Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

That would be a nightmare. And on that note, I need some sleep...

I'm bracing myself for drama. I think as much as I want Hamilton to win, I'd take a 1-2 with Lewis 2nd. So early in the season, Lewis can beat Jenson long term, but I expect Jenson and Lewis to be battling it out tomorrow. I'm just pleased that they are there. :D

I wonder whether the tyres suit Jenson even more this year or Lewis, as the commentators seem to suggest they have become a handful which suits those able to fight a car to the front.

Well at least there shouldn't be any incidents with Hamilton and Massa....... :whistle:

I'm more concerned of him getting in Kimi's way. You'd suspect he'll be coming through the grid at some rate tomorrow. They were talking about Ant's experiences with him in quali. Sounds like he is far from impressed with him also.

There are just so many good things to come out of this qualifying session. Without doubt this looks to be the most competitive season in years. Possibly that there has ever been dare I say? I don't just mean at the front, I mean right down the field. I can see different cars suiting different tracks and I think teams may be even closer on race pace as the DRS has a big factor in qualifying.

What's great is the likelihood now is that Rosberg and Schumacher should both end up winning this season. What a story that'd be.

we'll see when hamilton trys to lap massa.

It is in the past now. Massa is unlikely to get the chance to race Lewis again. He's going to be an easy scape-goat if Ferrari's season is really going to be that bad. Anyone see a return of Rubens to warm the seat for Kubica? You heard it here first. ;)

Delighted for Macca and for Lewis in particular, and really impressed with Grosjean, but I'd also like to give a mention to Pastor Maldonado in the Williams. I'm not sure what happened to Senna, who at one time also looked like a candidate for Q3, but the Venezuelan did a great job for his team (albeit helped a bit by the setbacks for both Ferraris and for Raikkonen). I hope Williams have an equally strong race and some points. I wonder if they could be in for a decent season?

Worse part of it is it wasn't even a surprise. Not only was he a second shy, but Alonso only did 1 lap. Massa is possibly the worse driver on the grid. He's not hard to overtake because of defensive skill, but because he's trying too hard to be faster than he is.

Plus he's awful in wet conditions. Like probably the worse driver I've seen in the wet.

Don't get me wrong he was great back in 2008 but there is something missing from how that can be the same driver to the guy now. Clearly he is not the same driver and I think because of his personality which became quite clear last year with the whole Hamilton feud, he's just getting slower and slower for trying too hard. I also think it shows the Ferrari was probably a bit faster than we think in 2008. Although saying this, the very odd time he has put a perfect lap together he has been faster than Alonso but he just cannot seem to do it more than once or twice in a season.

I'm bracing myself for drama. I think as much as I want Hamilton to win, I'd take a 1-2 with Lewis 2nd. So early in the season, Lewis can beat Jenson long term, but I expect Jenson and Lewis to be battling it out tomorrow. I'm just pleased that they are there. :D

I wonder whether the tyres suit Jenson even more this year or Lewis, as the commentators seem to suggest they have become a handful which suits those able to fight a car to the front.

well he seemed to be able to get his tyres upto temp quicker than button.
also i dont think lewis really struggled with last seasons tyres anyway,i mean he was doing great up until monaco.
i know these tyres are slightly different,maybe theyll be better for the likes of lewis and webber.
anyway i expect to see a much better lewis this season,but we'll see.jenson is normally very quick off the line.

An interesting quali, The Redbulls seem to be suffering without EBD. Last year Vettel blew Webber away in Quali yet - first quali without EBD and Webber just out qualifies him ! Even though Webber is not at the front I'm willing to bet he will allow himself a little smile when he gets back to his motor home.
Merc's look fast, watch out for the old red baron. As for Grosjean, fantastic drive, nice to see.

Who needs a stepped nose eh? ;)

Im just thinking the same thing. If it looks fast then it probably is.

A step might satisfy the regulations but it looks as aerodynamic as a block of flats. Im assuming this will be nothing that can be changed easily for those teams with the lego noses.

Plus he's awful in wet conditions. Like probably the worse driver I've seen in the wet.

Don't get me wrong he was great back in 2008 but there is something missing from how that can be the same driver to the guy now. Clearly he is not the same driver and I think because of his personality which became quite clear last year with the whole Hamilton feud, he's just getting slower and slower for trying too hard. I also think it shows the Ferrari was probably a bit faster than we think in 2008. Although saying this, the very odd time he has put a perfect lap together he has been faster than Alonso but he just cannot seem to do it more than once or twice in a season.

I think he always had a tendency to go spinning, but now he's not even quick either. Silverstone 2008 in the wet was embarrassing.

Anyone know the sector 1 & 2 times that were set in Lewis' final run?

EDIT: don't worry. He said it was slower cos he braked too late into turn 1.

Thank you McLaren for making my Sky investment seem worthwhile! I'm confident of a good season!

Thank you McLaren for making my watching the live Sky coverage online without having Sky or paying a penny seem particularly cost-effective ;-)

And with no RBR in the front two rows and Mercedes showing particularly well, and Grosjean and Maldonado performing so far above their previous form they'll get nosebleeds, it is shaping up for what could be a truly great season, so far at least.

We still have to see if Boullier does lodge a protest about the Merc DRS set-up, but even so, ...

That's somewhat an exaggeration.
The worst driver on the grid, by a big margin, is quite clearly Narain Karthikeyan. Does he even deserve a superlicence?

He won't be on the grid. ;) Still, baring the pay drivers, some of which are doing very well, who is worse than him?

Thank you McLaren for making my watching the live Sky coverage online without having Sky or paying a penny seem particularly cost-effective ;)
/quote]
Please can we avoid talking about streams, the site could get into trouble otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom