Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

You are moving the goal posts. You categorically said that Jenson would've won the race if he was in the Mercs but this flies in the face of available evidence with the McLaren proving to be sometimes up to half a second quicker than the Mercedes in the drying conditions. In fact Jenson and Hamilton also had off road moments during the race so Rosberg was not alone in this regard. What he needed at the time was car performance to keep up with the McLarens not tyre management or strategic calls, so tell us exactly where Jenson would've made the difference.If there ever was a time in recent months when a driver underperformed in wet to changing conditions in an undoubtedly superior car, look no further than Jenson in Korea.

In the mixed conditions Jenson is clearly the best driver on the grid so if he was driving the Merc he would have pulled away further than Rosberg managed. As for his off moment this happened about 5 laps from the end of the race when he actually was pulling away from Hamilton before having to ease up. The mixed conditions is actually the equaliser because driver skill is more important than sheer outright pace in the car. Jenson was not the only person to make the strategic call in China ...Rosberg stayed out as well thats why he was in the lead until he slipped off on lap 19 when he lost about 5 seconds

So you're using one bad race by Jenson compared to the Red Bull guys who have the fastest car but when its wet apart from China 2009 they seem to struggle or be cautious. I am not sure how you can say the Mclaren was a superior car in Korea of all places when it was clear Red Bull and Ferrari in Alonso was faster than them

Il_leone

If you want to talk about the performance of the Redbulls in mixed conditions there is a thread for it.

I prefer to go by the facts and the facts say Rosberg finished third in the Mercedes behind a superior McLaren. The McLaren may not have been the superior car in Korea but it was undoubtedly superior to the Saubers, Toro Rosso and Williams, and merited a higher finishing slot than the 11th place Jenson managed.

The notion that Jenson would’ve won China 010 in the Mercedes is your opinion and I’m not going to change that and so for this reason I’m out.

Il_leone

If you want to talk about the performance of the Redbulls in mixed conditions there is a thread for it.

I prefer to go by the facts and the facts say Rosberg finished third in the Mercedes behind a superior McLaren. The McLaren may not have been the superior car in Korea but it was undoubtedly superior to the Saubers, Toro Rosso and Williams, and merited a higher finishing slot than the 11th place Jenson managed.

The notion that Jenson would’ve won China 010 in the Mercedes is your opinion and I’m not going to change that and so for this reason I’m out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're obviously forgetting why he finished 3rd was because the safety car came out which meant it bunched the entire field again after both Rosberg and Button were a handful of drivers who stayed out early on when other leading cars peeled into the pits including Hamilton . So both Button and Rosberg were around 30 seconds ahead of everyone else for a start

You want to discredit Jenson just because you apparently say he is flukey because his name is not Michael Schumacher otherwise we would be calling him the rainmaster or Lewis Hamilton.

AS much as Lewis scored brilliant wet weather wins back in 2008 at Silverstone and Monaco they owed to the following
1) Mclaren actually fitted the right tyres on him when Ferrari fitted the wrong tyres on Raikkonen who was right behind them at SIlverstone

2) At Monaco he actually smacked the wall and it just happens the pitlane was a few corners away so he could get a new set of wet tyres before he actually romped to win by being on the right tyre
and current mixed conditions results show Jenson Button has come out on top of everyone else including so called wet weather mastersa - Vettel and Alonso

As for Rosberg in the Mercedes in China - the track was damp which is the conditions Button excels in

Who has called Alonso a "wet weather" master?? He's only won one race in the wet from what I remember and it was gifted to him...

And beating "wet weather masters" in changeable conditions is total different from beating "wet weather masters" in full wet conditions.

Don't forget Button has had problems in damp/wet weather, at Silverstone in 2008 he binned it on wet tyres at a time when Barrichello was surging through the field, he threw away a possible podium away

Who has called Alonso a "wet weather" master?? He's only won one race in the wet from what I remember and it was gifted to him...

And beating "wet weather masters" in changeable conditions is total different from beating "wet weather masters" in full wet conditions.

Alonso won at the Nurburgring 2007. The Ferraris were the quicker car, it was not until the final laps when the rain came down that he won the race.

That was the race where Button started in 17th place, the rain came down as soon as the race had started and Button worked his way up to near the front of the field in 1 lap. Then the team distracted him by telling him to do things on the steering wheel, he took his eyes off the road. The result was that he hit a pool of water and went off.

You want to discredit Jenson just because you apparently say he is flukey because his name is not Michael Schumacher otherwise we would be calling him the rainmaster or Lewis Hamilton

One thing I don't understand is that if Jenson is the secret rainmaster you say, why did he not demonstrate this in the wet first stint at the Hungaroring? Or Korea last year?

Alonso won at the Nurburgring 2007. The Ferraris were the quicker car, it was not until the final laps when the rain came down that he won the race.

That was the race where Button started in 17th place, the rain came down as soon as the race had started and Button worked his way up to near the front of the field in 1 lap. Then the team distracted him by telling him to do things on the steering wheel, he took his eyes off the road. The result was that he hit a pool of water and went off.

I am sure that happens to every driver :whistle:

The Ferrari's weren't quicker in the wet at all, maybe in the dry they were just a bit quicker there.

So that's 2 wins for Alonso in the wet then...not exactly a "wet weather master".

Don't forget Button has had problems in damp/wet weather, at Silverstone in 2008 he binned it on wet tyres at a time when Barrichello was surging through the field, he threw away a possible podium away

So has every other driver except Michael Schumacher. in his first stint of F1except running into the back of DC at Spa 1998...looking at the current grid only Michael Schumacher has a better wet weather/ changeable conditions record than Jenson Button

One thing I don't understand is that if Jenson is the secret rainmaster you say, why did he not demonstrate this in the wet first stint at the Hungaroring? Or Korea last year?
There go the detractors again rubbishing Jenson about his ability in these conditions when his record is better than everyone else and its like 1 in every 5 races he's has one bad race

Who's better than JEnson currently then in these conditions ?

I am sure that happens to every driver :whistle:

The Ferrari's weren't quicker in the wet at all, maybe in the dry they were just a bit quicker there.

So that's 2 wins for Alonso in the wet then...not exactly a "wet weather master".

By reputation pundits believe Alonso is quick in the wet or an expert at least

Same as Vettel binning it away in Malaysia 2009, ditto with Hamilton binning it in CHina 2007 both renowned wet weather experts..

its not like Button is the only driver to do so which is what everyone is trying to make out

he was still with the front two in Hungary.

So lets get this right Jenson wins two out of the four races where it rained or was damp last year but people want to slaughter or discredit him for his worst race in those conditions ?

By reputation pundits believe Alonso is quick in the wet or an expert at least

I think the pundits give Alonso "the most complete driver on the grid" a bit too much credit...and one of those being...giving him that title, I don't know where they got that he's a "wet weather master" from.

I think the pundits give Alonso "the most complete driver on the grid" a bit too much credit...and of of those being...giving him that title, I don't know where they got that he's a "wet weather master" from.

Nor do I but when it rains the commentators do seem to talk up Alonso as being one of the drivers to excel or a strong contender at least

I would suggest his teammate, for starters. We can then look back down the grid and pick another 3 or 4 drivers. I don't want to take anything away from Jenson, but I don't want to overhype him either.

There go the detractors again rubbishing Jenson about his ability in these conditions when his record is better than everyone else and its like 1 in every 5 races he's has one bad race

Well in wet conditions such as at the start of Hungary 2011 and at Korea 2010, his teammate comprehensively dusted him. When has Jenson similarly dusted his teammate in wet conditions? Talking about actually driving the car on track, not lucky calls or team strategy

So Jenson has gone from being good in changeable conditions to the outright master in the wet

And we have to accept this as fact or we are 'detractors' out to 'slaughter'

Romance is alive and well in F1

Back
Top Bottom