Mark Webber

I'm a little puzzled as to why Webber doesn't have a page in the teams and drivers section, as Webber is a pivotal figure in the story upfront. There are questions that need to be asked. Why can Vettel win, and Webber struggle to get on the podium fighting Ferraris and McLarens? Why is the man that was noted as a good qualifier unable to get near Vettel? Did the leg break in late 2008 do him serious performance damage? and What should Webber do in the near future?

Mark Webber. Over to you...

Is he really that much heavier? Not seen the driver weight lists this year

He 's probably between 10-20kg heavier than Seb and that can cost you 0.3 seconds a lap before the weight limit was introduced which helped people like Prost in the past

It can't be the clutch all the time in his car that is messing his starts

Yeah and Kubica was 6ft and I remember him having some great starts.

If it was all about height then the F1 drivers would all be like Jockeys and tiny

How can wieght be an issue as mentioned in an ealier post. I would also guess placement of ballast has less effect at the beggining of a race with all that fuel onboard. Will someone be suggesting Vettel has an extra petrol tank in his nosecone next?

Weight would barely affect his starts, as Rasputin asked, perhaps he's just bad at them.

This article from 2009 does pose an interesting thought about how the addition of KERS may have meant that driver weight matters slightly more in the race though.

http://formula1.about.com/od/drivers/a/Driver_Weights.htm

Not saying that I agree with the article but it is quite thought provoking, considering that according to ESPN Webber weighs 75Kg whilst Vettel weighs 58Kg and their closest season was 2010, the only season without KERS while they've both been at Red Bull.

Which is why I mentioned earlier that the minimum weight limit has been increased for that reason.

From 600kg to 620kg in 2010 and then to 640kg in 2011.

This regulation was extended to include 2012 season.This allows for 7kg ballast to trim the car balance to suit particular drivers preferences or bodyweight differences.
The 2009 reference is not relevant this season.
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2012/Pages/f1-cw-qa.aspx CW: We had this rule last year to allow teams to begin designing their cars before they knew the characteristics of the Pirelli tyres. The teams have indicated they would like to keep the rule in place for the second year rather than make expensive wholesale changes to their cars for 2012. We have no problem with this.

FIA Technical Regulation
4.2 - For 2011 only, the weight applied on the front and rear wheels must not be less than 291kg and 342kg respectively at all times during the qualifying practice session. If, when required for checking, a car is not already fitted with dry-weather tyres, it will be weighed on a set of dry-weather tyres selected by the FIA technical delegate.

It must be hard getting a good start if your tall and are trying to race in a car designed for Vettel

Funny how this excuse was used and acknowledged for Webber in 2011 and now but not for Massa in 2010 or 2011 (not Massa being tall but who the car was designed for).

Well it's harder to get a tall person into a small persons car than a small person in to a tall persons car!

But if it is a small person they might not be able to reach the pedals which tends to make them stationary.

Jos, could you publish the weather forecast for the weekend please so that I can comment on it's possible effects.

But if it is a small person they might not be able to reach the pedals which tends to make them stationary.

Jos, could you publish the weather forecast for the weekend please so that I can comment on it's possible effects.
Put in some AA's and they can reach! And I have now check the China race thread

Wouldn't be surprised by that move at all as him and Fernando are good mates and Mark would be seen as the best number 2 around. Also the Flavio connection is quite high.

I'd rather Ferrari take a chance of Perez but maybe they think he might rock the Fernando boat too much

A dream for Webber for one last hurrah and getting along with Alonso will help since he is managed by Flavio who must be licking his lips at the $ he will earn

Only thing I don;t expect Webber to be No 2 as he will race Alonso if given the chance

Alonso's is contracted to Ferrari until 2016 so that would diminish the hopes of Vettel , Perez or Hamilton joining in the case of rocking the boat too much

Luca has this time been less vocal about wanting Vettel like last year

A Webber deal would keep all parties Alonso, Webber and the team happy.

If this is true it would be interesting to see if Red Bull will promote Riccardo (more likely) or Vergne or try and pursue Hamilton then or even Rosberg

I would say off the first 4 results of the season it would be Vergne over Ricciardo wouldn't it? Vergne is 3-1 up on race results despite starting a considerable amount behind Ricciardo for the last 2 GP and his staying on the road on Inters when everyone else was on wets in Malaysia was mighterly impressive. Still a long way to go though but I'd say he was a nose in front of Daniel at this point.

Who would have thunk it... 2nd in the WC after 8 races... lucky some will say... consistently consistent for others...

He likes Silverstone as well... had Seb's number last year until the call from the wall came "Mark... Mark... MAAARK...", still had a pop at SV but backed out of it and settled for 3rd...

Good on him!! I was cheering like hell that Silverstone after Vettel nicked his wing. Hope he does well again this year. I dont like it when teams favour one driver

Back
Top Bottom