Grand Prix 2023 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

For some reason my brain has blanked the 2022 Belgian GP from my mind, I'm not sure why. Having just read the Wiki page for the race it appears that Max Verstappen was fastest in Qualifying, but should have started last due to various power unit penalties. However, he ended up 14th on the grid as seven other drivers also took either PU or gearbox penalties at the race as well.

Come the race, mobile chicane Nicolas Latifi nurfed Valterri Bottas off bringing out the safety car after only two laps and by this time Verstappen was already 8th. After the safety car it only took another 10 laps for Max to pass the rest of the cars in front, winning the race by nearly 18 seconds from his team mate, Sergio Perez.

Now here's the kicker for this weekend, it is supposed to rain for all three days. As we know from 2021 the FIA does not like to let the cars even try and race in the rain at Spa so assuming we have some sort of qualifying session getting your car on Pole with be an absolute imperative as you will then be able to follow Bernd Maylander round for 3 laps and be declared the winner. This might be the opportunity for a team other than Red Bull to win a race in 2023, but I wouldn't hold you breath on that.

Spa in the sunshine looks a beautiful place. Spa in the rain, when the clouds get trapped on top of the hills, looks dank, dark and miserable. Let's hope that there is some sort of race this weekend. Perhaps F1 might consider having the option to race on a Monday should the Sunday be a wash out. But then how could we squeeze all the races Liberty Media now demand in to the calendar if the teams lose even one day from their stupidly tight logistics schedule.

For you enjoyment, here is a much more interesting article than I could ever write from Motorsport Magazine about the FIA's attempts to allow cars to race in the rain, and the development of "mudguards" (rain or spray guards surely?) - F1's new 'mudguards' fail to reduce spray – but wet weather solution still needed

It also give you a little bit of history on the soul searching F1 teams and drivers have done over the years when it comes to protecting drivers in a wet race. The drivers choose to drive these cars and are rewarded handsomely, but have we reached a point where without significant changes in car design they shouldn't race in the wet? My POV is that as the teams will spend tens of millions trying to get an extra 10th of a second of performance from the car it should be down to them work on how they can reduce the problems of spray and come up with something quick and simple to install on the car in a racing pit stop. It will be the responsibility of the track officials to tell the teams when these must be fitted and when they can be removed, otherwise we know one team or driver will try to gain an advantage by not using the spray guards.

This is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sport, the teams should be able to design a car which can race in conditions which are foreseeable over the course of a racing season.

The Spa race is 44 laps of a 4.35 mile circuit, enjoy. There is also a sprint race, which I won't enjoy.

that Verstappen move through the field was highly impressive but now we've seen it 22 times out 23 i think now. it has gotten a little tedious. youve got to love that they moved the race a month earlier to avoid the late august rain & have ran into even worse. friday & saturday seems bad were the % doesn't go below 80% but Sunday seems quite good

my do we need as decent Belgian GP, ive not been this affected with F1 since the 2013 season when vettel was doing the same 10 years ago. at the moment FIA are going to have to privately bring them back for 2024. or take the choice out of red bull hands & put hamilton, norris, leclerc or alonso in that seat so we have some competition so that we have a 2 horse race like Prost/Senna or Hamilton/Rosberg

All eyes on Eau Rouge / Radillion given the fatality a month ago
i think the days of the tarmac run off has to be numbered because in my novice opinion & based on Hubert fatality. it was rebound that's the problem more than crash in the 1st place. as gravel would slow the rebound & grass i guess would slow the apex speed

Now here's the kicker for this weekend, it is supposed to rain for all three days. As we know from 2021 the FIA does not like to let the cars even try and race in the rain at Spa so assuming we have some sort of qualifying session getting your car on Pole with be an absolute imperative as you will then be able to follow Bernd Maylander round for 3 laps and be declared the winner. This might be the opportunity for a team other than Red Bull to win a race in 2023, but I wouldn't hold you breath on that.
why or how is that we raced in this in 1998, is it that we didnt know any better & we shouldnt have. but then only 4 years since senna i could see the sport being as risk averse as we feel they are. or is it more downforce creating more spray. or is it pirelli because goodyear & bridgestone were fine in the 90's & 00s

Last edited:
but its weird mentality because ive heard many people in particular. say in the past. in particularly Martin Brundle around fuji 07? & Peter Windsor in the mansell documentary. that in the spray your listening to the car in front & when they lift off you lift off. or as peter Windsor said when they lift off he move to the right & brake later to overtake

Different breed of drivers, everything is done for them today, they expect their engineer to tell them how to drive, there was no radio in those days so nothing blocking their ears

Different breed of drivers, everything is done for them today, they expect their engineer to tell them how to drive, there was no radio in those days so nothing blocking their ears
but we arent talking about that long ago though, its not by gone era, talking about hakkinen, we are talking about Hamilton & alonso who drove in conditions & in lewis case won twice in races in 2007 & 2008. that would be red flagged now. i cant help but think that bianchi which was a very tragic accident & take nothing away because i was deeply affected him as well, but id say he has almost had a bigger effect on racing than we thought

2 weeks 2 very special pole laps 1 from lewis & 1 from max. from nearly out in Q2 to winning by 8 tenths. at the least the 1st 10 laps are going to be fun

If you enjoy that Red Bull flying past every car in front of it with DRS until it sods off into the lead, never to be seen again then yeah, I suppose you could use the word "fun"
i live in hope that verstappen cant overtake until lap 10 & teams are right their drs advantage is reduced

i live in hope that verstappen cant overtake until lap 10 & teams are right their drs advantage is reduced
I live in hope he slides wide at turn one and, while attempting to rejoin the track gets nerfed by Danny Ric and has to retire with a bent right rear suspension.

Back
Top Bottom