Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

They've changed their stance since last week then.

BBC Sport - Red Bull may turn to Ferrari engines after Mercedes ruled out 8th Sept

Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said the Italian company was prepared to supply Red Bull if necessary.

He said he was not concerned about their reputation for being able to build highly-competitive chassis in F1, led by their design chief Adrian Newey.

Arrivabene said: "In theory they have big names, with Newey as chief designer and it is easy to think that if you give them the engine they will build a scary chassis, which means they will be really competitive.

"Concerning my team, my engineers and aerodynamicists know their own jobs. For that reason I don't have a problem, and competition is nice when you have a stronger competitor.

"This doesn't mean tomorrow morning we will give our engines to Red Bull or Toro Rosso.

"But I don't see any kind of problem to give our engine to any other team or be scared of the competition before they start.

Well, I hear Ferrari have started to design their new pit wall console:

TEN CAN.png

There was a lot of talk about how Hamilton may lose out to Rosberg once the new start procedures were implemented, due to Rosberg's greater knowledge of the car/engineering/degree/ability to speak several languages/his naturally blond hair, etc.

That doesn't appear to have been the case though. Quite the opposite in fact.

In Japan, Rosberg apparently didn't manage the warm up lap correctly and therefore his power unit (engine :rolleyes:) was down on power.

Barring mishaps or a complete meltdown from Hamilton, I can't see the situation changing much for the rest of the season.

Autosport has an article asking: Was Hamilton fair to Rosberg at Suzuka?
They don't actually answer the question or address it directly as far as I can see. However, they do question the legality of the kind of overtake where you don't leave the guy on the outside any room or anywhere to go.

This is - or was - a very basic overtaking manoeuvre, I believe it would come under the heading "block pass". In Bahrain 2014 we saw it practised countless times by Nico, he also did it to Valteri Bottas on Sunday. The defensive trick is - as demonstrated by Lewis countless times in Bahrain - is to brake early and cut back underneath your adversary. It requires a little bit of thinking ahead. And ballsing it out round the outside of a turn is actually a clear indication that one is not thinking ahead, it is just being a little desperate.

When eventually the FIA do impose a ban on the block pass - which I am sure they will, because they ban everything else that is genuine overtaking - I will arm myself to the teeth, declare war on the FIA and wipe them off the face of the Earth.

Nico not driving into Lewis is not a sign that he is guttless or not up for the fight, it is just the sensible thing to do once you have exceeding the extent of your forward planning.

Last edited:
there is usually one line into the corner and Hamilton had the line . It is certainly not the approach that Schumacher use to do where he would block and then dart back at the very last minute and take the racing line and chop a lot of driver's nose off

there is usually one line into the corner and Hamilton had the line .

Depending on the corner and the temperament of the driver there are numerous racing lines. Nico intended to use the "standard racing line" a wide entry, clip the apex and wide on exit. Lewis wasn't on the standard or accepted racing line, however, he got to the apex that Nico wanted to make. To avoid an accident he took a more roundabout route, which then became an off track excursion, due in no small part to Lewis maintaining an unsustainable speed and cutting a very shallow arc.

There was a lot of talk about how Hamilton may lose out to Rosberg once the new start procedures were implemented, due to Rosberg's greater knowledge of the car/engineering/degree/ability to speak several languages/his naturally blond hair, etc.

That doesn't appear to have been the case though. Quite the opposite in fact.

In Japan, Rosberg apparently didn't manage the warm up lap correctly and therefore his power unit (engine :rolleyes:) was down on power.

Barring mishaps or a complete meltdown from Hamilton, I can't see the situation changing much for the rest of the season.

It seems Hamilton's decision to dye his hair blonde has neutralized some of Rosberg's advantage in this respect.

Hamilton has all the answers for Rosberg and some have labelled Nico " Gerhard Berger" in reference to Senna

I would also say webber to vettel at red bull as its almost dejavu from 2010 > 2011

But I think I put this on Japanese gp discussion said nico just no competition compared to Lewis just proved by stat i think i put on here before suzuka that despite have the dominant car for the majority of the season he was only 8 pts ahead of vettel coming into Japan which in my opinion (no offense to vettel) is pretty poor

He only took title to the wire because of Lewis's 3mth horrendous bad run of luck in qualifying I would say that barring reliability (touch wood) he will probably be champ by Mexico/Brazil

Last edited:
Depending on the corner and the temperament of the driver there are numerous racing lines. Nico intended to use the "standard racing line" a wide entry, clip the apex and wide on exit. Lewis wasn't on the standard or accepted racing line, however, he got to the apex that Nico wanted to make. To avoid an accident he took a more roundabout route, which then became an off track excursion, due in no small part to Lewis maintaining an unsustainable speed and cutting a very shallow arc.

To expand on this, there are typically three lines into any given corner:
The geometric apex has the apex at the mid point of the turn, and is the standard approach to pretty much every turn. You're shortening the course, smoothing out the turns, this is basic, work-a-day, elementary racing. It gets the job done.
The late apex - brake hard, come in late, but get on the power early, which is great for a corner immediately preceding a long acceleration section. This is the secret to Donington's Redgate, and is a signature of most modern racing. This gives you after-corner overtaking opportunities, and is good for high-powered cars.
The early apex - in this line, you bring a lot of speed into the turn, often braking in the turn itself. It gives you great overtaking opportunities coming into the corner. It's not generally well-liked, as you can't get on the power early out of the turn - however, that doesn't mean it's not quick - if you're brave, and confident in your car, you simply maintain a higher average speed through the turn.

The classic back and forth battle in racing, where one driver seems like he has it in the bag coming into the turn, then loses out to the other car when it accelerates out of the turn is usually a result of two drivers using alternate racing lines. The one who dives down the inside and gets in front in the start of the turn is using an early apex - out-braking his opponent. The one who accelerates hard out of the corner is using a late apex, and manages to regain position in the acceleration itself, often because he can force the early apexer out wide/off the track. However, the reason that battling cars actually slow down a bit, allowing others to catch up to them, is that the two drivers are actually compromising each others' lines, and not gaining the full benefit of their racing lines.

I have said on several occasions, Nico stopped being a racing driver at Spa last year, when his employers threw him under the bus. Results for him since then, after being hung out to dry for a racing incident, plus the boost for Lewis knowing the same management had his back covered, meant this season was a foregone conclusion as long as Mercedes had a similar advantage to last year.

Pole position isn't necessarily important this year, but leading after the first lap is. It seems to me, that being in front after lap 1 is more important than ever. Cars behind seem to struggle, regardless of who they are. At Suzuka, Lewis had a no lose situation - yes he ran Nico out of road, but if there had been contact, who would have got the blame? Also, if both had been out, no great loss for Lewis either. Vettel isn't a serious threat unless Mercedes run into big reliability issues. If I was Nico, I'd get out of Mercedes for my own good - either retire and enjoy family life or go to Ferrari / Williams. Put Max in the Merc - I don't think he's backing down for anyone, ever.

Back
Top Bottom