2010 - Summary

FB said:
Heidfeld to McLaren (apparently at Mercedes behest)

I rate Heidfeld very highly and think he'd be an excellent teammate for Lewis - probably more of a '2nd driver' but an excellent one nonetheless. Would still prefer to see some fireworks with Kimi back there though.

rufus_mcdufus said:
I rate Heidfeld very highly and think he'd be an excellent teammate for Lewis - probably more of a '2nd driver' but an excellent one nonetheless. Would still prefer to see some fireworks with Kimi back there though.

If Heidfeld does go to Mclaren, it rather leaves Kimi twiddling his thumbs and with nothing to do other than spend the large pay-off he received from Ferrari for ending his contract early.

I still think a strong team has a first driver who can consistently win and a good second driver who can rack up points and win the odd race where the first driver has to retire. It's a system that clearly worked well for Ferrari in the Rubens/Shuey era, although I don't agree with driver no.2 being asked to move over for driver no.1 when he is in that position on merit. I don't think Lewis and Kimi in the same team would give that environment, but then I don't think Alonso and Massa will either. Massa was happy to play second fiddle to Schuey, but once he retired Massa stepped up a level to become a good race winner.

FB said: Heidfeld to McLaren (apparently at Mercedes behest)

rufus_mcdufus said : I rate Heidfeld very highly and think he'd be an excellent teammate for Lewis - probably more of a '2nd driver' but an excellent one nonetheless. Would still prefer to see some fireworks with Kimi back there though.

Looks like its just a rumour from a german newspaper, and nothings confirmed. So there's still hope that Kimi might end up back at Mclaren.

I don't think McLaren will care that much if Kimi racks up more points than Lewis, what they want at the end of a grand prix is a McLaren one two.

It might be worth McLaren having a quick word with Kobayashi.

fat_jez said:
I still think a strong team has a first driver who can consistently win and a good second driver who can rack up points and win the odd race where the first driver has to retire.

I get the feeling Hamilton/Heidfeld would fit that bill perfectly. If you want to see the merits of that driver combination, may I recommend a video of the 2008 British GP. Two of the best performances you'll ever see.

It's even worse with Kimi.
The difference between driving and not driving is an extra £2 million so he's prepared to sit out for a year for what is to him a small amount of money.

That will just reinforce the opinion of a lot of people that he's not really interested in F1 and is only after money.

Torro Rosso look to be sticking with what they got:

Team boss Franz Tost let the cat out of the bag when we spoke on Friday, albeit in the context of a slightly negative remark about his drivers.

The gist of it was that Toro Rosso has essentially had a good season and had scored some points, but there had been too many mistakes from the young drivers. When they both come back next year, Tost explained, Buemi and Alguersuari will be expected to deliver, drive fast and not crash.

From Lenny Kravitz BBC blog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/11/ted-kravitz-the-abu-dhabi-gran.html

Interesting comments about Brawn not developing their car from Turkey onwards as well.

According to BBC sport Lotus have confirmed they have signed their first driver though they will not reveal the name just yet. Not sure why they would do that but I guess they want to have an official team launch and present both drivers together.

Speculation continues that it may be Jarno Trulli however Trulli has been invited to test a NASCAR so who knows.

This seems to be the stragnest silly season for some time.

I reckon with the latest news that Kimi is not driving this season, the chances of NOT seeing Button in a Mclaren are about nil. Vodafone obviously love the idea of having two British WDC's for PR work and will (I imagine) continue to push quite hard for this to happen. Which I suspect leaves us looking at Rosberg and Heidfeld at Mercedes next year.

I'm amazed that it's the middle of November and we still don't know who's driving for the existing teams, never mind the new ones.

Has it ever been like this before in recent times?

A bit of updating required on the table FB :D

Lewis and Jenson confirmed at McLaren.
Brawn is now Mercedes.
Nico R confirmed at Mercedes.

Back
Top Bottom