Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

That's somewhat an exaggeration.
The worst driver on the grid, by a big margin, is quite clearly Narain Karthikeyan. Does he even deserve a superlicence?

"Cash is king", and unfortunately that's not just in business but also in F1.
Everything has its price.:(

That said KAR's time was "only" 1.43sec outside the 107% and 0.14 behind De La Rosa

This is looking way way ahead but just a little thought. If McLaren are dominant this season or at least are amongst the top 2 teams consistently and the FIA to indeed get rid of the stepped noses for next year then McLaren will be in a very strong position as everyone else will have to change their whole aerodynamic philosophy. Changes at the front effect the whole car.

Vettel found something with the EBD, a way to drive and utilise it with that RB package that Webber could not do. This was said to be a large reason for his dominance over his team mate and the whole field. Now the EBD has gone and the field has packed up, not only will Vettel probably step down from being a qualifying super-man but also it will probably be nip and tuck with Webber all season. I still think Vettel is very fast and he may well demolish Webber again but that is the feeling i have.

How about Maldonado in the Williams within a second of pole and the top 7, 0.764. Think Red Bull had gaps like that to the next closest car at some circuits last year. In for one hell of a season here I reckon.

I'm a little concerned about Paul di Resta's performance today. If he struggles against the "Incredible Hulk" in race conditions as well, he will almost certainly sink without trace from F1. :(

What I want to see from Lewis tomorrow is a recognition of his own pace that he doesn't have to push as hard as Jenson and can save tyres that way. Just pull a small gap and then ease off a little to save tyres. Gap Jenson, I hate to say it, like Vettel did last year.

Kimi made a mistake at turn 11....so he slowed down to put in a fast lap...........nobody told him he was running out of time.....so he didn't get in a fast lap to get thru to Q3.:oops:

This is looking way way ahead but just a little thought. If McLaren are dominant this season or at least are amongst the top 2 teams consistently and the FIA to indeed get rid of the stepped noses for next year then McLaren will be in a very strong position as everyone else will have to change their whole aerodynamic philosophy. Changes at the front effect the whole car.

Thats what I was thinking, if the smooth nose is faster than the stepped then surely the other teams will already be thinking about a new aero system for next season.

I'm a little concerned about Paul di Resta's performance today. If he struggles against the "Incredible Hulk" in race conditions as well, he will almost certainly sink without trace from F1. :(

I did say somewhere earlier that I see Hulk as the better driver, but that isn't a slighty on Paul. He'll push him all the way and is very much deserving of his place. The field the way it is though, I think it'll be Nico who steps up into a big team, rather than Paul. Too early to say though I must admit.

Kimi made a mistake at turn 11....so he slowed down to put in a fast lap...........nobody told him he was running out of time.....so he didn't get in a fast lap to get thru to Q3.:oops:

I was screaming at the TV for him to get a move on. I couldn't understand it. If I can calculate in my head the time it was going to take him to get across the line, minus the time counting down at the top of the screen, then surely the teams could know. I think every team needs to employ a "common sense man" who, when the teams gets bogged down with all their data and calculations, can step in and state the obvious.

Ferrari are very very silly in my opinion. Their 2011 car was good apart from the EBD. With that taken off they were the quickest car meaning their underlying car design was very good. Why not largely keep that design and refine it rather than changing almost every part of the car seemingly for the sake of it? I really believe had Ferrari kept with a similar underlying design concept from 2011 then they'd either be on pole or within the top 2 or 3 cars right now. Look at McLaren, their car does not appear to have anything fancy on it. Everyone criticised them at the launch for having a car that looked very similar to 2011, but their 2011 car had many good features and they're now the fastest team.

I've heard lots of rumours that in the May test Ferrari will be bringing practically a complete new car, which will even have push-rod suspension back at the front.

They probably weren't aware Kimi had made a mistake and had decided to back out of that lap. And I imagine Kimi is even less communicative over the radio than in real life. :|

Thats what I was thinking, if the smooth nose is faster than the stepped then surely the other teams will already be thinking about a new aero system for next season.

I do not think it's faster, but it's very difficult to make it as fast, which it obviously is. So if the FIA do re-clarify the rules for 2013 and ban stepped noses then with all the other regs staying very similar, McLaren will have a big advantage in this area.

Are we expecting HRT to not make an appearance tomorrow? Would undermine the rule if they allowed them to race, would it not? I could strap a Cosworth engine to my back and run round the circuit quicker than them.

Back
Top Bottom