Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

I was gonna say Rosberg did not see the funny side of Vettel's comments about tyre pressure whilst Hamilton joined in the banter post race press conference

Dario Resta Rosberg is a bit like Webber was to Vettel at Red Bull. Whatever Nico does , Lewis has him covered. I am not sure what he is complaining about apart the move compromised his race because he had to lift. Nico could have lifted after turn 1 instead of fighting until turn 2 .to just settle behind Lewis and have a full race distance to race against him. It is just not happening for Rosberg

The trouble is he will never have a better car to be world champion to be in certainly at his stage of his career.. the only teams that would sign him are Williams and possibly Mclaren

Fundamentally Rosberg doesn't seem to have any answers for Hamilton and, most importantly, he - actually both of them - know it.

I hope that's the case.

original.jpg

Even DC agrees that Nico is a world class driver and would be world champion and is up against someone who is simply formidable and on top of his game

Looks like Jenson Button is the only one who knows how to beat Lewis because I can't see any outstanding drivers out there capable of doing it although I am sure people will want to see Vettel and Hamilton in the same team or maybe Verstappen vs Hamilton

I would not put Rosberg same as Barrichello who was actually daft to ever think he was going to beat Schumacher fair and square and lacked the bottle to move when he knew the situation was not actually going to help his career

Rosberg more like Webber where his teammate is simply formidable

I don't know how you can consider Button to be the only driver right now who knows how to beat Hamilton when Button still hasn't beaten Alonso in a race yet this season. The McLaren is rubbish though, so nobody notices.

Slightly more on topic, I think comparing Rosberg to Webber is hugely unfair to the former. I also think comparing to Barrichello is unfair, albeit to a lesser extent (I rate Barrichello higher than Webber). I admit I'm not entirely sure where I would rate him, but even so. I mean, based on his performances across 2010-2014 I would've confidently rated him in the Top 5-6 on the grid; beating Schumacher, and matching Hamilton is very impressive. But this year he's been pretty dire, so who knows.

Hamilton vs. Verstappen would be interesting, even if only to find out how right or wrong I am about him. Given Toro Rosso's superb chassis this year I'm not that impressed by either driver, but I'm getting off topic again.

Spinodontosaurus 2011 ???

Rosberg they've said he's not quite top tier and he's like amongst the group in the 2nd tier who needs the right car to be world champion no doubt.
The trouble is Hamilton has upped his game this year which he has no answer for. So when he has the opportunities he really needs to make the most of them which he has not really.

The only race this year where Rosberg got the better of Hamilton throughout the weekend is Austria.

Looks like Jenson Button is the only one who knows how to beat Lewis

ll_leone....Jenson beat Lewis in 2011, and was the only time that he was able do to that, in the three years between 2010 - 2012, when they were teamed together. If Button knew how to beat Lewis, why didn't he apply that knowledge, at least in 2012? In 2012 remember that Jenson reported himself as being " lost and confused " by his complete lack of pace, and the same that year couldn't be said for Lewis, because in that year Hamilton stood a reasonable chance of winning the WDC. At no time during the three years at being teamed together, was Button ever in the running for a WDC. The same doesn't hold true for Lewis in 2010, and especially 2012.

He tried being ruthless. Look where that got him..... If anyone thinks Lewis would have got the same treatment from Mercedes as Nico did at Spa last year, they need their head read.

I'm guessing I need my head examined.
The problem in Spa was that two Mercedes team mates clashed, one had his tyre punctured, race ruined and Mercedes were robbed of a one/two finish. Had the driver behind conceded the corner, he'd have "lived to fight another day" and Mercedes would not have reacted the way they did. The driver behind disregarded Mercedes first rule of competing "do not crash into your team mate", had Lewis followed the same decision making process that Nico did, Mercedes would have been just as vexed and just as supportive of the guy whose tyre he punctured.

Nico was trying to make a point but discovered there is a fine line between imposing yourself on a team mate and taking him out of the race.

Last edited:
I'm guessing I need my head examined.
The problem in Spa was that two Mercedes team mates clashed, one had his tyre punctured, race ruined and Mercedes were robbed of a one/two finish. Had the driver behind conceded the corner, he'd have "lived to fight another day" and Mercedes would not have reacted the way they did. The driver behind disregarded Mercedes first rule of competing "do not crash into your team mate", had Lewis followed the same decision making process that Nico did, Mercedes would have been just as vexed and just as supportive of the guy whose tyre he punctured.

Nico was trying to make a point but discovered there is a fine line between imposing yourself on a team mate and taking him out of the race.

Well, I was trying to make the point that Nico "tried" being ruthless - something that he's accused of not being. Spa was a racing incident - a minor misjudgement. A decent team would have defended both of their drivers, said they had discussed it at debrief and everything was hunky dory - it was the heat of battle and all that. Lewis got all mouthy about it, Toto and Niki got even more mouthy, threw Nico under the bus, and since then Nico would have a hard time racing me, let alone Lewis. It doesn't take a genius to see that post Spa Nico isn't the same driver and Lewis' confidence has gone through the roof. Do you really believe Lewis would have been destroyed in public like Nico was? Come on.

Anyway, Nico had conceded the corner and was trying to tuck in behind. I'd hardly call it crashing, it was the lightest touch of the front edge of the endplate against Lewis' rear tyre. Yes, it had a consequence for Lewis, but hardly worth hanging his team mate out to dry over. Do you really believe Mercedes' treatment of Nico at Spa has had NO influence over the form of both drivers since?

I think that Lewis's losing to Jenson in 2011 was due to Lewis having a dip in performance and not Jenson raising his game. Lewis at his best is better than Nico at his best, but sometimes Nico is at his best when Lewis is having an off day and he beats Lewis. There is a lot of psychology in racing, it goes beyond just reaction times and judgement, and Nico was in a better place psychologically last year than he is this year. He's not a basket case and can still qualify well and pull off great passes, but Lewis has the edge (so far, he's a little fragile).

Dario Resta a lot has been made of the fallout and Nico's response/dip in form post Spa but it is very difficult to see how Nico has actually changed. He has always had a level calm demeanour, an awareness of what he is up against and the team has fought tooth and nail to keep Lewis and Nico on different parts of the track at all times. Were it not for the teams insistence that the guy in front at the end of the first stint dictates strategy, there would be no racing between them at all.

I'm fairly sure this is the first race this season that they fought over a corner, or at least, the first opportunity to intimidate one another.

Last edited:
marksawatsky Key moment for Jenson in 2011 was China when Lewis overtook him quite aggressively and then he came back in Canada showing he was not going to yield when they collided and he won the race

We know about Lewis's problems then but Jenson was very consistent each race even when he started behind Lewis. He had the confidence to know he could beat him when the lights go out

Rosberg needs a moment like that where he is the one ahead and he's not prepared to give an inch.

I think Hungary was a classic case.. he could have won but instead he was more worried about being overtaken by Lewis and chose the same tyre :s

I have yet to see how Hamilton vs Rosberg will reach the same intensity as Senna vs Prost.

I did say Nico becoming a Dad might distract him and cause a dip in form. Right now though he has not got an answer for Lewis to be fair.

Now will we see a Pironi screwjob I don't know I mean the only thing Nico could do is start ignoring team radio and do his own thing

Back
Top Bottom