• Kamui Kobayashi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Glock

• Lucas di Grassi

• Total voters
Brogan said:
Alonso on the other hand only has himself to blame.
You can argue whether the penalty was right or wrong but all he had to do was give the place back.
He would have been past Robert easily enough within the next lap or so.

This ^^^ That and him having a wee bit of a sulk inside his helmet for most of the race LOL

I've gone against the grain, voting for de la Rosa, with a special mention to Liuzzi as well.

Pedro's dive across the pit straight to try and block Sutil was a disgrace. He not only ruined his race, but that of several others, as it allowed Vettel right back in.

Vettel was over 80 seconds behind his teammate and was well on his way to getting lapped until de la Rosa brought out the SC with his wild chop.

Ultimately, Sutil, Schumacher, and Hulkenberg lost points because Seb was put right on their tail with the Safety Car deployment.

Liuzzi's block in Quali was almost as bad, and I'm starting to wonder when di Resta will get a chance to race the Force India.

I've gone for my "default position" of Jenson Button until I've thought about this a bit more :D

For me it has to be Alonso. Where did it all go wrong ???? This should have been and could have been a podium place however he managed to chuck that away.

If he had just given the place back to Kubica at the first opportunity it would have been the end of it but no.... The incredible sulk goes into overdrive again.

Sorry Fernando but your not going to get back to winning ways until you concentrate on the driver and less on the moaning.

Since Vettel has been defended, I'm going to do my best as a defence lawyer for Alonso (and a prosecution to Vettel.)

Alonso started in third place and got off the line poorly. However, unlike Vettel he didn't play silly beggars and compromise his own race by doing so.

It has been mentioned that Vettel was "still P2" at the first corner. And in a car that was a second faster than Hamilton in 4th (with Alonso not getting off the line well as mentioned), that was actually the minimum acceptable position. That he was in a position to allow Hamilton to get involved with his rear tyres is unforgivable considering that Red Bull could have made it a private battle if they'd both got out of Turn 1 in the lead, and Webber wasn't the one swerving off the line.

As for the Kubica incident, I believe that Alonso should have given up the place, but in most cases Alonso would have been (at worst) 5th behind Kubica and with a good chance of getting by. This did not happen because two things happened
  • Kubica retired and
  • The Safety Car was deployed.

This means that an incident that should have left Alonso in 5th position left Alonso in 16th. The same Safety Car period moved Vettel who should have been 17th and way back up to the back of the field. I'm saying Alonso was unlucky not to score a podium, and Vettel was lucky not to be lapped (and give Mark Webber the greatest moment of his life!)

In my opinion too, Alonso's move on Kubica was significantly less illegal as Vettel's Xbox Low Damage Assault on Adrian Sutil, which was lucky not to end up in the wall at the end of the day.

So for that reason, I believe that Fernando Alonso, whilst not deserving of our sympathy, is less of a chump than the man who looks more like the new Schumacher with every poor performance by the Mercedes man.

As Gollum would say, "This is chump is tricksy, it is..."

"What spins when wet, spins when dry, spins when leaving Le Field. Destroyer of races, seeker of gaps that will disappear. Bane of fellow prancing horses."

The answer to Gollum's riddle and the choice of my Chump of Silverstone, is Massa.

(To put it simply, I agree with what Enja wrote! :D )

Alonso for me, was not only chump of the weekend but also the best entertainment of the whole race. He was visibly enraged by the end of the race and that's not easy to achieve with a crash helmet on.

Terrible start, bad move on his team mate and a whole range of general ass-hattery.

Was I the only one finding in quite amusing come the end?

So who was the Chump of the Weekend at Silverstone?
Well, my first choice was going to be Red Bull for treating Webbo at times like he was nothing more than day-old fish..........but since Red Bull ain't on the above list, I voted for Sebby V. :censored: :o

I would have voted for Christian Horner, but he wasn't on the list, instead, it has to be Loony for all the entertainment he provided..

Morning All,

Been lurking for a while so thought it was time to poke my head above the parapet....

For me the CotW has to be Alonso. He (possibly) had the fastest car out there in race trim and proceeded to drive into his teammate.

Further he is so wrapped up in righteous indignation that he failed to analyse his mistake on Kubica correctly and do the right thing. The result a drive through. Which was a bit harsh but its not the stewards fault the SC came out. Then he publicly told the world how fed up he was with his lot.

Also. I cant agree with the condemnation of Vettel for his race. I suspect he is getting some negative vibes for being the bad guy in the Red Bull vs. MWebber saga. Its not his fault he is Mateschitz's favourite and if you asked MWebber if he would rather be in Vettel's shoes he would bite your hand off. The guy had a bad start, which happens, he fought for his line round T1 and was unfortunate to be tagged by Lewiton's front wing. From then on he drove a stormer. The criticism of his pass on Sutil I cannot believe on this forum. We want more overtaking, not less. Its a motor race, not a :censored: tea-party. You leave the door open I'm coming through. Great stuff, I thought.

Cheers Ears

At last!
Someone else who Has stuck up for Vettel - I'm no longer the only one :D

Welcome to the site Feckless :thumbsup:

Yes Feckless, we want more overtaking, but there is overtaking, then there is the Bumper cars that Vettel seemed to engage in with Sutil, this is not overtaking, this is petulance from the young German (and a very dangerous precedence to be setting), especially after earlier comments (read the espn link I posted yesterday).

Karma is as Karma does..

So I've thought about it. I can't go with Vettel as to get a puncture at the first corner is hardly chumpishness. His overtaking at the end of the race was agressive but not really excessive, I remember when wheel banging overtaking was the norm and no one batted and eyelid. Maybe he should have got a better start and not been in that position but then again Alonso should have too.

Fernando did have a bit of a 'mare but, again, not sure if he is Chump of the Weekend. I can understand why he stayed out, in the hope of getting (from his perspective at least) a Hamilton type advantage before getting a drive through. Unfortunately the safety car intervened. Once again he showed he is petulant and it is affecting his racing but he's not really a chump.

As much as Button's qualie performance was pretty chumpy I can't fault what he did in the race so not fair that I leave my vote with him so now I'm not sure who to go for... De La Rosa maybe but I didn't see the incident that knackered his rear wing. If anyone can direct me towards a video of the incident I would be grateful.

I know what you mean RickD.....But.

The way I see it (I have been back over the BBC footage. Its at 2:17:00 if you are a UK iPlayer user) Vettel got better drive out of Abbey, was alongside down Farm, went the long way round Bridge and naturally was up the inside at Priory.

Sure, there wasn't alot of room but Sutil definitely left a gap. Especially considering at every other corner for the last 8 laps he'd been tight to inside line to baulk Vettel. (Quite correctly too.)

Anyway I concede that it was touch-and-go. (Literally I suppose for Vettel.) But it certainly wasn't petulant.

To wander of subject a bit...It goes without saying that racing must be safe but, I love it when it's wheel to wheel, no-holds barred, desire to get that place. To often I think the commentators and the race excitement start to wind down because the podium is all sorted when guys down the field are driving the wheels of something that cost 1/10th what a VMM / Ferrari / RBR cost. Sutil has a car that is a bullet down the straight and wont stick in the corners. Vettel has a car with Scalectrix grip. The duel was everything F1 should be about.

Well I've made a decision and gone for the Red Baron. In a car which his team mate showed was at least a top 6 machine he trailed round in 9th which would have been out of the points had some of the other drivers finished. His race with one of the Toro Rosso's was poor and the way he let Vettel past was not the Schumie of old. In fact poor MS may well get my Chump of the Season vote should we have a poll after Dubai - no one is afraid of you anymore Michael, give it up mate.

Can't argue with that Feckless :thumbsup:

Considering the force of the bump, I was surprised both cars escaped apparently unharmed.
It was more like a last-lap BTCC lunge than an F1 pass :D

Back
Top Bottom