Mark Webber

I'm a little puzzled as to why Webber doesn't have a page in the teams and drivers section, as Webber is a pivotal figure in the story upfront. There are questions that need to be asked. Why can Vettel win, and Webber struggle to get on the podium fighting Ferraris and McLarens? Why is the man that was noted as a good qualifier unable to get near Vettel? Did the leg break in late 2008 do him serious performance damage? and What should Webber do in the near future?

Mark Webber. Over to you...

Well I hope so, it would be fair to say that this year is make or break, if he's not a championship competitor this season he'll be out at the end of it

Well I hope so, it would be fair to say that this year is make or break, if he's not a championship competitor this season he'll be out at the end of it

IMO, he will be gone if he doesn't secure WDC this year.

IMO, he will be gone if he doesn't secure WDC this year.

I hope so, the last two Toro Rosso drivers deserved a chance but got dropped don't see why it shouldn't be the same for Webber, hope either Buemi gets promoted from 3rd driver (yeah I am just hoping :)) or they sign another driver on the grid rather than the current Toro Rosso drivers, unless one annihilates the other, which I think is highly unlikely as they both seem promising prospects and evenly matched.

If you were Webber this year would you play second fiddle mr. nice guy to Red-Vettel making sure you pick up enough points for the constuctors and playing rear gunner for Vettel to try and make you career with Red-Bull last longer or would you view this as your last year regardless of anything and give it everything you've got?

Try and get a mini team around yourself (like Button and schumacher), never letting vettel past, trying to bully vettel of the road, ignoring whatever team orders are issued etc.

I like "Vettel of the Road", has a nice ring to it.

"I am Vettel of the Road. Hear me roar. Ring gigigiging ging. Ring gigigigigiging ging ging"

Seriously though, if Webber wanted to beat Vettel, he'd have been better going to another team. Red Bull have got a few drivers lined up for Webber's seat and if he doesn't play ball, they'll be happy to hand it over.

Webber seems to be living up to his own talk so far this season.
He has out-qualified Vettel on both occasions (admittedly Vettel decided to qualify on the primes in Malaysia, but apparently that was because he wasn't liking the options much) and finished 4th in both races.
In his home race he had an ugly start and got sandwiched by some midfield cars, but made his way back up thanks to good pace and a timely safety car.
In Malaysia he was a little tentative in the wet but stayed in front of his teammate until he was jumped during the first round of stops. In the end it didn't matter because he inherited 4th from Vettel's puncture and was possibly the quickest car on track after the switch to slicks.

Webber seems to be living up to his own talk so far this season.
He has out-qualified Vettel on both occasions (admittedly Vettel decided to qualify on the primes in Malaysia, but apparently that was because he wasn't liking the options much) and finished 4th in both races.
In his home race he had an ugly start and got sandwiched by some midfield cars, but made his way back up thanks to good pace and a timely safety car.
In Malaysia he was a little tentative in the wet but stayed in front of his teammate until he was jumped during the first round of stops. In the end it didn't matter because he inherited 4th from Vettel's puncture and was possibly the quickest car on track after the switch to slicks.

If Webber can sort out his starts then Vettel is gonna to have more a problem with his teammate . Webber being one of the heaviest drivers means he is a tad slow off the line.

Vettel's advantage from the EBD has gone and seemed to work in favour of Webber in quali at least. Webber should just concentrate on his job and make things difficult for Seb. I am sure he had a slight grin that Seb got a bit animated with a backmarker

Webber being one of the heaviest drivers means he is a tad slow off the line

Ermm isn't the reason the drivers are weighed at the end because there is a minimum and maximum weight for car + driver? Wouldn't that pretty much level the playing field of the weight off the line thing? Unless I've completely misunderstood the rule,

Indeed.

The only difference is how much ballast is required and how it is distributed.

Although in years gone by there probably was a small weight penalty, before the minimum weight of the cars was increased.
In 2011 it was increased to 640Kg, primarily related to KERS and heavier drivers, IIRC.

Ermm isn't the reason the drivers are weighed at the end because there is a minimum and maximum weight for car + driver? Wouldn't that pretty much level the playing field of the weight off the line thing? Unless I've completely misunderstood the rule,
What on earth has his weight got to do with being slow starting?

It means he has less ballast to play with to meet the weight limit around the car and every kg does help gaining those extra metres off the line

Back
Top Bottom