Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

After reading through all the arguments, there's one thing that nobody seems to have picked up on - Jenson nearly always brings the car home in a higher position than where he qualified, particularly when he's had a poor quali.

He rarely qualifies highly, so I am not suprised he finishes in a higher position when his car is quite capable of qualifying higher.

Well if anyone has a bit of time on their hands, they can add some statistical significance to the debate by working out the standings for races held in mixed conditions since 2009 (when Jenson found himself in competitive machinery so not to disadvantage him). My belief is that he won't make the top 3 let alone win the comp.
Care to volunteer then and describe the terms changing conditions

as far as I remember the only two other races which he did not win in changing conditions was Korea, Spa last year and Silverstone . - 2 he retired through no fault of his own and one out of the points I will not consider China 2009 because the whole race was in the wet

So I believe he was won the other 4 changing conditions unless you want to add Malaysia 2009 so make that 5 or 4.5 wins

the so called wet weather master Vettel has only won wet races from pole and is actually not as good in mixed conditions

Button has won more changing conditions race than other drivers currently

Just back from a week off, and happy to see a thread about JB at last!

After reading through all the arguments, there's one thing that nobody seems to have picked up on - Jenson nearly always brings the car home in a higher position than where he qualified, particularly when he's had a poor quali. He rarely gets into shunts with other drivers, yet is a robust and clinical overtaker. Ok - he may not be as fiery on-track as Lewis or Fernando, but that does not detract in the slightest from his obvious skill as a racing driver - there is more than one way to skin a cat (apparently).

As a confirmed and public lover of Marmite, Jenson has been my favourite driver for many years - he made 2004 exciting for me, for example, and 2009 was Marmicious bliss for me.

I think Ross Brawn said it best at JB's 200th race party:

"The greatest compliment I can pay Jenson is that I wish he was still driving for me".

Says it all for me, does that...

:thankyou:
If someone like Ross Brawn can say that about Jenson Button and who has mentored Michael Schumacher at Benetton and Ferrari to several world titles then I think people ought to take note
I wonder if its a dig at his Mercedes bosses who are too proud to admit they could have had the world champion winning in Silver Arrows colours instead...oh dear

He rarely qualifies highly, so I am not suprised he finishes in a higher position when his car is quite capable of qualifying higher.

Nor did Alain Prost if you actually checked his records after 1985. Prost would qualify 5th or 6th but still manage to finish on the podiums and steal wins when he should not have

At least Jenson makes up for his qualifying by getting podiums or very close to them when being offered the chance to..something Heikki Kovalainen could not do often enough.

When people give credit to Jenson in that he does not need to start on pole or front row to win races which tells you he is a strong racer.

If you want to compare him to Nick Heidfeld who has a similar trait the key difference between the two is Jenson is faster and bolder whereas Heidfeld makes lucky calls to often and does not seem to have the pace in the dry to keep up with his teammate.

Jenson would have been closer to Kubica in 2008 than Heidfeld was

Jensons fans are idealistic and sometimes romantic, fair enough

But surely they dont really think Jenson would be winning races in this years Merc where Nico and MS can't?

Two words, mind and boggle
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ross said I wish Jenson was still driving for me ............. I think he knows what he is talking about than any opinion on here

Rosberg has said no one could win in his car this year but I'd think if Jenson was in the car he would have performed better at both Canada and Hungary and got it on the podium

Last year in Australia and China he would have won the races in the Mercedes

In the dry the Mercedes has no hope

But surely they dont really think Jenson would be winning races in this years Merc where Nico and MS can't?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Mercedes thought it was worth it to forego the honour of having Car No 1 and pay Jenson less money than paying overinflated wages of ÂŁ20m a year to a driver who was out 3 years and because they thought it would sell their road cars more and make the right noises back in Germany...looks like a big corporate mistake if you ask me

If you want to compare him to Nick Heidfeld who has a similar trait the key difference between the two is Jenson is faster and bolder whereas Heidfeld makes lucky calls to often and does not seem to have the pace in the dry to keep up with his teammate.

Same can be said for Jenson Button...

Alain Prost is a different mould they may have similarities, but no doubt is Prost the better out of the two of them.

Show me supporters of any driver who aren't at some point. but was the quote not attributed to Ross brawn? Now he would likely have said something nice because it was a Jenson party, but to say that in particular seems a little odd, especially if he did not mean it. maybe the big bear was just being romantic and idealistic. the mind boggles.

Besides, I personally believe Jenson could have won in China 2010 in the mercy, and would have done well in canada too. And personally i rate him ahead of rosberg, but who knows. Rosberg has had his chances. but that is for a different thread.

Show me supporters of any driver who aren't at some point.
Rosberg has had his chances.

Certainly not the same chances as Jenson. Jenson is now in his third year in a potential championship winning car. Rosberg has never had a realistic race winning car. He might have thrown away a victory in Singapore in the Williams but the circumstances were somewhat exceptional. I don't think what you have said is in the least bit fair or realistic. Who knows whether Rosberg would do as well as Jenson in the McLaren or the Brawn Jenson drove. I personally think he would have and would do.

But because you do not believe something I have stated as my opinion does not make my opinion unfair or unrealistic, surely?

My opinion of nico is not one for this thread, but personally, I believe jenson to be the better of the two.

Make of that what you will.

But because you do not believe something I have stated as my opinion does not make my opinion unfair or unrealistic, surely?

My opinion of nico is not one for this thread, but personally, I believe jenson to be the better of the two.

Make of that what you will.

I can completely respect your opinion. you have every right to believe that Jenson is the better of the two and I wouldn't try to change your mind about that. To say that Rosberg has "had has chances" when drawing a comparison with Button though is definitely unfair and realistic and I stand by that.

Also, the fact that this is the Jenson thread does not mean that we cannot draw comparisons with other drivers. It is perfectly reasonable that we make those comparisons.

Just another quick point, was nico not offered a drive at McLaren before Jenson? 08 or 09?

Now that discussion is for the Nico thread and if you post the same question on there, I'll be happy to provide a robust response. ;)

To be fair ninja, you simply said that what i had said was unfair and unrealistic, without context.

I agree that rosberg has had little opportunity with race winning machinery, however, that is not to say he has not had chances to get a good result with less. This is something which has been levelled at Jenson in the past. In my opinion, Jenson has done more with what he had in the first few years than nico, and I am not sure nico is doing anything now to change that. I still think that rosberg should have won in China 10, and would have increased his stock no end if he had, likewise Singapore 09.

So whether or not nico has had the same chances as does not remove the fact that nico has had chances

To be fair ninja, you simply said that what i had said was unfair and unrealistic, without context.

I agree that rosberg has had little opportunity with race winning machinery, however, that is not to say he has not had chances to get a good result with less. This is something which has been levelled at Jenson in the past. In my opinion, Jenson has done more with what he had in the first few years than nico, and I am not sure nico is doing anything now to change that. I still think that rosberg should have won in China 10, and would have increased his stock no end if he had, likewise Singapore 09.

So whether or not nico has had the same chances as does not remove the fact that nico has had chances

Still way off topic. Definitely time to take this to the Nico thread and I can go and disagree with everything you have said over there.

I resent the implication that by being a fan of JB I am somehow "romantic & idealistic".

I have been a fan of his since his F3 days, and have followed his rocky F1 road closely up to it's current level - there is no "romance" or "idealism" involved - I prefer to think of it as "loyalty" that my faith in him never wavered, and "vindication" that when he had the opportunity to win the WDC he went and did it (with a race to spare, too).

I thoroughly appreciate and admire all the top F1 drivers, it's just that having nailed my colours to JB's mast many years ago, I am not the sort of bloke to go switching my allegiance just because someone more exciting/talented/determined comes along. If anything, it's more admirable to me that Jenson mixes it with the "better" drivers, as this simply proves his ability.

:goodday:

I still think that rosberg should have won in China 10, and would have increased his stock no end if he had, likewise Singapore 09. So whether or not nico has had the same chances as does not remove the fact that nico has had chances

You could equally say that Jenson should have won in Monza 2010 but he got blitzed on his in and out lap by Alonso. Of, course, you will probably blame the pit-crew for the loss of that victory. There are many other examples where Jenson could have won but didn't. Only, however, whilst he was driving genuinely competitive machinery.

Its all getting a bit Lewis fan vs Jenson fan on here isn't it? I think I tried to say a bit back. I like both and in fact I think by claiming one has no skill you have to conclude the other one has no skill either as they're pretty much matched this season. So lets smoke a pipe of peace and stop with the "Lewis fans are extremists", "Jenson fans are idealists" nonsense and give them both of bit of respect eh?

I mean it all rubbish anyway as neither of them are as good as Buemi.

P.S: Rosberg will never win a Grand Prix!

Last year in Australia and China he would have won the races in the Mercedes

Rosberg started 4th in China, legitimately led the race at some point and finished 3rd some 8seconds behind Hamilton but more importantly ahead of Alonso who is no slouch. I find it hard to believe that Jenson would’ve won the race in the Mercedes.

Back
Top Bottom