Grand Prix 2011 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter FB
  • Start date Start date
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Thought this might be useful if you wanted to sing along to the Canadian National Anthem before the start of the race.

Anyway, on to the Grand Prix, after all that’s what we’re here for. Last year Bridgestone provided tyres, which didn’t like the surface at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve too much, and the powers that be in F1 thought “ah, ha here’s an idea to spice up the racing. Why don’t we ask those blokes at Pirelli if they can make sets of boots for F1 cars that fall apart on the warm up lap”, and they did.

In 2010 Hamilton put his car on pole (you may recall him pushing his car back to the pits, so light was it on fuel) and then went on to win an exciting race with teammate Jenson Button standing on the 2nd step.

So what for Canada 2011? Red Bull, at least car No.1, has been a tad difficult to beat but McLaren and Ferrari are getting closer during the race. With 5 wins out of 6 races Vettel has a healthy lead in the Championship and some bookmakers are already paying out on the title being his. Vettel was 3rd on the grid last year, behind teammate Webber, and finished 4th with unspecified gearbox problems, still ahead of Webber who had led for many laps but got caught out by the high tyre wear rate.

Fernando Alonso was 3rd last time out in Canada after getting mugged by a hard charging Jenson Button. Mercedes had a mixed race, Rosberg was “best of the rest” behind the McLaren’s, Alonso’s Ferrari and the Red Bull’s whilst Michael Schumacher treated the race like a destruction derby, straight lining chicanes and bouncing off other cars with gay abandon. What of Felipe Massa I hear you ask; well, he was one of Schumacher’s victims and lost time pitting for a new nose cone.

This is very nearly the last Hurrah for the exhaust blown diffuser and we have two, yes 2, DRS zones. So expect cars breezing past another before and after the pits, when they’re not in their getting new tyres of course.

Will it be another Red Bull walk over or can the McLaren’s and Ferrari’s tame the charging Bull? How will the Pirelli tyres hold up dusty and bumpy Ille Notre-Dame Circuit? Will it rain? Who will win? Can one of the minor teams struggle up into the points? I don’t know but I get the feeling there will be lots of speculation.

And we have our own track side reporter this year - take a bow Ray in Toronto and make sure you post some good photos

For Galahad’s excellent circuit write up, track history and all the stats a boy or girl could want click here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-gilles-villeneuve/

Looks like its going to be an intriguing start nonethless, cannot wait now. Has long has vettle is outside the top 3 ill be pretty happy, The season could do with a battle for the WDC.

Lee McKenzie just reported on twitter that:-
Rain falling harder now at the circuit. EJ still not shifting from his dry set up ie: white jeans! #BBCF1

You can tell it's raining on that live cam as well because people walking by with Umbrellas!

How gutted would McLaren fans be if after all this hope of rain, JB and LH crash out on first lap lol.

Lee McKenzie just reported on twitter that:-
Rain falling harder now at the circuit. EJ still not shifting from his dry set up ie: white jeans! #BBCF1

hopefully like with anybody with a 'dry set up' in the rain it will mean he dissapears off the screen and have a quiet race.

I dunno if its me but personally ive found him trying my patients a little this season.

I like the F1 coverage. It beats anything else in sport currently. I think the problem is we've got use to it now so it feels like it isn't that special anymore.

Are you hoping for a Korea kind of result....the rain doesn't help anyone...let alone McLaren, probably the fastest of the front runners.

I don't want it to rain necessarily just to help Mclaren, but you have to admit that rain is the last thing the front runners want because it creates unpredictability, which is great for people like Jenson where he doesn't have a lot to lose, terrifying for Vettel on pole. Also, i just love watching Lewis in the rain. It is when he shines.

I'm excited about the race. I agree that having a later start you have a build up during the day :) And thanks for the replies about the long 7th gea, makes sense now :)

Weather from Montreal, 50% chance of rain @ the start increasing to 60% within an hour of the race start.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/hourByHour-Montreal-CAXX0301

RainDAnceBigJPEG.jpg

It would be a really bad setup if they went for a wet race with a wet setup and they were still slow

That is the only problem with Rain, there is always problems starting the race........Korea was infuriating.

Agreed. I think it is ridiculous that the best driver in the world can't start a race with water on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom