Grand Prix 2023 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's time to move on to the next "dead rubber" in the 2023 F1 season with the formal United States Grand Prix, as opposed to the informal ones which took place in Miami and the one planned in Las Vegas.

What excitement can we expect at the Circuit of the Americas? I suspect very little on track as Max will scamper away to win by about 30 seconds, having take it easy for most of the race so the powers that be don't realise just how fast this years Red Bull is compared to all the other cars. In the second Red Bull Sergio Perez is working his notice and probably won't make it out of Q2. So here's some potential excitement, we can all speculate about who will get the second seat at Red Bull for 2024.

Also at Red Bull, the power struggle between Christian Horner and Helmut Marko will be played down by anyone in a Red Bull shirt as they pretend that all is sweetness and light despite the inevitable in-fighting following the death of Dietrich Mateschitz. Just out of interest, how many of you have seen the Red Bull headquarters near Salburg? No? Well here it is:

1697783542280.png

I can't help but be put in mind of the sort building a Bond villain inhabits. And if you want to draw a comparison with the McLaren Technical centre, please read up on the ego and obsessive mind of a certain Ronald Dennis CBE.

What else on the driver merry-go-round? Other seats are still up for grabs, with Logan Sargeant's hold on his place at Williams looking very tenuous. I presume, like Nicholas Latifi before him, Logan brings a big wedge of cash with him to the Williams team as his junior record certainly doesn't justify a seat in an F1 car. This will probably be paying Pat Fry's salary next year as he joins the Grove team as Chief Technical Officer for 2024. Williams must have taken him on as he did such a stonking job at McLaren in 2018/19 (6th and 4th in the Constructors Championship) and at Renault/Alpine between 2020 and 2023 (5th, 5th and 4th and currently 6th). Quite a CV isn't it, I'd give him a job.

On other drivers likely on their way out, Lance Stroll has apologised for being "a bit moody" after making a dick of himself in Qatar. I'm sure his mood in Austin hasn't been helped by the race organisers putting up paddock images with Felipe Drugovich shown in his Aston Martin race suit rather than Lawrence's little lad. Perhaps this is daddy's way of telling Lance that he is surplus to requirements for 2024?

1697784209158.png

Michael Andretti will be stalking around the paddock in Austin, talking to anyone he can about how great his entry will be if someone actually lets him put a car on track in 2025. Meanwhile, all the other team principals will be pretending that they can't see him as they narrowly look to protect their own interests rather than that of the sport generally. F1 has always been full of ego's, self interest, and some who show almost psychopathic tendencies at times, but this current lot look to have taken it to a new level. Given that Alpine are selling off bits and pieces to anyone with a couple of bob to spare, perhaps Andretti might buy their entry for 2025?

Should you have missed this, Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, along with a load of their famous mates, have bough a small stake in the team - Who owns Alpine F1 team and which celebrities are involved? How much Ryan Reynolds, Patrick Mahomes have invested presumably to "do a Wrexham" in F1 and get Alpine into the 4th Division. Oh, they are already there.

Back to the race, Danny Ricciardo returns at Alpha Tauri. I suspect he's hoping that a few decent showings will encourage Red Bull to put him back in the first team in 2024, making way for Liam Lawson to get a full time drive at what is rumoured to become either Boss F1 or Adidas F1 as Red Bull look to off load the less than successful Alpha Tauri clothing brand. You know, I've always thought that a natural business extension for a fizzy drinks company is to go in to clothing, as I pulled on my 7Up pants the other day.

We have a sprint race this weekend so the teams have 20 minutes to get the cars set up on Friday morning before we are in "Parc Ferme". Given it usually takes Mercedes until the end of FP3 at most races to work out where the tyres go on their cars we probably won't see the Silver Arrows anywhere near the podium in any of the races this weekend. Meanwhile, McLaren will take a second or third place an celebrate like they have just won a world championship. How the mighty are fallen. It's like watching Osella or Minardi back in the 80's and 90's.

If you have Sky F1 here are the broadcast times in the UK:
1697785347975.png

If you don't have Sky or don't live in the UK look it up yourself, I'm not your mother! ;)

Some other teams will be taking part. The team at Sky will do their very best to pretend that there is some sort of excitement when the safety car period has ended on lap 5, after the inevitable first corner incident. But the cars will all drive round in order and we will all wait, breathlessly, for a sub-two second pit stop, or something equally pointless in what is supposed to be a motor race (Toto).

Last edited:
What else on the driver merry-go-round? Other seats are still up for grabs, with Logan Sargeant's hold on his place at Williams looking very tenuous. I presume, like Nicholas Latifi before him, Logan brings a big wedge of cash with him to the Williams team as his junior record certainly doesn't justify a seat in an F1 car. This will probably be paying Pat Fry's salary next year as he joins the Grove team as Chief Technical Officer for 2024. Williams must have taken him on as he did such a stonking job at McLaren in 2018/19 (6th and 4th in the Constructors Championship) and at Renault/Alpine between 2020 and 2023 (5th, 5th and 4th and currently 6th). Quite a CV isn't it, I'd give him a job.
i hope logan gets a 2nd season just to prove himself, i think he's done enough, going up against for me up with mclaren lads as best P4P drivers this season & the boss has admitted for many races albon has had all the updates since the summer break, time adjusted logan had been quite close as he proved in Qatar. he was unfortunate could won the F3 in 2020 beating oscar piastri to the title but he was taken out at the 1st corner of the finale. & lost out by 4pts

& on pat fry he reminds of me of football managers who done nothing recently but get a job on reputation, because they did a great job 10 years ago

Red Bull look to off load the less than successful Alpha Tauri clothing brand.
Did not know that's what Alpha Tauri was.

:thinking:

Wonder if Benetton fancies a comeback?

Actually, the team should just go back to their original Minardi name.

i dont know if its ferrari or F1 currently that i cant predict & i would guess that it is the former. you never know what ferrari is going to turn up because in last 2 races on similar tracks to this austin where they are fast corners Suzuka & Qatar, they were 3rd best team in japan & 4th best in Qatar. yet they come to USA & are on pole :dunno:

in a way its nice that he is still as competitive as ever, despite these been dead rubbers, although now the grid is finally creeping back to him & the pressure is on, the old 2021 max is creeping back in & not the relaxed of last 2 years. especially the way he had to wring every part of the car to go on to provisional pole & that became 6th

whose going tell him thats his teammate
temp 6.jpg

forgot that i dont know if its the lack of running but aston martin are struggled with updates again. unless they improve in mexico they are showing that they dont understand why the red bull is so quick, that people say they took inspiration from. to improve on it

not sure how im going to manage to watch the sprint shootout outside bramall lane before the 8pm kick off where we'll take a bigger hammering than perez

Russell given a 3 place grid drop for the Sprint for holding up le Clerc in the Sprint Qualifying, or "Shoot Out" as we are supposed to call it.

Feck me, that was dull. Even Red Bull cheer leader in chief, Christian Horner, sounded bored.
yeah the 1st 5 laps were interesting but after that it died a bit barring a norris sainz russell battles. the sprint weekend for me is better format than 2021 & 22. but its still needs improvement

the sprint race has been lost because i thought it was brought in as entertainment & its ended up being serious.

i think the podium is pretty set i would say barring unreliability. you would have to say Verstappen Hamilton & Norris look pretty nailed on. in which order whether im right or just overly positive we'll see. but im not sure in which order i think the 2 brits might have enough pace to hold them off when leading.

The rational for having them went up in smoke the minute they stopped being used as qualifying for Sunday.

Now they're just an even more pointless addition to certain race weekends.

i cant be lance stroll is taking part because his brakes lasted 5 laps in Practise & 15 laps in the sprint. so they cant be confident it going to last 57

Back
Top Bottom