Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

So Mercedes have a cheat 'within the letter of the law' rear wing?
then McLaren must have cheat 'within the letter of the law' front and rear wings !!
and Grosjean must be drug tested immediately ROFL

And the last time Ferrari came up with any decent innovations worth stealing ..... somebody stole them. :givemestrength:

i think lewis can look after his tyres,he just needs to get off to a good start,it will be tough though with button behind him.
but hamiltons last win of last season was very controlled,he didnt make any mistakes.and hamiltons quickest lap was very smooth,no locking up.
but hey we'll see what happens tomorrow.

some ppl are already saying this mclaren is more dominant than rb last year,so lewis has to do better than vettel to prove he's better.
i think thats complete nonsense.

Lots of great storylines. Cant wait for tomorrow

edit -

some ppl are already saying this mclaren is more dominant than rb last year,so lewis has to do better than vettel to prove he's better.
i think thats complete nonsense.

Nobody here said it did they? And there's a lot of time to sort that out. Lets wait a bit.

Get in!! Hope Lewis can take the victory tomorrow! If the performance levels stay like this for the race (and the season) then we'll see the real Vettel - can he bully a car to the top like Hamilton and Alonso can?

Best Performances: Hamilton, Grosjean, Schumacher, Maldonado, Hulkenberg

Worst Performances: Karthikeyan, Raikkonen, Massa, Alonso

Yesssssssss!!! I am so happy, not just with Lewis and Mclaren getting pole - but the whole grid seems to have a reset and qualifying is thrilling again. Also, we finally get to see Vettel without the fastest car again. I think those holding him up as the messiah are in for a shock this year. There is no messiah in F1. We have several unbelievably fast drivers in F1 at the moment and they are all capable of moments of genius (Lewis today) and mistakes (Alonso, Raikkonen in Quali, Vettel and Schumacher in practice).

I think the person who most has to be concerned on the back of today is Massa. For 2 years now he's looked like a slow driver in a fast car, now he's a slow driver in a slow car. Hope he doesn't get in anyone's way.

We've been wondering for the last 2 years how Vettel would do if he started off the front row and in traffic, well. We'll find out tomorrow :D

I think McLaren's advantage looks slightly bigger than it is. This is because it is very likely Rosberg could have out-qualified Schumacher and probably got within 2-3 tenths of pole. Also, Webber did not have KERS so lets say they get 4 tenths from that then he'd be 3 tenths away. It sounds like Vettel had KERS but made a mistake.

Saying all of this Hamilton didn't improve on his 2nd lap and im sure he was up on that time but made a mistake so he could have gone faster. From watching the on-board it certainly looked like he was a little conservative on a few corners so im sure he could have found another tenth or two.

I think Red Bull may have gone the wrong way with this new B spec car. They haven't looked dominant since then and have had very little time to test it. Maybe they just didn't set it up right but both drivers went off several times during qualifying and it looked all over the place. That surely cannot be good for looking after the tyres in the race.

McLaren will be happy that Grosjean splits them from the Mercedes and Bulls. I imagine both will have faster race pace but Grosjean will likely hold them up and remember the Lotus seems very good with tyre wear. I know it may sound crazy but if there is bad tyre degredation tomorrow then I'd actually say Grosjean is an outside bet to win. Remember he did that 20+ lap run in testing with very little degredation. He could even gamble with a 1 stopper, although likely he will 2 stop and others may well 3 stop so that could be interesting.

I think although the Ferrari looks awful to drive, Alonso may have even pipped the Red Bull's if he'd have not gone off. Before he crashed he was putting in a similar time to both of them in Q2. But surely Ferrari must be very concerned.

I expect fire works between the McLaren drivers. I just hope they don't crash because I think they could have a VERY close race and if the team lets one down with tactics or pitstops then especially for Lewis we may see some emotion. I reckon Lewis will build up a gap but then Button will keep his tyres better, so it depends how much of a gap Lewis has. Ultimately, if he can look after his tyres he should win.

I think the person who most has to be concerned on the back of today is Massa. For 2 years now he's looked like a slow driver in a fast car, now he's a slow driver in a slow car. Hope he doesn't get in anyone's way.

I have to say I think Ferrari need to get rid of him and I mean right now. I cannot see them sticking with him for more than a few races if he keeps on being nearly a second behind Alonso. That's just a ridiculous amount of time.

Great result for McLaren but I wouldn't even guess at the outcome of a 20 race season. We'll have a little more idea of whose likely to be strong as the year progresses after Spain, when the upgrades start to arrive. Shame about Alonso. The Ferrari seemed quite quick till he binned it and he would certainly bettered the time he had set. I think most of the top drivers had off track excursions, just a pity Fernando's timing put him out of qualifying.

I have to say I think Ferrari need to get rid of him and I mean right now. I cannot see them sticking with him for more than a few races if he keeps on being nearly a second behind Alonso. That's just a ridiculous amount of time.

Worse part of it is it wasn't even a surprise. Not only was he a second shy, but Alonso only did 1 lap. Massa is possibly the worse driver on the grid. He's not hard to overtake because of defensive skill, but because he's trying too hard to be faster than he is.

Back
Top Bottom