2011 Silly Season

What a mess. This saga alone is reason enough for the thread title.... :sick:

I can't begin to imagine how Chapman would feel seeing his beloved brand being thrown around like this. Screw Proton, there is no such thing as Lotus anymore :disappointed:

[this opinion and any suggestions expressed within are subject to change without prior notice]

Attachments

• arton3769-a3d4c.jpg
    arton3769-a3d4c.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 227
tooncheese said:
I must say that the car looks great :)

It is hard to hate what Group Lotus are doing when the car looks that good. But it doesn't matter how they dress it up it will still be a Renault.*

*As long as they want to keep getting the historic payments for the Renault name!

This saga gets more confusing and more annoying by the hour. I think it's worth a thread in it's own right (which I will do tomorrow once I've calmed down a bit).

As far as I can see though, Renault have sold their entire stake in the team to Gengi Capital and so have no stake in it at all. Group Lotus have then purchased a stake of the team from Gengi Capital and are title sponsors. So I presume that the enterent will be Gengi Capital using the Renault name. So in theory it should be Lotus (title sponsor) Renault (Team name) Renault (engine supplier) - Lotus Renault - Renault.

:givemestrength:

cider_and_toast said:
This saga gets more confusing and more annoying by the hour. I think it's worth a thread in it's own right (which I will do tomorrow once I've calmed down a bit).

Indeed, where is the 'to the back teeth' smiley :rolleyes:

Not that you want nor need me to tell you, but there is quite a lot of opinion in the Lotus Renault thread and if you go back to page 5 in this thread there is some more... might provide some inspiration for a new thread of :dizzy:

Speshal said:
I await you article with interest because all this, group this, team that rather twists my poor old noggin, I've read the http://www.saveteamlotus.com site but am still as confused as a transgender badger.

Lots of trouble usually serious.

It's all because of the payments a team will receive for been a constructor for a lengthy period of time. As big as the Lotus name is I don't think there would be such a kerfuffle over the use of the name if FOM* didn't hand out out these payments.

I'm not sure exactly how it works but I know Ferrari recieve the most money as they have been in it since year 1. McLaren and Williams will also both receive hefty brown envelopes due to their history.

Mercedes will also get some money for their past history even though this is a totally new team to the original one.

As last years Lotus is a continuation of the previous team even though its under new ownership they also have been receiving the historic payments.

Renault may just be an engine supplier but if the name of the constructor is changed to Lotus Gengi they wouldn't receive the payments for Renaults historic achievments.

Hopefully I haven't muddled the waters further. The article will be interesting, I thought about doing one myself but it's best been left to the resident Lotus expert! :goodday:

*I think it is FOM who hand out the payments, please correct me if I'm wrong

Forgive my ignorance of history (all of it)

But as far as I can tell this all stems from the fact that there was a Lotus division concerned with making road cars so that the other division could go racing? Like Ferrari and Scuderia Ferrari?

Fernandes acquired the rights for the racing team and now the road car branch (proton?) want to get into F1 using the Lotus name and using a Renault chassis and motor?

Is that the gist?

*edit - scratch that I'll just go and read the proper thread LOL

So if I understand it right, the 2 teams need to shoe horn in 'Renault' and 'Lotus' somewhere in their Team Name so they can pick up History payments, do Renault get double payments?

So Renault have become 'Lotus Renault GP' and Lotus Racing have become 'Team Lotus'.

Just we could have some very silly names in the future searching for any revenue streams.....Simtek Lola Jordan Cooper Super Aguri Team

ATL11 said:
Just we could have some very silly names in the future searching for any revenue streams.....Simtek Lola Jordan Cooper Super Aguri Team

I believe Tyrell were once Braun Tyrell Honda, forshadowing two of its own future iterations.

The 21st century's Andrea de Cesaris, Vitaly Petrov, will give a press conference next week where it's expected he will announce he will stay with Renault for 2011. Ah well...

In this article Gerard Lopez says: "Our expectation is that he can do what he did in Hungary or Abu Dhabi more consistently". One swallow does not a summer make Mr Lopez.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88722

FB said:
The 21st century's Andrea de Cesaris, Vitaly Petrov, will give a press conference next week where it's expected he will announce he will stay with Renault for 2011. Ah well...

The Renault #2 car has had a de Cesaris feel to it for a while, hasn't it...

Fisichella, Piquet, Grosjean, Petrov...

Back
Top Bottom