Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

Kewee Yeah but Hamilton respects Alonso as his toughest opponent . Few could live with Hamilton in this form but Alonso is one of them if he had the car
As you know Il_leone I'm a huge Alonso fan so in part I agree with you, but for the first time and I hate to admit it, Hamilton has age on his side. I sincerely hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see Alonso in a competitive car and back to his best, then maybe Hamilton would have a real battle on his hands.

I can't see Alonso wanting to stay around in F1 for very much longer. If he stays for next year, it would be because he believes that McLaren/Honda are going to be in with a chance.
I don't see that happening.

Time is definitely against Alonso , and unfortunately it's probably a bit too late for him now... his problem is basically that too big a percentage of his career was spent driving average cars but he is partly responsible for that. The ability to sense the wind turning is also a talent and maybe the one area he has lacked.

Anyway this is the Hamilton V Rosberg thread.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Alonso has really had any better options than the decisions he's taken, his only mistake was the complete meltdown with McLaren in 2007. Red Bull were never really an option, which "forced" him in to a long contract with Ferrari who weren't quite good enough to give him a championship 2010-2014, then after that relationship had soured going back to McLaren was his only way into a manufacturer. In hindsight he may also regret losing patience with Ferrari if they go on to win championships in the next couple of years, but in reality I think the complete restructuring of the team was necessary for them to be able to start fresh and move forward.

If he'd just accepted that McLaren weren't going to give him favours to beat Lewis in 2007 his career would have ended up on the same trajectory as Hamilton's and it could even be him in the Mercedes now and he may may have won the championship in 2007/8 as well. Having said that, I suspect the draw of Ferrari would always have been too big for him so he would have ended up there eventually anyway.

Alonso's team moves:

2003: Sauber-Renault - correct decision.
2007: Renault-McLaren - correct decision
2008: McLaren-Renault - forced by circumstances.
2010: Renault-Ferrari - correct decision given options.
2015: Ferrari-McLaren - only option once committing to leaving Ferrari.

For me it's a big chain of decisions that may look like bad judgements at a first glance but he has actually been forced in to because of the crazy year that was 2007. You could say that that's Hamilton's greatest achievement (although he clearly couldn't know the repercussions at the time), as his performances in 2007 prevented a situation where he was either going to be in the same team as Alonso or directly competing for the same seats in other teams as Alonso for possibly the rest of his career.

Edit: oh shit I didn't realise this wasn't the Alonso thread.

Last edited:
Fernando is only just 34 years old and not nearly past it, but he ought to get out of McLaren/Honda and into a Mercedes powered car ASAP.

Lewis and Mercedes ought to reconsider their aversion to supplying RBR with engines as it would make for a very interesting and competitive F1. The first year wouldn't be too different from this one but subsequent seasons would be a definite improvement.

Last edited:
Isn't that exactly why they averse to it in the first place though?

They want to dominate for as long as possible, to maximise their coverage and investment, however if F1 continues to decline in popularity and it goes pay to view every where their huge investment is wasted. Add to that the fact that the car that is in the lead of a race and unchallenged gets next to no coverage during a race! It is actually better to have an adversary right up your chuff.

I think both Lewis and Mercedes would relish the competition, but no one is going to hand the very tools necessary (that they own and worked very hard to produce) to (arguably) the strongest chassis on the grid...

I can't imagine Rosberg also being too thrilled with the idea, of a Red Bull powered by Mercedes. Lewis is enough of a problem for Nico having to deal with, and he doesn't need the possible added aggravation coming from Ricciardo or Kvyat.

Yeah it was very wishful thinking from Red Bull.

Still as one of the topics on the agenda at the next F1 team get together is letting teams be supplied with the previous years engine on the cheap the top teams will soon have a way of making sure they maintain their advantage no matter who they supply too.

I also don't think Red Bull will mind too much. Yes the 2014 Ferrari engine was a bit poo but its a dam site more reliable than the Renault!

Back
Top Bottom