Who might replace Massa and where might he go?

gethinceri That's my thought too, but the issue doesn't seem to have been formally laid to rest yet, although the absence of any positive update is a story in itself.

My gut feeling is that Massa will be made to sweat until the week before pre-season testing then Ferrari will hit him with a come and join us again for 2013. But i'd LOL if he decided you no what f off i'm going to join a team where i'll get respect.

I got a call this afternoon from an Italian sounding chap, he asked if I had any plans for next year...

Seriously though, options for Massa post Ferrari are limited. He does not come with a sponsor's payment, so he would be unlikely to get into the lower grid teams, and the mid grid teams seem to have significant young talent pools to call on as and when needed. My guess would be Massas best bet would be a straight swap with Perez, but I think he will be out of a job following his spell at Ferrari. As for a replacement, I think everyone but max mosely have been named as a potential replacement, but I think Perez or would-be the likely candidate long term, but not sure about 2013, so I would suggest Massa may have another year in him.

It is a shame for Massa, he has never recovered from that injury or Hockenheim and probably never will. The last time a chubby South American left F1 he ended up in NASCAR.

As for potential replacements, Perez has to be top of the list and I would not be surprised to see him in all red next year.

But the strange thing about Perez is that Ferrari never denied that they hadn't spoken to Webber and we do know that they had talks but they have come out and said that they don't see Perez as being in the car next season. Very strange given the performances he has been putting in this year and his already established links to the team.

The trouble is, with most of the top drivers seemingly staying put this year, there isn't much opportunity to move on up. That, and the knowledge that the seat at Ferrari is without doubt a "number 2" berth which is also putting off potential drivers.

Massa's option for 2013 has expired for Ferrari to retain his services so they are looking at other options

The latest rumour is Ferrari considering taken Kimi Raikkonen but Kimi has vowed not to work for Luca again and the problem was he was expected to show the Schumacher approach of hard graft and workman like as well as keep the bosses happy and show his face now and then at Maranello

Remember how quick Ferrari were to praise Alonso's commitment when he replaced Kimi and saying it was better

Problem is Kimi does not look serious enough when things are not going well like Schumacher and Alonso would

Now even Heikki's name has been thrown into the hat as well.

I'm afraid Massa's time at Ferrari is coming to an end and he should part on his terms not suffer anymore

Jenson is also only one year into a three year contract. He's just playing with the press I would think. He wouldn't say anything in seriousness that could upset McLaren. Having a bit of fun is my guess.

Despite my earlier comments regarding Perez, what about Kovalainen? he would be a reasonably good bet for Ferrari, and I guess would be quite compliant for a few bob and a competitive car.

Despite my earlier comments regarding Perez, what about Kovalainen? he would be a reasonably good bet for Ferrari, and I guess would be quite compliant for a few bob and a competitive car.

Cast your mind back to his time at McLaren. He goes into a team which, whether or not they like to admit it, favoured Hamilton. You're now suggesting he goes to Ferrari, a team which 99% of all people know back Alonso more than the guy in the other car. Granted Massa isn't giving them much of a reason to do otherwise with his points total this season.

As much as I believe Kovalainen should be in a better car, that would not work out for him at all in my opinion. Then again, he's more experienced now than he was 3-4 years ago.

Bus Stop Chicane, it depends how fed up he is languishing at the back, maybe a short term contract may not be such a bad thing to get him into a competitive team, and back in the shop window, and to help him see how far he has come in the last couple of years. There can be few better yardsticks than Alonso. He may be getting a little tired of the progress that Caterham are making.

Only the very brave and the very tough should be pitted against Alonso - neither Massa nor Kovi are strong enough. that's assuming that Ferrari want a 'full' team!

I am guessing so Jen because they will want to win the Constructors Championship. Alonso might have a very healthy lead in the drivers championship but Ferrari are down in 4th in the WCC and 57 points behind Red Bull. Of Ferrari's 189 points, Alonso has contributed 86% of Ferrari's points this season and he alone can't win the WCC for Ferrari. It's a pretty damning verdict on Massa as well who has less points than Di Resta and Kobayashi

Indeedy, so who has the balls to fill the 'possibly vacant' seat and add to their constructor points?

Only the very brave and the very tough should be pitted against Alonso - neither Massa nor Kovi are strong enough. that's assuming that Ferrari want a 'full' team!

It depends on your definition of team really, in terms of F1 drivers anyway.

Some team principals prefer to have two very strong, potentially title winning members to promote their chances of winning both titles.

Others, traditionally like Ferrari, prefer the clear 1 and 2 approach, with one of their drivers being very strong while the other will still pick up points (and perhaps a win when the other is out of contention) but not be strong enough to directly challenge the other's hegemony in the WDC.

However, Massa has simply not been good enough this year and Ferrari's position in the WCC reflects this problem. It just depends on whether Ferrari want to change their traditional approach and bring in a potential rival to Alonso or stick to their guns and bring in another number 2.

Ferrari want the WCC as much as the next man, at the moment they seem to be happy to 'possibly' settle for the WDC!

Back
Top Bottom