McLaren Duet 2015

Who will be to drive McLaren 2015? (choose the duet)

• Alonso

Votes: 32 94.1%
  • Button

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Magnussen

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Vandoorne

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Meanwhile Adam Cooper has yesterday reported McLaren's refusal of Alonso's request to be allowed to compete at Le Mans.
He doesn't mention his sources though.
But it does appear that Fernando did seriously attempt to compete both F1 and Le Mans.

Last edited:
Incubus F1Yorkshire Road of Bones

Lego's branding is now cross promotionally with all other brands especially Disney and Warner Brothers...I should think kids are more disappointed about not getting any Frozen Lego sets than any Mclaren Lego set. The response from the Lego chief was "Christmas is not their main season to peak trade"

I find words interesting that Lego are missing out on an opportunity to market with a Danish driver by Ron Dennis ... I thought F1 was not for boys according to Bernie. I think you will find Ron kids will get more fun playing Mario Kart than watching F1 cars whizzing around so Lego are not stupid unless you really want them to bring out Lego Technic range

F1Yorkshire Force India were notoriously the last team to sort out their drivers and Mclaren have been in this position before when

a) Senna left it very late to decide to compete for 1993 season
b) Ron was forced to sign Mansell for 1995 because Marlboro expected a world champion in their team

Lego are not stupid unless you really want them to bring out Lego Technic range

They have done before, not associated with any team though

le_techgrandprixracer.jpg

Incubus

The only way to get sponsors to stop branding on other teams is to give them the right of being the title sponsor for one team because it costs more to sponsor that team ie Santander had a bigger presence on Ferrari than Mclaren because of i) Alonso and ii) Mclaren had Vodafone as their main sponsor.

F1Yorkshire

Yes but I think Lego have moved on from this as Technic is not as popular as it use to be ... Lego's focus seems to be on products for Children under 11 years old these days and they are more interested in what both Disney and Warner Bros would do NOT F1

Certainly Bernie would not be bothered

F1Yorkshire
a) Senna left it very late to decide to compete for 1993 season

-------------------------------------------------

Ron Dennis said a few months ago during a Sky interview that the whole "will-he-won't-he" (as to whether Senna would race in 1993 that kept on up to the fourth race of season) scenario had from the start been a deliberate plot designed to force Ford's hand into giving them engine parity with their Benetton works team.

Actually that's interesting, thinking about what's happening today... Maybe the reality of what is taking place right now will similarly be revealed in twenty years' time...

Incubus

Ron can spill a lot of rubbish because if I was Marlboro I would not be happy about Senna not committing and expecting Mclaren to be still winners

I thought it was said Honda have signed a 10 year contract with Mclaren... the only thing that is not known is if another team can be supplied Honda engines from 2016 which according to the regulations the options must be there to do so... the only team I can see who want Honda engines is Red Bull as their factory is just down the road in Milton Keynes but they probably want full Renault commitment now seeing they are the only teams with Renault engines

Back on the Lego question, if McLaren have been unable to secure the Danish money then would they field the Danish driver?

Is Button still associated with Head & Shoulders? I know he's still one of the faces of Santander.

F1Yorkshire I think we need to send Ron Dennis :snigger: a jack in the box for a Christmas present because it seems like he 's the only one who seriously wants Magnussen in the team . I am hoping the rest of the Mclaren shareholders go against him and vote Button

Magnussen is apparently hugely popular in Denmark because he is driving for one of the top teams in F1 but just catering for the Danish market aint great business for Mclaren

Secondly about fielding a Danish driver it sounds like Lego did not think it mattered or not if Magnussen was selected because they are simply not interested in promoting themselves in F1

A sponsor like Lego does not really fit Mclaren's image of very corporate and technically advanced company.

Was Ron seriously gone to put his cars in red livery then next year

Last edited:
Jenson and magnussen were in Edinburgh today driving around Princes Street Gardens.
Weird that they had no say in this meeting, which has been unproductive if this tweet is to be believed.

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 16.53.18.png

What did I tell you...

What I can't quite understand though, if it really is a matter of deciding who will partner Alonso next year as everyone in the press are saying, then why hasn't he himself been announced yet?...

This is getting boring now... if it carries on much longer the fans will be so bored with it they'll no longer give a damn whoever drives for McLaren next year.

Incubus they won't give a damn if Mclaren screw up big time because it's clearly Ron's vision and he needs to deliver or he 'll be overthrown by the other shareholders permanently

Back
Top Bottom