Who might replace Massa and where might he go?

Who would you say will replace Massa in Ferrari?
I think it unlikely they'll get a decent replacement mid season. They should have got rid over the winter but would suggest their best move now is to bring in their spare/test driver and see how he does and look for a replacement for the start of next season.

lewymp4 and Jen

Totally agree with the pair of you on Timo Glock. He's so frustrated at Marussia and you can see it, but I really do think you have to look at Fisichella for the seat just until the end of the season. That way your not gonna break anyone from their contracts and pay another team a high compensation fee.

If you are thinking of going for Fisi, you might as well stick with Massa - at least Massa can get the car to move.

Which is why i can't see Ferrari getting rid of him until the end of the season. It just doesn't make sense for a driver to move teams during the season, it will just unsettle the team he's left.

The only person who would be unsettled is Rob Smedley, perhaps. Massa isn't really helping anyone - not the team, the management, his co-driver nor himself.

I don't remember Glock doing anything special, apart from his podium finish in Hungary, and that came about due to Massa's engine blowing up and Hamilton's puncture.

In 2009 it was Trulli who was getting the car up into places, and Trulli had 4 retirements compared to 0 of Glocks.

Yeah he is getting wasted though, and is probably the best short term solution, but even then, it's highly unlikely he will get considered.

So you don't remember Glock's 2nd place at Singapore? Or him missing the final part of the season when the Toyota was competitive after falling behind a bit in the middle of the season.

I reckon Kovalainen deserves another chance with a good team. Although there are arguments to be made for the likes of Kobayashi, Perez and di Resta etc. who are also good but havn't even had the chance to waste a good car.

Yes I am aware he missed that part of the season due to his own mistake. However we see drivers crash often, rarely nowadays does it mean that they miss 3 races. Moreover 3 races in which his team-mate averaged a qualifying position of 4th is a big hinderence when you're a midfield driver but have a car that can fight for serious points.

Thinking about this logically whilst all those guys are great options what Ferrari actually need is for the driver they bring in to replace Massa to have some test time in the 2012 car before they throw him into a Grand Prix. It makes sense then that they should stick with Massa until Silverstone and if his form doesn't improve opt for a young driver who they could give 3 full days testing time at the young drivers test the week after the British Grand Prix. This would give them a full 3 days to get the driver up to speed with the car, for him to learn the in's and out's of the Ferrari and to get him ready to be thrown into the Grand Prix mix.

Logically you would have to conclude the driver they would pick would be Bianchi as he is their current choice for the young drivers test and he's had time in the Force India this season. You wouldn't rule them out poaching a Bottas or a Razia though if they thought they'd do better. Important thing would be for them to still qualify for the young drivers test.

I've just had a horrible thought - surely the ex Mclaren staff wouldn't suggest Gary Parffet would they? :sick:

So far this year the following drivers have been mentioned as to possible replacements for the Brazilian:

Hulkemberg
Di Resta
Perez
Rosberg
Maldonado
Vettel
Webber
Button
Kubica

What's interesting is that out of that list, the following drivers are outscoring Massa, despite being in slower cars:

di Resta
PĂ©rez
Rosberg
Maldonado

The others (minus HĂĽlkenberg) are also outscoring him but that is to be expected as they are driving Red Bulls and McLarens.

interesting on this

apparently within Maranello there is some question mark over

Perez' s consistency surprised to hear this and must be referring to he has a few accidents now and then or his poor quali hampering his race

Di Resta apparently has got some admirers given his background and off course the only teammate to beat Vettel over a season I think

Rosberg has been mentioned but his stock has fallen a bit after his win with some poor races apart from Monaco

Maldonado ...this must be money related given the fact that Luca now wants cost cuts and Ferrari being Italian and its sponsors mainly Spanish - both countries with serious economic problems is hurting them

interesting on this

apparently within Maranello there is some question mark over

Perez' s consistency surprised to hear this and must be referring to he has a few accidents now and then or his poor quali hampering his race

Probably one of the most consistent drivers out there I think :dunno:

2012: 8-:2nd: -11-11-DNF[mechanical]-11-:3rd: -9-DNF[not his fault]-6.

Pretty consistent I think?

The huge problem that Ferrari have is what I call "Schumacher syndrome". Whoever goes to Ferrari will have to except the fact that they are number two and that's that until Alonso walks. Ferrari's ideal driver in this situation will be someone who can be consistent, provide excellent engineering feedback and be a total team player.

As it stands at the moment, who of today's current crop of available drivers would like to go there knowing that?

Massa want's to stay in F1, is a known quantity inside the team and has nothing to lose.

With the number of doors closing in the remaining top teams it looks to me like it's going to be a quiet winter this year.

I haven't heard Kubica being discussed recently re Ferrari, has enyone heard any realistic comments?

Back
Top Bottom