Grand Prix 2023 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

For some reason my brain has blanked the 2022 Belgian GP from my mind, I'm not sure why. Having just read the Wiki page for the race it appears that Max Verstappen was fastest in Qualifying, but should have started last due to various power unit penalties. However, he ended up 14th on the grid as seven other drivers also took either PU or gearbox penalties at the race as well.

Come the race, mobile chicane Nicolas Latifi nurfed Valterri Bottas off bringing out the safety car after only two laps and by this time Verstappen was already 8th. After the safety car it only took another 10 laps for Max to pass the rest of the cars in front, winning the race by nearly 18 seconds from his team mate, Sergio Perez.

Now here's the kicker for this weekend, it is supposed to rain for all three days. As we know from 2021 the FIA does not like to let the cars even try and race in the rain at Spa so assuming we have some sort of qualifying session getting your car on Pole with be an absolute imperative as you will then be able to follow Bernd Maylander round for 3 laps and be declared the winner. This might be the opportunity for a team other than Red Bull to win a race in 2023, but I wouldn't hold you breath on that.

Spa in the sunshine looks a beautiful place. Spa in the rain, when the clouds get trapped on top of the hills, looks dank, dark and miserable. Let's hope that there is some sort of race this weekend. Perhaps F1 might consider having the option to race on a Monday should the Sunday be a wash out. But then how could we squeeze all the races Liberty Media now demand in to the calendar if the teams lose even one day from their stupidly tight logistics schedule.

For you enjoyment, here is a much more interesting article than I could ever write from Motorsport Magazine about the FIA's attempts to allow cars to race in the rain, and the development of "mudguards" (rain or spray guards surely?) - F1's new 'mudguards' fail to reduce spray – but wet weather solution still needed

It also give you a little bit of history on the soul searching F1 teams and drivers have done over the years when it comes to protecting drivers in a wet race. The drivers choose to drive these cars and are rewarded handsomely, but have we reached a point where without significant changes in car design they shouldn't race in the wet? My POV is that as the teams will spend tens of millions trying to get an extra 10th of a second of performance from the car it should be down to them work on how they can reduce the problems of spray and come up with something quick and simple to install on the car in a racing pit stop. It will be the responsibility of the track officials to tell the teams when these must be fitted and when they can be removed, otherwise we know one team or driver will try to gain an advantage by not using the spray guards.

This is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sport, the teams should be able to design a car which can race in conditions which are foreseeable over the course of a racing season.

The Spa race is 44 laps of a 4.35 mile circuit, enjoy. There is also a sprint race, which I won't enjoy.

The tyre displaces the water but it is slow tyre some 6 seconds at Spa than the intermediate, if you have a ground effect car it literally hoovers up the water and spews it out the back. There needs to be some type of collector defuser fitted to the rear to collect the water and disperse it at a lower level and less dense, this however will drastically slow the cars, so needs to to be easily fitted and removed. The stewards will call when to fit them and also when not required, the call to fit in a race must be before the lead car passes the pit lane entrance, not half the pack pitting to fit and getting an advantage as in the safety car rules, it will be up to the teams to decide when to pit after the stewards announce they can be removed. This will bring in another tactical decision as depending on time loss with the defuser fitted and having to subsequently pit for another tyre choice ( intermediate or slicks) some teams may choose to stay out longer and save a pit stop.

If anyone tries to convince me that watching 8th to 13th swapping positions every three of four laps constitutes an exciting or even interesting race I'll tell them to go and take their heads for a wobble.

If anyone tries to convince me that watching 8th to 13th swapping positions every three of four laps constitutes an exciting or even interesting race I'll tell them to go and take their heads for a wobble.
although i agree at the moment it is crap that. this is the most dominant era of F1 beating Schumacher at Ferrari & McLaren in 1988. & yes i would much prefer it to be for the lead

but that race until lap 36 was entertaining nothing like the borefest of hungary. & sprint was very entertaining

I fell asleep.
Oh mate. You missed a brilliant bit. One of the midfield drivers on fresher tyres caught up wirh one of the other midfield drivers. He then proceeded to overtake along the Kemmel straight, using DRS and passing miles before the breaking zone for Les Combes.

It was a fantastic bit of driving to take 12th place.

It's displays of skill and bravery (Martin Brundle's very words) like this that keeps me watching week in week out.

Bring on a 52 race GP season.

You know it's not a race when a driver says this.

1690737749672.png

Oh mate. You missed a brilliant bit. One of the midfield drivers on fresher tyres caught up wirh one of the other midfield drivers. He then proceeded to overtake along the Kemmel straight, using DRS and passing miles before the breaking zone for Les Combes.

It was a fantastic bit of driving to take 12th place.

It's displays of skill and bravery (Martin Brundle's very words) like this that keeps me watching week in week out.

Bring on a 52 race GP season.
Norris outside move on sergant. on his mission to rescue a terrible race. was good

Ocon on tsunoda when it was covered & he did shoved down the inside anyway

It's only a matter of when Verstappen wins it...when is the Mexicsn GP?

As for the race

Mclaren- bad luck Piastri. Did Norris choose wet weather set up?

Ferrari - they were 2nd quickest no doubt

Mercedes- I expected them to struggle but Hamilton still nearly got a podium. Russell.the gap between him and Hamilton is getting bigger

Red Bull - Verstappen is in a different league to Perez. I still was surprised that Checo only finished 5 seconds ahead of Le Clerc

Back
Top Bottom