2010 Driver Lineup

I dunno, I reckon Renault is a pretty good drive. Granted in the short term their credibility has been hit but they are a settled team of good engineers with solid financial backing from the manufacturer and good facilities. I would say that after the top 4 cars (McLaren, Ferrari, Brawn and Red Bull) they would be the next best drive. Would you take an unpredictable Toyota, a Williams or one of the new teams over a Renault?

Add to that, if there is a perception they are struggling to get a driver, you could try your luck and push for a little more money LOL .

It looks like the "secret" is out

All the reports state that Alonso has signed a 5 year deal with Ferrari.
Most likely Kimi is moving back to McLaren and Kubica to Renault.

Heikki must wondering where he's going to end up next year.

[bg=#FFFFFF]B|B|C[/bg] Ferrari set to reveal Alonso move

No wonder Ferrari had problems with data being leaked if this is their best at keeping information under wraps LOL

:o I don't believe it. No way. That's the last time I listen to the bloke in the pub who told me to stick all my savings on it still being Kimi and Felipe next year.

:D

From Andrew Benson's blog on the BBC website:

Fernando Alonso's move to Ferrari, which was finally announced on Wednesday, is the most exciting shift in the Formula 1 fabric for years.

Really? I suppose the BBC have to report something but I'm not really with Benson on this one. If the 2010 Ferrari turns out to be as much of a pup as the 2009 variety (at least at the beginning of the season) FA will be having a very frustrating time of it; even with his fabled 6/10ths.

As this season has shown the Grandee teams can have their bubble pricked. Mclaren have 2 wins and Ferrari 1, would FA have been better going to Brawn or Red Bull for a smaller pay cheque?

I guess he means in terms of potential.
One of the best drivers on the grid in potentially one of the best cars, assuming they can resolve all their problems and get back to the front.

What would be highly amusing now is if McLaren signed Schumacher (M, not R :punish: ) alongside Hamilton :D

Press Release

Maranello, 30th September 2009 - Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro announces that it has reached an agreement with the driver Fernando Alonso. The agreement covers three racing seasons, starting in 2010.

The Scuderia’s driver line-up next season will therefore be made up of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso, with Giancarlo Fisichella in the role of reserve driver.

Kimi Raikkonen will leave the team at the end of this current season, after what has been a rewarding and fruitful partnership, which saw him win the Drivers’ title in 2007. He also played a key role in Ferrari’s taking of the Constructor’s title that same year and in 2008.

“We are very proud to welcome to our team another winning driver, who has demonstrated his amazing talent by winning two World Championships in his career to date,” said Stefano Domenicali. “Of course, we wish to thank Kimi for everything he has done during his time with Ferrari: in his first year with us, he managed to win the Drivers’ title, thus making his contribution to Ferrari’s history and he played a vital role in our taking of the Constructors’ title in 2007 and 2008. Even during a difficult season like this one, he has demonstrated his great talent, with several good results, including a great win in Spa and we are sure that we can share more good times together in the final three races of this season.”

“With common consent, we have agreed to terminate the contract binding me to Ferrari to the end of 2010, one year ahead of schedule,” said Kimi Raikkonen. “I am very sad to be leaving a team with which I have spent three fantastic years, during which time I won plenty of races. Together, we have won 50% of the world titles in that period and I managed to take the Drivers’ title in 2007, thus achieving the target I had set myself at the start of my career. I have always felt at home with everyone here and I will have many happy memories of my time with the team.”

As I posted yesterday, the "what if Kimi doesn't go to McLaren" issue has surfaced.

"For the moment, I haven't decided what I want to do next, whether I want to continue racing or not. I had a contract for next year, but now I don't, so that changes things. So maybe I race, maybe I do not."

He said switching to the World Rally Championship was a possibility.

"Yes, there's a chance to do that, but there's as much of a chance that I continue in Formula 1. I will decide before the start of next year for sure! If I do decide to stay in Formula 1, I wouldn't go to any of the small teams, where I would not have the chance to fight for the championship.

"If I race next year, that would be my goal, otherwise there is no reason to be in Formula 1. I achieved what I wanted, but if I race, then of course, I want to win more races and championship titles."
So Kimi himself is now perpetuating the quit rumours.

If not Kimi then who would be a good choice for McLaren?

[bg=#E3001A]Autosport[/bg] Raikkonen says he might leave F1

Now that the drivers seat musical chairs game has begun with Alonso parking himself on the Ferrari seat when the music stopped Kimi needs to be careful that he isn't the lonely spotty kid stood in the corner at the end of the game without anywhere to go.

I understand why he wouldn't want to compete for one of the new or smaller teams and his only realistic chance of a potential winning seat is at Mclaren so it's weather or not he wants to go back.

I think a lot of people are quite excited of the thought of a Hamilton/Kimi partnership at Mclaren but from Kimi's statement it would seem that he is not really bothered any more. The fact that he has won the WDC seems to be enough for him.

cider_and_toast said:
Kimi needs to be careful that he isn't the lonely spotty kid stood in the corner at the end of the game without anywhere to go.
It's going to be a bit cramped in that corner with Heikki there already LOL

Going back in the annuls of time Clay Regazzoni left the super competitive Williams team to drive for Mo Nunn's Ensign outfit. The arrival of Regazzoni bought with it a big new title sponsor which allowed Ensign to build a car which, up until Regga's awful crash at Long Beach, was looking quite quick.

Imagine if Kimi were to decide to go to Campos or Proton Lotus, it would give the team a real commercial advantage and a driver who would bring a level of experience they couldn't imagine when it comes to developing a car. As Kimi is getting his pay off from Ferrari wouldn't it be great if he decided to help out one of the minnows for a nominal driving fee?

Not gonna happen though is it!

nando has spoken!

Fernando Alonso has said he already feels under pressure to deliver Ferrari a World Championship.

Speaking at Suzuka, venue for this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, the Spaniard said that success will be expected from the partnership between a double world champion and Formula One's most successful team.

"There will be a pressure to win titles," said Alonso. "At Ferrari it is not enough to win one race per year or anything like that. The pressure will be there to be champion again. In the next three years hopefully I can win one at least."

The 28-year-old predicted that Ferrari will be the last team he drives for in F1.

"Leaving Ferrari to change team is always a step backwards. It has to be a step backwards because Ferrari is more than a team and I want to finish my career with them," he said.

Alonso also anticipates a strong working relationship with new team-mate Felipe Massa.

The Brazilian, who is currently recovering from injuries sustained in an accident in July's Hungarian Grand Prix, has raced for Ferrari since 2006 and enjoyed links with them throughout his F1 career.

"It will work," Alonso said. "Felipe we know is a great driver, a quick driver but also a good personality. He will be absolutely fine."

Alonso joins Ferrari from Renault, where his status was unrivalled due to the World titles he won for the team in 2005 and 2006.

However, he had an ill-starred tenure at McLaren in 2007 where he felt he should have been given preference over then rookie Lewis Hamilton.

Of that experience, Alonso said: "It will not happen again. This is a very different history. I am also more prepared than I was two years ago. It will be fine.

"Ferrari is more important than any driver in the car. It doesn't matter if you are quicker or slower than your team-mate - the Ferrari people want to see a red car in front of the other cars, it doesn't matter which driver is driving."

not sure which thread to put this in bro. but in view of some recent remarks, these now make sense

"Although Flavio Briatore is no longer his manager, Fernando Alonso says the Italian played a role in his decision to move to Ferrari.

Following the confirmation of his Ferrari deal on Wednesday, Alonso hinted that Briatore's departure from Renault was behind his premature move to the Italian marque.

"We already had an agreement this summer starting in 2011, but then, [in] the last days, the picture changed and we decided to anticipate my arrival in Maranello by one year," said Alonso.

A day later and the Spaniard has dropped even bigger hint that Briatore's dismissal from Renault is the reason why he's leaving the Anglo/French outfit.

Asked in Japan if he had spoken with his former manager and team boss, Alonso said: "Yes, of course, I was in touch with Flavio two months ago when we were talking about 2011 at that time and now in the last few days when everything was sorted for 2010.

"I spoke with Flavio and he was very happy for me because he knows what Ferrari means and he is extremely happy for my career now."

While on the topic of Briatore, who recently stated that he would have the last laugh in the race-fixing scandal, Alonso was asked whether 'revenge' was on the Italian's mind.

He said: "I spoke to him by telephone, but he doesn't seem to worry at the moment. Yesterday he was relaxing at the beach, so he doesn't seem that hungry at the moment..."

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5597868,00.html

Jonathan Noble of Autosport has just posted this on Twitter:

Have heard a rumour there may be a shock in the #f1 driver market. Will dig some more in the morning. Too early to say if it is a bum streer

Back
Top Bottom