McLaren Duet 2015

Who will be to drive McLaren 2015? (choose the duet)

• Alonso

Votes: 32 94.1%
  • Button

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Magnussen

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Vandoorne

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
that is why Bouillier was talking about 3 year and 5 year plan --- seriously are they looking at either Vandoorn or Magnussen as their future driver ?

Mclaren also need to think about what position do they expect to finish next year in the constructors because if they go with Magnussen or Vandoorn I cannot see them better than 5th this year unless Ferrari screw up

You expect
Mercedes to hold their advantage,
Williams under Pat Symonds will be there again,
Red Bull will have learnt a few lessons to be not caught unprepared like they have this season and Renault will come back on the engine side
Ferrari - they've had so much upheaval and would be the only team to go backwards if their internal warfare get in the way
Lotus - they can't have another season like they have with a better Merc engine in the back

They need WCC results to get the funding for consistent improvement even with Honda support... Therefore they need drivers who can deliver consistent results for the next 2 years.

Keep Button for that time...

I mean a Danish driver can't be worth anywhere near a British driver in terms of marketing value. Button is not only British but also a well known persona in Japan. That's a far larger audience than Denmark.

------------------------------------------

I really don't think that point has much relevance in F1. What makes you think Magnussen's potential marketing value is restricted to Denmark? This is F1 we're talking about, a worldwide sport with fans and interests that spread all over the world.

Kimi Raikkonen never had any problems commanding large salaries and marketing value, even though Finland's population is even smaller than Denmark's.

Much as I would love Jenson to still be in F1 next year, to be quite honest all this prevaricating by McLaren has put me firmly in the "Go on Jens - go and race SportsCars" camp now. In a year's time, after watching a season of Fernando & KMag getting out of smoking McHondas a few laps into each race, I'm sure he'll not mind as much...

```didn't Santander also sponsor Button? But I read somewhere that Dennis had been securing a large amount of sponsorship in Norway (or was that Denmark?) Anyway Magnussen's part of the world. Which is suggestive.

Santander sponsored McLaren from 2007, then Ferrari from 2010. They left McLaren in 2014, then rejoined midway through the year for some unspecified reason.

Incubus

The difference was then Mclaren had financial clout then with Mercedes providing backing themselves and West until dropping out providing sponsorship. The Merc engines were free since they were the only team and today it cost Mclaren $17m for them.

Now Ron thought he saw long term potential in Kimi over Heidfeld and he was right to replace Hakkinen but then the potential that Kimi had was evident

K Mag has not made the most of his opportunities when available to him. A wet race is usually when the talented drivers show their skill and he floundered in Suzuka against Button to be honest by some margin

He has ended up outqualified by Button which not many were expecting considering his pace according the Mclaren simulator tests showed he was much faster than Perez and Button is not renown to be fast over 1 lap so that is a turn for the books.

If you want to compare to Kimi - well he did have good management who made full use that he was then one of the top 3 drivers on the grid at his peak besides Ron seems to have a liking for Finnish drivers

We don't know yet if Alonso joining Mclaren has stipulated he is No 1 in the team and/or can decide who his teammate is

If Alonso was not considered then Mclaren would have announced their drivers by now . Today there is suppose the day the Mclaren board sit down and decide the line up

Last edited:
I'd also suggest that the delay of announcing Alonso indicates there are some in the team who are questioning his value for money.

Back
Top Bottom