'm not listening to you....... fell asleep as soon as quali started............ ;)

But Sky go seems to work :D

australian_pitbabes01.jpg

They certainly have the talent. ;) Georgie Thompson seems to doing here job of "standing there and looking fit" well too. :p

Webber has stated he had a KERS problem.
Did Vettel also have a KERS problem?

If not then that makes Webber's time all the more impressive.

Apparently Kimi was a radio miscommunication. Thought he had enough time to get through for another run and passed the line too late. Bet he's happy about that. :thinking:

You could see that unfolding from the time he aborted his lap due to going wide.
He wasn't even at the final corner and there were only 5 seconds left in the session.

So we got webber with no KERS, leading to Brogans question of did Vettel have KERS? We got Kimi who probably should have been able to qualify well down in 18th. Alonso who we know can race, even if he has got a dog of a car down in 12th. Rosberg who I recon could have probably done better in qually (personal opinion).

HOW MUCH OVERTAKING IS THERE GONNA BE TOMORROW?!?!?!?!?!?! .... This is gonna be ace

the starting grid is "all messed up" from last year and with no set order of precedence (RBR, McL, Ferrari, Mercedes,.....) then you have to assume that any driver will fancy his chances against any other.
It has all the promise of a cup final, though (like many cup finals) it may yet fall flat on its arse.
But I severely doubt it will, not here, not tomorrow !

(Besides, with overtaking it's not the total number of overtakes that matters it's how sticky they are in terms of changing race positions - there's no point in 50 overtakes that get reversed a turn or a lap later, that way you get 100 overtakes that mean diddly-squat.)

Just got woken up by an earthquake here guys. Quite shallow, don't even know how close it was to New Plymouth but talkback radios pretty full on with reports. Probably nothing much I hope. Be back tomorrow if my house doesn't fall over. ROFL

Just got woken up by an earthquake here guys. Quite shallow, don't even know how close it was to New Plymouth but talkback radios pretty full on with reports. Probably nothing much I hope. Be back tomorrow if my house doesn't fall over. ROFL
All the best Kewee, & here's hoping for a safe night. It would be a shame if you missed the race through having been flattened.

Back
Top Bottom