Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Thats nothing new. People have been suggesting that since the end of last year!

Vandorne is super quick and would love to see him in a Mclaren however I think they'd make a big mistake putting Jenson out to pasture just yet. His performances in that lack luster Mclaren last year (and this) come very under-rated.

I'm a big Vandorne fan but a lot could happen in a year.

Lets remember this time last year people were suggesting the Antonio Felix Da Costa would replace Webber at Red Bull. He was then soundly beaten in World Series, showed a whole bunch of flaws, didn't even get the Toro Rosso seat and ended up in DTM.

A year is a long time!

No. But Ron hasn't said it now either. What he's actually said that if Vandorne carries on the way he is he'll be 'highly desirable'. Then when asked if the 2015 line up with be Magnusen/Vandorne he's said 'possibly. Anything is possible' which is not the same as speculating on it. He is also quoted as saying 'Jenson is doing a great job' but that doesn't make headlines.

Plus it doesn't matter if Ron speculated on it or not. If it turns out that the speculation ends up being a good thing he'll just announce to the world it was him anyways.

Indeed - ask any of Pastor's victims!

I really don't get all this "knives out for Jenson" that goes on - he's a British World Champion, who happens to be a decent chap (when viewed from my sofa, at least). Yes - he may lack that ultimate pace of your Vettels or Hamiltons, but for thinking his way through a race, he's up there with Alonso, I reckon. There are few better than him at overtaking, too. He is still at the top of his game, and would be an asset to any team frankly.

Not if your speed impedes all thought processes and race-craft though!

Yeah sorry I meant it helps in conjunction with. As RoB said you can be quick with the IQ of a goldfish and you can be Einstein but with the speed of, erm, me. Having both is the ultimate goal (obviously they are all quick but being quickest and being smart is the best combo, like Alonso).

Hamberg I've never quite got the love in that everyone seems to have with Alonso. I have no doubt that he is quick, but best "all round driver". Not a hope! He makes silly rookie mistakes still (after 13 years in F1)- cf Malaysia 2013. He could see his front wing hanging off, yet still didn't make the call to come in! He isn't a great overtaker (FIFTY), and doesn't go out and dominate race weekends.

His entire reputation is based on 2005/2006... When he had full Renault backing due to his manager being the boss of the team, he has not won any championships since, and was beaten by a rookie in his season at McLaren.

Hamilton built his reputation based on his performance relative to Alonso. Yet Alonso was the one who was often not quick enough, and was making silly errors!!! Best all round driver? Pah!

The Artist..... I thought this was the Jenson Button thread though I will correct a couple of points you make.
No driver can see his front wing, it was up to the team to make the call for Alonso. The rookie mistakes you refer to are a result of having to overdrive a poor car. To dominate a race weekend once again a driver needs a decent car under him. Regarding not being a great overtaker I can only assume you missed the final GP held at Valencia. From 14th on the grid to the win, one of the great drives of the modern era. He had already reached the front when the Renault engines failed, all but two of the places he gained were on-track passes.

Last edited:
I think Alonso is capable of red mist moments which don't help matters however if I was to pick somebody that's quick and strategic and tactical he's the best.

Hamilton is quick and tactical
Button is quick and strategic
All three are brilliant at defending (Hamilton more aggressively than the other two)

Oh yeah, errrr Jenson Button!

I'd actually put Vettel under the quick and tactical banner and good not great at defending (but better than Mark Webber)

Jenson Button

Back
Top Bottom